Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Highest Mileage on the AT

61K views 54 replies 38 participants last post by  Ghostrider.1127 
#1 ·
Surprisingly I couldn't find a thread asking this question, or maybe I didn't search hard enough.
I'm curious about the long term reliability of the AT, specifically the DCT, because I own one.
The bike has been out for getting on 3 years now so what sort of mileages have DCT owners covered in that time and as unlikely as it is, has anyone had to have a worn clutch replaced?

#13 ·
67,600 kms by my reckoning. I take my hat off to you.

I guess we are all guilty at times of only publishing our bad news but putting aside cosmetic issues like spokes and annoying issues like heated grips that don't, Honda have made a cracking bike in the AT and the long term reliability looks promising.

#15 ·
Given everything I understand about DCT and the way it works... As well as experiencing it for myself. Comparing and contrasting this with...38 years riding manual bikes.

I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if 100,000 miles turned out to be at the very lowest of the average range.. And the vast majority of owners got more.. A lot more miles than that from the original clutches.

Not an exhaustive search by any means... But I could not find a single post on the interweb machine about changing worn clutch 'anything' on a Honda Motorcycle DCT. A few clutch related faults.. Yes. Problems sorted by Honda under warranty. But a clutch or clutches that have worn out? No.

Nothing that stood out.. Because I guess it would, like a sore thumb.

#21 ·
Wow! That's impressive. Really good logs and tire reports on his website.
So he's had to do routine service (oil change, filters, air filter, brakes and tires) and only two 'major' things - rear bearing replacement around 130,000 kilometres and the right side control/ignition. Pretty good track record for our bikes so far.

#18 ·
I was led to believe Its a dual clutch transmission meaning same as manual but electronic shifting using hydraulics and computer to shift, An automatic uses a Torque converter, and This system uses a fluid coupling in place of a friction clutch, and accomplishes gear changes by hydraulically locking and unlocking a system of planetary gears!. Only Saying..

#19 · (Edited)
I'm not surprised at all to these bikes going over 100,000 miles. Matter of fact I expect them to. Nothing really spectacular about that. Plenty of V-stroms have gone over that mark without issue. There's a documented case of one going over 400,000 miles without any rebuild or major issues, just normal wear and tear stuff. Now that is spectacular. Can the AT last that long? The engine might, but I think other parts (frame, wheels, forks) will corrode by then.

#26 ·
Just a few ticks off of 50,000 kilometres. Not a single issue to report. Just basic maintenance - oil/filter, tires, lube stuff. That's it.
The only thing that finally failed was the side stand - it's bent from my summer trip. Otherwise, it's been a terrific bike in every way.

Reactions: jamnut
#28 · (Edited)
I have always put about 25000 miles per year on my bike. However, my 2016 Africa Twin DCT has been a exception to the rule I have kept sense 1958. O’yea I am in my mid 70’s.

Purchased this bike on November of 2016. Sense then after 2 knee replacements, two eye lenses replaced, two eye lid operations, two teeth removed, a heart attract, AFIB, shock treatments, 4 months in a life vest, 19 stitches in by left leg, dislocated right shoulder, and a concussion. ONLY 25000 miles in three years. This getting old is not for sissy’s..............

Now that I can ride again, my DCT is now in the shop for almost 2 months now with shifting problems.

An all I have ever really wanted to do is JUST RIDE.

#29 ·
I have always put about 25000 miles per year on my bike. However, my 2016 Africa Twin DCT has been a exception to the rule I have kept sense 1958. O’yea I am in my mid 70’s.

Purchased this bike on November of 2016. Sense then after 2 knee replacements, two eye lenses replaced, two eye lid operations, two teeth removed, a heart attract, AFIB, shock treatments, 4 months in a life vest, 19 stitches in by left leg, dislocated right shoulder, and a concussion. ONLY 25000 miles in three years. This getting old is not for sissy’s..............

Now that I can ride again, my DCT is now in the shop for almost 2 months now with shifting problems.

An all I have ever really wanted to do is JUST RIDE.

Wishing you the best sir, with your health and the bike. I sure hope I can ride until I'm 90 if I make it there :)

#34 ·
DCTFAN, you are one to be calling me hard. If I remember correctly, every time we have ridden together you are the one passing me up. Saw you just did the Oregon trail. I tore my ACL on that trip. I have not ridden the Colorado trail, hopefully this fall some time soon. But first another trip to the Appalachian Mountains.

#35 ·
Well it seems I bought the right bike when I told my wife this would be my last one... So I bought it June 29 2019 and currently have 80 miles.

On July 12 I broke toe (un-related to bike) and been resting it for 6 weeks with walking boot. Just got a Remus exhaust and Kaoko hnd310, now searching for crash bars. Can't wait to visit family in the carolinas this fall.

So if it's this reliable does anyone think I should get the extended 6 year warranty? Dealer wants $1,000 and includes roadside during that time.

#36 ·
Well it seems I bought the right bike when I told my wife this would be my last one... So I bought it June 29 2019 and currently have 80 miles.

On July 12 I broke toe (un-related to bike) and been resting it for 6 weeks with walking boot. Just got a Remus exhaust and Kaoko hnd310, now searching for crash bars. Can't wait to visit family in the carolinas this fall.

So if it's this reliable does anyone think I should get the extended 6 year warranty? Dealer wants $1,000 and includes roadside during that time.
I did. I have only had to use the roadside once, because I got a flat and didn't have a repair kit with me (I know I should have been carrying one), but it worked well, went very smoothly and Honda was a pleasure to deal with. Very good communication and follow up.

As it turned out, I ended up deciding to trade my 2016 AT in for an ATAS after a couple of years and got a pro-rated rebate from the original warranty back, which I applied toward the new one.

If I only end up needing it for that 1 tow, I will knock on wood and be OK with that.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

#37 ·
2016 bought new in May 2016 manual. 21k miles. No issues except for left tank emblem falling off somewhere in Georgia. And occasional rough idle when cold starting but goes away in after a few seconds. Other than that the bike has been solid. Not sure about the rough idling it's always done it.

#38 · (Edited)
2017 manual tricolor bought in April 2017, 32K miles so far (i.e. in 2.5 years) with no significant problem, ridden hard in Europe, Asia and Africa and taken quite often off-road.

The only issue I had was the standard fork wear at the lower clamp point, I did not have any stiction but since I saw it while changing the fork oil, I got Honda to replace the fork upper under warranty just before the latter expired (bike had then 28K miles). I bet it will re-appear (only the ATAS uppers possibly cure it) but I will not bother from now on.

For information, I change the oil every 4K miles (filter every other oil change) unless I am on the road, as when in the trips to Asia and Africa where I changed it after 6K miles. We checked the valves only at 29K miles and we found them all in spec, I have written elsewhere in here.

Only modifications I have done are: 1-tooth bigger rear sprocket (a must IMO), a beefier rear spring (95N/mm as opposed to the original 82.5N/mm) and a modification of the driver's seat to make it a bit more comfortable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.