Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Registered
256 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I LOVE my AT! I will keep it and show it the love it deserves. :)

Now I need need to find another daily rider while I work on the AT. ;)
From a financial perspective this is the best choice. You can dump a couple thousand dollar into maintenance and still be ahead of buying new.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks again for all the advice and support.

I am starting today by draining the oil, removing the EOP switch, re-applying some high temp thread sealant, and putting everything back. Hopefully, this solves my oil weeping issue.

· Registered
2016 Africa Twin 1000A/D DCT/ABS
50 Posts
Thanks again for all the advice and support.

I am starting today by draining the oil, removing the EOP switch, re-applying some high temp thread sealant, and putting everything back. Hopefully, this solves my oil weeping issue.
I agree with others here, keep it. I have a 2016 fully farkeled...seriously farkeled. It's my last bike unless they come up with an amazing EV bike. Installed are McCruise, Power Commander, Ohlin suspension, B&B Dakar skidplate (that has saved the bike so many times off-road) BUMOT panniers, GIVI topbox, and Seat Concepts seats to name a few. It has just enough electronics that it's easy to fix yourself and you don't have to mortgage the house to replace something as it is with the new bikes, and you don't have to wait 20 + seconds before you can start the bike. As AT95JOSH pointed out you have a history with it, you know it. I have stripped my bike down a few times and now it's easy peezy. On the other hand if you have money to burn then by all means go and drop nearly $20,000 for a new one, more if you are going to add farkles.

· Registered
331 Posts
My '17 is at 55000kms. I have no intention of upgrading becuase of the odometer. The bike and I have grown up together and I have her set up the way I like her.
Off the things you mention, the oil leak is the only one that would have me wondering about upgrading, the other things are just simple maintenance and nothing a intermeidate home mechanic can not do alone. Hmm maybe the forks too but these do not cost a lot to get a mech to sort out.

Actually I like the low frills nature of the '17 model. I am no fan of TFT displays and 1001 settings that are never used.
I find the 3 levels of traction control plenty enough for me.

I am an off raoder and now I think about it, the weak footpeg mounts (already broke one) and the weak side stand (also broke one of these) are not great on the '17.
Have the later versions of the AT fixed these problems. Not that this would sway me, but I am curious.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I'm going to keep it, need to put 100,000 miles on it!

I believe I have found the location of the oil weep, it looks like it is right above the EOP switch. When I re-sealed the stator cover I did not take my engine bars off, and this made re-installing the cover a little tricky, I think I wiped some sealant over in that location. At the next oil change, in a couple of thousand miles, I'll remove the engine bars and re-re-seal the stator cover.

Time to order parts, need to re-build shocks, replace the spark plugs, etc!

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
First, my apologies for being tardy on updating this thread and second, resealing the stator cover helped but did not totally eliminate my oil seep - on to other issues!

I rode a friends bike and noticed how easy it was to pull the clutch on their bike, so I replaced the clutch cable on my '17 AT and WOW! what a difference. Also like getting a whole new bike :)

While adjusting the new clutch cable I had to use the majority of the adjustment, so a new clutch pack has been ordered and will be installed at the 72,000 mile oil change.

Off to eBay to search for used front forks and rear shock

· Registered
516 Posts
I am an off raoder and now I think about it, the weak footpeg mounts (already broke one) and the weak side stand (also broke one of these) are not great on the '17.
Have the later versions of the AT fixed these problems. Not that this would sway me, but I am curious.
The 18/19's have a upgraded right peg but the same liquorice side stand.
Camel Adv make a peg support bracket for 16/17's as well as the camel toe side stand.
I was chasing camel toe side stand but cant swallow the price.

· Registered
44 Posts
I think the 2016 is almost a lifetime motorcycle. I have a 2017 and it is extremely reliable and low maintenance. Your 2016 is a high miler! I am at 24K. The sweet engine in these things should go 100K miles at least.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
For my two penneth I'd leave the spark plugs, I'm assuming they're the SILMAR8A9S (90992) plugs, NGK give them a 100,000 mile service life!
Sweet!

67,000 miles and still running great

Might pull one at 72,000 miles to see what it looks like

Sent from my C6930 using Tapatalk

21 - 30 of 30 Posts