Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2017 AT has just turned over 60,000 miles and I am facing a dilemma, should I upgrade to a new AT or show this one some love?

I have a laundry list of maintenance items I should attend to, including the following:

Re-seal stator cover again in a vain attempt to stop the oil seepage
Replace spark plugs
New fork fluid, seals, and bushings
New clutch pack

I should also think about having the factory shock service and consider replacing the brake disc, they are getting close to the 'change me' thickness

I love my '17 and have entertained the idea of putting 100,000 miles on it, but wonder if the money I would need to put tto spend on maintenance would be better spent on a new AT?

I appreciate all your thoughts and comments!

Brian

·
Registered
Rally Red 2017 dct.
142 Posts
I too have a '17 but low mileage, I can't see me changing it unless something serious happens.

Do you think it would be more cost effective to service your bike rather than replacing it to just start again.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I ran into the problem, with 77,000 miles on my '17, dealers did not want to take it in on trade due to 'high mileage and no one will buy it'. Of course, an automobile with a liquid cooled engine at 77K is no problem. So I plan to trade my '21 ATwin for 'the next one' at around 50K.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CRF 1000L Manual
942 Posts
IMHBIO, 77k is not a deal breaker as long as you do the necessary maintenance. If she runs and rolls without issue then keep going. The AT's engine is a fairly derated machine. As a result she's not eating herself as you roll down the road taking care not to abuse the drive system.

·
Super Moderator
10,763 Posts
"Keep", me thinks.

But that decision varies from person-to-person, and their financial disposition, and urge to keep up with whoever they are chasing.

There will always be greener grass coming the moment you buy into the latest. It is up to you to own that process.

·
Administrator
4,224 Posts
My wife doesn't have as many miles on her 2017 as you do (48K), but she plans to give it a little love as far as suspension and run it into the ground. She has had no issues with it so far other than normal wear items.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the feedback, it is truly appreciated!

I will talk with my local Honda dealer next week about when they could get my AT in for some service. I could do it myself but re-shimming the intake valves is scaring me a little. I will strip the bike down before taking it in to save on some labor.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback, it is truly appreciated!

I will talk with my local Honda dealer next week about when they could get my AT in for some service. I could do it myself but re-shimming the intake valves is scaring me a little. I will strip the bike down before taking it in to save on some labor.
I understood the Africa Twins up to 2019 use single screw tappets instead of shims for valve lash. Later models may have changed.

·
Registered
CRF1100 DCT 2021
376 Posts
Money not being the issue, changing your Honda about every 4 years of regular use, let say 10000km/year, and you may avoid all the big maintenance jobs, plus you get all the perks of the new generations. More than 4 years and the deprecation will be substantial for the trade in. And of course, a well maintained good bike will still be a good old bike, but rust, rubbers aging and a myriad of pieces are slowly decaying no matter what care you take. Next generation expected should be 2024. Though, 2020-2 models have significant improvements over the 2017's, which were and still may be perfectly fine rides!! Changing at the middle of each generations may not be a bad bet too. In my opinion, changing more often than every 3 or 4 years gets tiresome, because off all the farkling a new bike needs, especially if you do it by yourself.

·
Super Moderator
10,763 Posts
I think you should keep it, these AT’s can easily go between 100.000 and 200.000 km’s, and you already have a history with the bike :)
Agreed, but again it always depends on the rider's whims and feelin' of the "flavour of the day" - usually most prominent in the spring time.

There is a certain pride riding a dependable machine with 100K / 200K on the clock.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I understood the Africa Twins up to 2019 use single screw tappets instead of shims for valve lash. Later models may have changed.
My AT uses tappets for the exhaust valves, but the intake valves use buckets and shims.

I have been watching more YouTube and believe I could re-shim the intake valves myself. I would be a learnng experience!

·
Registered
25 Posts
My answer would depend on if you're replacing with new or 2nd hand.
Seems to me it's too young still to replace with a younger 2nd hand.
If you have the money for new (and the patience to deal with the touch screen :D) it'll be a matter of spending more money on new or spending more time on maintenance. That's a very personal preference.

·
Registered
CRF1000L | KLX300SM
422 Posts
Since getting my AT five years ago this month, I've bought three other new bikes and sold/traded two of them. Too much paid to sales tax!

I'll be keeping my AT for quite a while as it just runs so well. Have most likely retired it from Jeep trails of the Rocky's though.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts