Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if anyone else has encountered severe wobbling on their CRF1000L when traveling at high speeds. I've noticed that when I get around the 160km/h range and faster the front end of the bike starts violently wobbling from side to side to the point where it feels like I'm going to crash unless I immediately slow down. I've never experienced something similar with other bikes I've owned.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any tips for how to limit it?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I remember seeing another comment about wobble, I have not not noticed any on my bike but I have not exceeded the UK speed limits ;-)

Try a search for steering dampers I think that was mentioned during that discussion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have no problems and I ride 150-160 almost every day (no problems at 205-210 either). I'm using standard suspension settings and I weigh 78 kg.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for feedback, everyone. I will play with suspension when I reunite my beloved AT next week and see if that makes a difference. I should add that it seems to happen more when there's a little wind on the highway, but nowhere near the kind of tornado-like conditions that I've ridden other bikes through in the past without problems.

And not sure if this could be related, but I was practicing (carefully) dropping the bike and picking it up and while doing so the front wheel went completely out of whack and I had to bang it (again, carefully) against a wall to align it again. During my 1000km check up the Honda dealer said this was normal to prevent something from breaking, but still I had him tighten it a bit anyway. I also have a set of the very un-aerodynamic ST Motech luggage system and a Powerbronze touring screen, not sure if either of those could affect the wobble.

Otherwise, I just rode 3,000 km through the Balkans over the past week and loved every second of it. It's really a great bike.

·
Registered
124 Posts
If you dropped it and got the forks out of line then this would be a very possible cause of your wobble. Banging it even carefully is not a proper way to realign the front forks. You need to loosen the top and bottom triple a tad, get on the bike, and bounce the forks till they are lined up again. Other causes for front end wobble would be steering nut too loose, front wheel air pressure too low, and fork alignment. The rear suspension could do it but you already confessed the obvious.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Carefully laying a bike down should not put the forks out of line. That suggests to me that the clamps and/or axle were not tightened properly. With respect, banging it against a wall will not have done the seals or bushings any favours and as Fbv suggests the clamps should have been loosened, also the axle.

Luggage can cause handling issues for a bike with improperly adjusted suspension and especially a loaded topbox riding solo. For that reason I never use a top box when solo.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have taken it to 135mph ( according to the optimistic speedo ) with no issues at all .
Suspension settings sounds like the right direction to look at IMO.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes

Yes I've had this between 80-90 MPH and when getting hit by a gust when passing a truck or switching lanes, or on-off the throttle. last weekend was the first time I took a long highway ride. I haven't messed with the froks at all, so they're really soft from the factory setting and I also had my GIVI Trekker cases loaded up and a tent on the back so I know the front end was light. If you move forward on the seat it will stabilize this but I'm sure I need to set up the fork and also It would probably benefit from a steering damper.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You've also got to remember you have big wide bars with big un-aero dynamic hand guards on the end, if the bars turn slightly the drag on the bars changes and it's quite easy to trigger a wobble ( passing trucks is best for this!). I noticed a marked increase in this behaviour when I switched to Bark Busters from OEM guards. It's not an issue and i've got used to it, its a characteristic of having big wide bars and a relatively narrow fairing. If you don't believe me remove your hand guards and see the difference it makes.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The bike should be perfectly stable at top speed.
I can safely go 160 with a passanger and lugguage.
I had a similar woble from 150 kph on my varadero after I hit a car in the rear. The forks had no visual damage. But the second hand replacement wheel needed a lot of wheelweights. So I assumed that was the cause.
Perhaps start of with a front wheel balance, 10 minute job at a tireshop and should only cost a few dollars/euro's/...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the feedback. I took my AT to the dealer and they experienced the same wobble when they went out for a ride. So they sent the tires to get tested, trued the wheels, tightened the fork (the wheel is still a bit out of alignment, I’ll try to fix that *without* any wall banging this time) and the rear suspension. Like many of you suggested, the source of the problem was probably the rear suspension. I took out the bike for 150km of highspeed highway driving yesterday in some pretty intense winds. It’s a tall bike so getting blasted by random wind gusts was a bit unnerving, but other than that I didn’t feel any wobbling. I felt much more confident at high speeds and also in the corners. I think I’ll remove the top box for any serious highway riding in the future, both for added stability and comfort for my passenger. But after sorting out this issue I'm feeling much better about my beloved AT and excited to get back out there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
No wobble up to 115mph on Twin no bags or with passenger preload raised 4 clicks from stock
Griff is correct- try raising rear preload, bags add rear weight lightens front end
Bags catch the wind most are about as aero as a barn dragging on the bike
Remove bags and test then try some new settings
Get that front end checked you should have it realigned after your crash testing, that info worries me!! Frostbite is correct!!
You can cheat a little and tighten steering stem just a little though make sure bars still move smoothly don't want to damage bearings
990smt same issue after bags adj suspension wobble free
Friends 1190r same issue with bags and steering damper then made suspension adj wobble went away
Be careful and good luck lets us know if you solve it!!

·
Registered
479 Posts
160KPH indicated, two up with panniers (200kg in total) no wobble. It is not the bike (assuming you have not damaged forks, wheels, tyres, frame etc), jack up your rear suspension preload, this bike should not need a steering damper for any road use, you are just masking the problem by fitting a damper.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts