Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
How cool does this look ?
This set up does sometimes make a bike "wobble " a bit at high speed though
Photoshop bikes don't woble :wink2:

On a more serious note, high fender does make the bike less stable at high speeds and the rider gets a bit more dirty / wet when driving in the rain :smile2:

I am sure, the likes of TT will soon come up with a kit to raise the fender. Not perfect, but definitely an improvement over oem design. I will definitely lift my front fender a couple of cm prior to putting TKC-80's.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had a quick look at the front 'fender' this evening. Should be fairly simple to fabricate a few brackets to raise it 10-15mm. Although the front edge sits fairly high above the tyre, it's the rear ( black) part that is far too close.

Just a word of warning, the 6 hex bolts that fix the fender are VERY soft, with not much depth to put the hex key in! Definitely a cost saving fixing.

·
Registered
359 Posts
That's another reason for making sure you have the perfect hex end and even spray some lube as best as you can under the bolt, then being mindful of the pressure used to turn. would hate to strip it

·
Registered
122 Posts
Looks like it needs a high mud guard after seeing this photo..

...which was the result of getting too much mud between it and the tyre which then ripped it off.

·
Registered
123 Posts
This isn't so easy. If I recall correctly (KTM 990 projects), you need to change and reroute brake cables.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wish mine would have broken off! Instead as it flexed forward from the built up mud it applies pressure to the top of the tire acting like a break. It totally locked up and the front washed out and down I went!

Definitely needs a lift or high fender kit!

·
Registered
384 Posts
I wish mine would have broken off! Instead as it flexed forward from the built up mud it applies pressure to the top of the tire acting like a break. It totally locked up and the front washed out and down I went!

Definitely needs a lift or high fender kit!
If you do get into thick mud like the photo above just take the front guard off and bungie it to the bike some place until you get out of the mud.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've fitted the RR lift kit. It's simple to fit with no adjustment needed for the cables. It's just 2 stainless plates with threaded bushes spot welded on. Beware though, the welds are very weak and any slight over tightening will break the welds and the threaded bush just spins. They do the job but definitely need stronger welds!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Thanks for the Heads-Up welshgar, on the weak welds.
Did you test with MUD before and after? does it work?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yep, I have them on mine now! They definitely do the job, but the back bracket has only one nut bolt so it tends to move forward when trying to tighten it up. I used lock tight to help solve the problem. The brackest are fool-proof and work well - now ready for some serious tyres. Buy and try!

·
Registered
27 Posts
RR +1 should help same type of kit on SMT990 no issues at 20 thou, high fender no offense looks goofy!!

·
Registered
893 Posts
Just arrived the other day. I've installed the simple brackets that lift the fender about 20mm (3/4").

I guess I'll see if that is enough when caked with mud. The Rugged Roads Fender Lift kit has doubled the distance between the stock tire and the fender.

Not sure if that will be the case with tires with a thicker or knobbier tread though.

Any higher and the ABS sensor wire would be stretched to its limit and the brake lines would be pulled tight.

I'm sure that someone out there will create a solution for a higher kit for those that are going to use their bikes in a primarily off-road sort of way.

Hi all, a quick search on the web found RUGGED ROADS has a 20mm front fender lift kit, check it out, has anybody used one? please let us know. Thanks.
http://ruggedroads.co.uk/Front-Fender-Lift-Kit-CRF1000-2016

·
Registered
893 Posts
That's an interesting idea, too. Although, now all the mud and road gunk will flip up on to your radiators. Not sure this is the solution either.

If it could be set up to be about 2-4 inches above the front wheel I think it would be ideal - enough for mud and gunk to clear but not enough to have no protection from road mess.

I guess time will tell and someone will figure out a solution. To be honest, I'm not sure how much time I'll be spending 'mudding' on a bike that is this expensive. :laugh:

Reactions: SurfsUp
1 - 20 of 43 Posts