Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys , well after months of research and tossing between , BMW1200 GS & KTM 1290 & ATwin .... i decided today to order the 2017 White AT ... i spent most of the time evaluating the two European bikes & then a very short time on the Honda , firstly i kept dismissing the AT as just a Honda it cant be as good as they say .... in the end for me comparing Price ( around 500k THB cheaper) , Service , Spares & Performance , bearing in mind i live in Thailand the answer was easy & Honda being huge here ....won ... the downside is 2 month order time as they are imports only . The KTM was originally my first choice having ridden them in Oz , however almost Zero service dealers with trained techs , spare parts delays as limited stocks are held here & the new model range may not arrive until end of the year ...the BMW as much as it is very popular here & good bike it is by all means well supported by a good dealer network , i just could not get used to those cylinders looking up at me .... so now i wait and make the accessory list up as required ... my plan is to travel far and wide , we have a place in the Sth and one in the very Far Nth east on the Mekong river , so some commuting first to get things sorted . The first big trip i may do , is to crossover into Laos from Nong Khai & head upto the Chinese border , across to Vietnam all the way down to Cambodia & cross back into Thailand around Surin or back into Laos & cross over at Mukdahan ..... then back home . I am very glad i found this forum & to be honest of all my google searches on the AT , very very rarely did i find a negative ... again thanks for having me ...Cheers CdM

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Guys , well after months of research and tossing between , BMW1200 GS & KTM 1290 & ATwin .... i decided today to order the 2017 White AT ... i spent most of the time evaluating the two European bikes & then a very short time on the Honda , firstly i kept dismissing the AT as just a Honda it cant be as good as they say .... in the end for me comparing Price ( around 500k THB cheaper) , Service , Spares & Performance , bearing in mind i live in Thailand the answer was easy & Honda being huge here ....won ... the downside is 2 month order time as they are imports only . The KTM was originally my first choice having ridden them in Oz , however almost Zero service dealers with trained techs , spare parts delays as limited stocks are held here & the new model range may not arrive until end of the year ...the BMW as much as it is very popular here & good bike it is by all means well supported by a good dealer network , i just could not get used to those cylinders looking up at me .... so now i wait and make the accessory list up as required ... my plan is to travel far and wide , we have a place in the Sth and one in the very Far Nth east on the Mekong river , so some commuting first to get things sorted . The first big trip i may do , is to crossover into Laos from Nong Khai & head upto the Chinese border , across to Vietnam all the way down to Cambodia & cross back into Thailand around Surin or back into Laos & cross over at Mukdahan ..... then back home . I am very glad i found this forum & to be honest of all my google searches on the AT , very very rarely did i find a negative ... again thanks for having me ...Cheers CdM
Congratulations. I'm ordering mine tomorrow in Udon Thani. Red/white/ black manual transmission. I'm also working on my accessory list, skid plate, upper-lower crash bars, pegs 12v, tires..... Can't wait.
Maybe we'll cross paths in the NE
Good luck and happy trails.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bogey , great news , i was told today it would be around 10 weeks :-( i ordered the white red blue , with gold wheels manual as well ..... looks like we are destined to meet as i am also doing my lists and research on accesories lol... i will be up that way in the next few weeks ....goodluck

cheers Chris

·
Registered
86 Posts
Totally awesome to hear your plans and choice of the AT. I'll be in Cambodia and Thailand early December with my wife, so if I see an AT screaming past - I'll make sure to wave you down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts