Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, thought I would share with you my lastest home made comfort mod

Some background: I ride my bike as much as I can and never "put it away" for the winter. As long as the roads are not frozen or covered with snow, I ride.
I have heated grips, standard bark buster guards, and warm gloves but I find the cold air circulating in behind the barkbusters still uncomfortable.

Solution: create a removable extend flap for the barkbusters.

·
Registered
1998 Valkyrie, 2017 Africa Twin, 2002 Vulcan, 2007 KLR, 1970 550 Suzuki L
73 Posts
Mr Mastercore

As Mr Tripod said it is very creative. Could you please explain in some details your craftmanship. And what type of material you used.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Not bad Mastercore, not bad at all. I do dabble in sewing on occasion too. I'm not the greatest at it but, it's fun to me, just to create something. Nice work.
Scott

Reactions: Mastercore

·
Registered
132 Posts
Very Similar to what I use, mine are snowmobile "Cold Guards". Im not a huge fan of how mine look, but they are functional

Reactions: Mastercore

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my goal was to create an extension to the standard storm bark buster guards.
I noticed that they do act as a pretty good wind breaks, but when the wind is cold, a bit more is needed.

There was a requirement that they should be super easy to install and remove
They should be very tiny when not in use (compact packing space when touring)
They should be compatible with standing and sitting riding.
When removed, there should be no obvious modification visible (soft side of velcro on inside edge of guard only)

So I used some light grade tarpoline that I had lying around for another project. and sew on velcro.

It took a little screwing about to come up with the cutting pattern.
A lot of trial and error with tape and carton templates before I got it.

What would I do better?
First there was no seam around the outer edge. The edge would flap around like crazy at highway speeds.
So I sewed a seam around the outer edge. This helped a lot but still get some flapping
If I had not made the seam so small I would now insert a thin wire to add more stability to the edge, but the need is obviously not that high because I still have not done this mod.

The toughest part was getting the actual cutout form right so when installed, it fanned out enough.
There could be a bit of refinement to this still, but as I said, works good enough for me.

Thanks for the likes guys

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Mr Mastercore

As Mr Tripod said it is very creative. Could you please explain in some details your craftmanship. And what type of material you used.
Hey mate, just read the post 2 before this one. I have gone into some details of my thinking and the way I did this.

for background: I am a furniture designer so messing around with this stuff is what I do every day. I do not normally work with textiles, but I am learning

If you want to know more, just ask.
I could even share the pattern if it is needed by anyone. Its only the inner edge that is really crucial. It determines the flare angle of the material.

Next year I think I will probably make a new one with an extended underside.

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts
Hey mate, just read the post 2 before this one. I have gone into some details of my thinking and the way I did this.

for background: I am a furniture designer so messing around with this stuff is what I do every day. I do not normally work with textiles, but I am learning

If you want to know more, just ask.
I could even share the pattern if it is needed by anyone. Its only the inner edge that is really crucial. It determines the flare angle of the material.

Next year I think I will probably make a new one with an extended underside.
RE textiles: A good skill to have for making motorcycle saddles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts