Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the page and motorcycles. I'm going to riding with a few friends. I'm going back and forth between a 2019 and a 2017. Both are DCT. is the price difference really worth the extra bells and whistles on the 19.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,007 Posts
Hi and welcome
they did quite a few improvements on the 19 and most consider the improvements worth the $$$.

Reactions: DoubleThumper

·
Super Moderator
6,436 Posts
I'm new to the page and motorcycles. I'm going to riding with a few friends. I'm going back and forth between a 2019 and a 2017. Both are DCT. is the price difference really worth the extra bells and whistles on the 19.
Welcome to the Forum Texas Twin. Whatever your choice, may you enjoy it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You will be happy with either. I did a ton of research before buying a bike, but the ride is what sold me. Nothing can duplicate seat time. I chose the ATAS because of the look, and extra amenities. The paint looks so much better in person too.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,007 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You will be happy with either. I did a ton of research before buying a bike, but the ride is what sold me. Nothing can duplicate seat time. I chose the ATAS because of the look, and extra amenities. The paint looks so much better in person too.
Agreed.
The paint on the 19 looks unbelievably so much better in person, I have yet to see any picture do it justice.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
TXtwin,
Well, while I've only really been owning, riding and learning about the Africa Twin for a little over a month now, I might suggest you go for the '19. As I've been led to believe, the 2016-2017 versions are the same in technology etc. The 2018-2019 are an improved model with quite a few modifications/alterations and improvements over the '16-'17 ones. The 2020 is highly modified over the previous versions.

The main mod/alteration/improvement of the '18-'19 over the '17 is the Fly by wire or, I should say, throttle by wire. You see, the '17's had/have regular cables for the throttle. The '18's and up, use throttle sensors and wires to operate the throttle on the bike. It's a more civilized style of throttle operation. Planes, autos and a whole lot more, have been utilizing fly-by-wire technology for almost decades. There are other improvements. Here's a link that might help you decide one way or the other. Good luck and happy hunting. These are outstanding bikes.
Scott

Reactions: DoubleThumper
1 - 6 of 6 Posts