Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering installing one but first, I want to know whether the outlet is always hot, or is it switched.
If it were hot, I could charge the battery.
The circuit is protected by a 10 amp fuse.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you are going with the OEM socket then yes it is switched. I picked up a marine grade socket at the local boat store and ordered a plug from amazon and built my own wire harness. The whole thing cost under $20 and an hour of time to install. the Dealer wanted $200 for parts and another $150 for labor. BUt you could easily make it hot unswitched.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I did the same thing on mine. It is always hot so I could charge the battery that way and if you don't want it hot all the time you could easily put a switch some where out of the way.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I took an SAE wire harness with an inline 7.5 amp fuse,cut the ends and replaced them with the connectors ( bottom right on table) so it's plug and play, looks OEM. the fuse holder is even with a square opening in the fairing for ease of access.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
I purchased 1 Powerlet cig type socket, 2 Powerlet BMW style sockets and a Blue Sea Systems power distribution panel set (mounted under the seat) for GPS, dash panel socket, tool box BMW style for driver heated gear and finally a pigtail for passenger heated gear. I have the cig socket mounted in the original area and a Powerlet BMW style above it. I use the socket style for radar (and whatever socket type plug) and the BMW style for GPS power. Both of these are separate circuits coming from the fuse panel. I installed the second BMW style in the tool box (not very handy for anything else) for driver heated gear. I have a pigtail that comes out when the passenger needs heated gear. I have run a 10g wire with 30a blade fuse (mounted in the battery box) to the fuse distribution panel. Total cost about $110.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts