Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Surprisingly I couldn't find a thread asking this question, or maybe I didn't search hard enough.
I'm curious about the long term reliability of the AT, specifically the DCT, because I own one.
The bike has been out for getting on 3 years now so what sort of mileages have DCT owners covered in that time and as unlikely as it is, has anyone had to have a worn clutch replaced?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think William Gloege has over 50k on his AT traveling the world.
All documented on you tube. A good watch if you haven't seen them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi
I have 41000 kms on my DCT and enjoy every one, about 70% off road, the only problem I have is not enough days off to ride more and winter is a coming!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
63000 km and no issues other than fork seals. Leaving for Vegas next week, hopefully this post doesn’t jinx me.
Apologies, I missed your post. Looks like we have at least a couple of bikes that have clocked over 60,000 kms without problems.

I've got a lot of catching up to do so I'd better get my gear on and go for a ride!

·
Registered
78 Posts
21,000 miles since Aug 2017. Only two minor issues: one fork seal and one leaking stater cover both covered by warranty. Other than that all good

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’m at 42,000 miles 2016 manual, so far no problems
67,600 kms by my reckoning. I take my hat off to you.

I guess we are all guilty at times of only publishing our bad news but putting aside cosmetic issues like spokes and annoying issues like heated grips that don't, Honda have made a cracking bike in the AT and the long term reliability looks promising.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Given everything I understand about DCT and the way it works... As well as experiencing it for myself. Comparing and contrasting this with...38 years riding manual bikes.

I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if 100,000 miles turned out to be at the very lowest of the average range.. And the vast majority of owners got more.. A lot more miles than that from the original clutches.

Not an exhaustive search by any means... But I could not find a single post on the interweb machine about changing worn clutch 'anything' on a Honda Motorcycle DCT. A few clutch related faults.. Yes. Problems sorted by Honda under warranty. But a clutch or clutches that have worn out? No.

Nothing that stood out.. Because I guess it would, like a sore thumb.

·
Registered
492 Posts
It's impossible to abuse the clutch when the machine is doing all the thinking. They're the same design as in a regular automatic transmission in a car. How often do those fail in regular use?

·
Registered
127 Posts
It's impossible to abuse the clutch when the machine is doing all the thinking. They're the same design as in a regular automatic transmission in a car. How often do those fail in regular use?
I was led to believe Its a dual clutch transmission meaning same as manual but electronic shifting using hydraulics and computer to shift, An automatic uses a Torque converter, and This system uses a fluid coupling in place of a friction clutch, and accomplishes gear changes by hydraulically locking and unlocking a system of planetary gears!. Only Saying..

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm not surprised at all to these bikes going over 100,000 miles. Matter of fact I expect them to. Nothing really spectacular about that. Plenty of V-stroms have gone over that mark without issue. There's a documented case of one going over 400,000 miles without any rebuild or major issues, just normal wear and tear stuff. Now that is spectacular. Can the AT last that long? The engine might, but I think other parts (frame, wheels, forks) will corrode by then.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts