Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've been riding a Honda NC750X DCT for 5 years now.
I've loved riding this bike. Love the low revving, low torque, exceptionally well balanced bike, easy handling in town, and of course the DCT.
I'm playing with the idea of either getting a new NC, or perhaps looking at something else on the market.
Currently I'm sitting with 2 options: the new BMW F850GS, or the new Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT.
I'm not a big fan of BMW because of service / maintenance costs. And thou it may have Shift Assist, it still isn't DCT.

Regarding the Africa Twin A/S, because it's such a high bike with 21" front wheel, how well does it handle in town / traffic?
And 2nd question: how comfortable is the seat & riding experience on long trips?

I did a 3500 km trip last April on my NC. The last 1000 kms was not very comfortable on my rear... And that was with a gel cushion.

If I can do at least 300 to 400kms without stopping, on the Africa Twin, then this will definitely be my upgrade bike.

Thanks guys for any input you can give.

Safe riding.
Richard

·
Registered
2020 Africa Twin DCT in stealth black (non-Adventure Sports)
25 Posts
I've been riding a Honda NC750X DCT for 5 years now.
I've loved riding this bike. Love the low revving, low torque, exceptionally well balanced bike, easy handling in town, and of course the DCT.
I'm playing with the idea of either getting a new NC, or perhaps looking at something else on the market.
Currently I'm sitting with 2 options: the new BMW F850GS, or the new Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT.
I'm not a big fan of BMW because of service / maintenance costs. And thou it may have Shift Assist, it still isn't DCT.

Regarding the Africa Twin A/S, because it's such a high bike with 21" front wheel, how well does it handle in town / traffic?
And 2nd question: how comfortable is the seat & riding experience on long trips?

I did a 3500 km trip last April on my NC. The last 1000 kms was not very comfortable on my rear... And that was with a gel cushion.

If I can do at least 300 to 400kms without stopping, on the Africa Twin, then this will definitely be my upgrade bike.
Hi Richard -
What did you end up buying? How do you like it? I've test ridden a 2014 NC700 and a 2017 Africa Twin DCT in trying to decide which to buy, and am torn. I KNOW the NC will get the job done, but I don't love the suspension over large potholes, nor the poor wind protection. The Africa Twin has great suspension and wind protection, but it's very tall comparatively. With the 2019 Africa Twin on an incredible year-end sale, I'm leaning toward that, and selling it next year if I'm not in love.
Best,
Jason
Currently: 2016 BMW C650GT scooter

·
Super Moderator
6,359 Posts
Welcome to the Forum @TourerInDC.

I had a 2018 NC750XD and currently ride a 2019 AT-D.

The NC750XD is a really good commuter bike that is incredibly good on gas at pretty well any speed up to full freeway. But power if pretty well gone if powering through above freeway rates. With the AT, you won't have that problem.

Both are good bikes in their own rite. However, the AT will clearly do everything the NC will (sans some economy) and much more.

One more thing: You will forfeit the frunk. That was so handy.

·
Registered
2020 Africa Twin DCT in stealth black (non-Adventure Sports)
25 Posts
Thanks for the quick response. Glad you are enjoying your AT-D. While I don't commute on the bike, my first 25-30 minutes of EVERY ride is stop-and-go city traffic to get to the highway. The AT seems acceptable at that, especially with a lower seat, but you're right that it absolutely excels everywhere else.
The 750X's aren't discounted around me, so I'm in it for $8,900, plus it looks like I'd add about $1,000 to upgrade forks and shock, and the McCruise cruise control will be $900.
The leftover 2019 AT-D is $9,999 and the cruise is only $600, so in the end the outright costs are about identical. I think I'll get the AT and see if I love it. If not, I shouldn't lose too much if I move to an NC the following year.

Thanks, and happy riding,
Jason

1 - 4 of 4 Posts