Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in Melbourne Australia, have had a new DCT AT tri-colour since April this year, and have just joined the Forum – Hi everyone! I really like the bike and all the differences to my other bike a BMW R1200R. But having “Duck’s Disease” (Aussie slang for a short-ass, I am 5’8”, also I am young 66 years!) the standard AT was too high for comfort at the lights and slow manoeuvring etc. so I decided to get it lowered. I don’t like the low low seat option as then the pegs are too close with knees too bent, so looked for a good suspension lowering option. I will put the findings on my successful lowering experience on the “Lowering – What’s possible thread”, and somewhere a list of my likes and dislikes after about 3000km on road riding. Happy and safe riding to all.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Welcome Vaughan,

It will be interesting to read what you come up with in relation to lowering. How do you like the AT compared with the BM? They are totally different bikes I know, however I'm still interested in your thoughts.

Cheers

Wadeo

Keep the shiny side up!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Vaughan

I just joined as well, I was looking for advice on crash bars. They are a must it seems. I fell over on a greasy track and the RH radiator got pretty bent. Managed to take it out and straighten it but the fan was stuffed as was some of the plastic inner pieces. I am getting the bike ready for a trip around Australia in the last half of next year. I plan to take between 3 - 6 months.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Nitrox32, I have just fitted the Hepco and Becker black tank and engine guards, as these are available in Australia and I am quite happy with them. They fit very neatly on the bike, closely hugging the bike shape, I will post some photos soon. I originally wanted the genuine Honda ones but it seems they are only a tank guard. I also thought I would prefer the SS ones, but having hired an adventure bike in the UK recently which had black ones and speaking to the proprietor he says black ones are much easier to repair scratches - just paint them black again! The H&B ones almost disappear as the black blends in with the other black bike parts. I fitted them myself and they are a bit tricky - for example you have to remove the exhaust system for the engine guards - but quite doable. There are several others worldwide, but not easily available in Australia that I could find - I think there are several threads on the forum.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Wadeo, I have posted my lowering findings on the “Lowering – What’s possible thread”, I had it lowered 40mm which has made me far more comfortable on the bike. Yes the AT is quite different to the BM, I have ridden road bikes for over 40 years so decided I would have a change and join the adventure revolution - a bit like the SUV revolution in cars! At my age I now really need the upright, high bars and forward pegs position which the adventure bikes have of course because they are ridden standing up quite a bit. Then when the full hog (NOT HD!) and decided on the DCT - which I now really like. My 1200 BM has marginally more power and torque than the AT, but still enough for me. The AT is capable of over 200 km/h, enough for me! The AT has chain drive of course so doesn't lose the 3 or 4 HP that shaft drive does.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi Vaughan,
Thanks for posting the advice on lowering the AT. I also agree with you comments about the riding position of Adventure bikes over the roadies. I'm pleased to hear your enjoying your bike.
I have ridden everything from XR 650R to CBR 600RR (few others there too) and I have found the bike has ample power. The wife throws the leg over too sometimes and it still copes well. I think they are just an amazing all round bike that does everything admirably. Your lowering notes are valuable because that might be the one thing on the bike I might tweak!
As for some of the grumbles from some owners about the gear box, I truly believe it's a technique thing. You need to be direct and positive in your shifts. Mine has 3000 k's now and shifts really smoothly. Most bikes will find a false neutral if your not direct. My mates BM can do it too from time to time too.

Cheers

Wadeo

Keep the shiny side up!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Vaughan

I have been doing a lot of research and so far I like the shape and mounting of the Touratech bars they are a bit expensive though

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Although there are now several photos of H&B crash bars in the threads, I attach a couple of mine. I am quite happy with them and after letting my bike fall over when manoeuvering it on a track (rats!) I can confirm that none of the bodywork is touched, the bars and the pegs are the only point of contact. The black colour means I have easily touched up the few scratches. But of course this was a static fall, don't know if they will hold up in a full speed crash.

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hi Vaughan, just new myself and reading your thread and pics.
By the way your a tall Duck compared to my 5'7",haha.
Anyway, I like the AF because I'm a dirt bike rider and I love to sit up on the bike, which I feel with the standard height setting. But as you know the feet just, just reach.
So I'm thinking of lowering as well? Although I'm afraid it may change the geometry which might cause me to sit "in" the bike rather than "on" the bike, if you know what I mean?
From your experience could you please help me by answering this question .
Many Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts