Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I'm currently researching ATAS for my next touring/distance bike. Currently riding a KTM Super Duke GT. I'd be inclined towards an ATAS and a sport bike in favor of trying to get one bike that does everything. I've had no joy with that strategy over the last several bikes I've owned.

Been riding for 12 years? Or something like that. Ridden across the country and back before on a Triumph Sprint ST. I've done 12k miles on my SDGT in (mostly) weekend riding in about 14 months.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I was also looking at the Adventure Sports, mainly for the larger gas tank. What options on the Adv Sports are you interested in?

I ended up getting a 2017 AT DCT for more than $3500 less than the MSRP on the new ATAS DCT. And if I want more fuel range, I can add a Camel tank for about $400 (which gives a little more fuel capacity than the ATAS).

I'm enjoying my AT so far but still getting used to the DCT. It stalled on me once while taking off from a stoplight, so I'm not happy about that. Still trying to figure out what the fix is...

·
Registered
21 Posts
The range of the standard AT is more than adequate IMO. I have a rack that carries a rotopax gas tank on mine. Save the extra money and get a standard AT.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The extra range is mainly it. I prefer the new display that also seems to address some of the visibility problems the older model had. Also, it's meant to address suspension issues and memorizing settings. Honestly I could go either way but, I don't like to stop for fuel so, the ATAS makes sense. Biggest drawback is no cruise control, I've been trying to figure out if there's an aftermarket option that isn't a throttle locker.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I considered both the Rotopax (or two) on a pillion rack and a Camel Tank but I'm leaning towards the latter because the Camel tank feeds directly into the main tank so there's no need to stop and fill up separately. That's if I understand it correctly from the installation video.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Welcome from Big Bear.
I've been riding 32 years. My current garage, Goldwing, Concours and AT.
They ALL are completely different machines and good at specific things.
However, the one I ride every day commuting in SoCal is the AT and being in Big Bear, the AT get's alot of weekends on the Fire Roads as well.
My opinion one bike will never fill all the "Fix."
But the AT is darn close.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I was really surprised to find just how capable it is as an all-round tourer and adventure bike. Really comfy (even with the stock seat), good ergonomics, and fun to ride. I took mine across Canada last summer (in one tour - 15,000 km) and it was excellent.

I think fuel range is less of an issue in Canada and the US. Now that my bike has completely broken in at 22,000 kilometres I find I can easily get between 350-380 kilometres (about 215 miles) to a tank of gas. There aren't that many places you can go that far between gas stations (Northern BC, Yukon, Alaska, way out in Oregon, Idaho).

Kaoko makes a throttle lock, you could also get a Throttle Rocker - I've had one on several bikes and use it for long open highway days.

Good luck with your bike purchase.

The extra range is mainly it. I prefer the new display that also seems to address some of the visibility problems the older model had. Also, it's meant to address suspension issues and memorizing settings. Honestly I could go either way but, I don't like to stop for fuel so, the ATAS makes sense. Biggest drawback is no cruise control, I've been trying to figure out if there's an aftermarket option that isn't a throttle locker.

·
Registered
87 Posts
EvilSteve, I'm "kind" of taking that approach with my bikes. I'm keeping my VFR800 for Sport & Touring and getting an 18 ATAS DCT for Adventure (dirt) - Touring. I like that both of them can handle the touring side of things too.

I was torn between going with a discounted 2017 AT vs a standard 2018 AT vs ATAS. I felt (to each his own on this one) that the updates on the 18 were enough to justify the additional cost of the 18 and I'm an old school Honda guy and I love the 30th anniversary colors on the ATAS and I don't like the colors offered on the standard AT's for 18. Additionally, I like the option of carrying the extra fuel in the fuel tank (closer to the CG), the additional travel on the suspension for when I'm really loaded down and the bar positioning changes on the ATAS vs AT. I figured by the time I got done making the AT or the ATAS like I wanted them the all in cost would not be that much different due to the extras (that benefit me) on the ATAS but YMMV. I'm also going the Alpina, extra wheels, route with Conti TA2's for street on the Alpinas and OEM wheels for TKC-80s (or similar). The ATAS is also a bike I will keep for life...I'm "one" with the VFR so she is not going anywhere.

My VFR800 has a 5.8 gallon tank and I have needed every bit of that fuel when touring...a couple of times really cutting it close when there were no gas stations to be found. fnblackbeards approach works just fine too. I think you just have to do a cost/benefit analysis to see if the ATAS is worth the extra spend based on your preferences and your mission.

Good luck in making your decision and let us know what you decide to do.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts