1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
1,730 Posts
The closest I have been to anything like that is the KTM Adventure Rider Rallies. But I won't be taking part in anything like that soon. The next motorcycle trip we hope (at some time) to make abroad will Thailand for a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
This would be epic!
The only addition I would like to see is a damage waiver insurance. Charge me an extra 500 EU and I walk away from anything except abuse.
The riding sounds technical, and I would be pretty unhappy if I got dinged for a broken body panel caused by a tip over that was truly accidental (as apposed to riding above my skill level, or handing someone my beer and saying "Watch This!")

I would love to do a Honda sponsored ride here in North America. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,730 Posts
The only addition I would like to see is a damage waiver insurance. Charge me an extra 500 EU and I walk away from anything except abuse.
The riding sounds technical, and I would be pretty unhappy if I got dinged for a broken body panel caused by a tip over that was truly accidental (as apposed to riding above my skill level, or handing someone my beer and saying "Watch This!")
Agreed. Accidents can happen and even some of the more silly ones can be expensive. That was one option I liked about the Thailand Tour my wife and I were looking at. Without the waiver, the rider is responsible for the first $2500 in damage, but you can pay an additional $350 to remove that responsibility. Likely nothing will happen, but if even one of us drops a bike during the tour, we will be happy we spent the money for the peace of mind.

I guess they first one in 2017 did a 3500km trip from Olso to Nordkapp and in 2019 it was 3700km from Durban to Cape Town.

Maybe I will keep an eye out for where they are headed in 2023.

·
Super Moderator
1,946 Posts
This would be epic!
handing someone my beer and saying "Watch This!")

:)
I fail to see just HOW anything COULD go wrong..

A few beers a perfect natural ramp over a Icelandic volcano, a brand new AT...

sounds like a win - win situation to me.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yep,
Harley has events around the country to attract both present users and potential purchasers/users. There are even Honda Goldwing events almost for the same purpose(s) but, Honda does not put them on, they're independent. I think it would be outstanding if Honda were to stage an event here in the States that would be strictly an AFRICA TWIN event, and no SIDE BY SIDES!!!!!!!! Heck, I'd even travel for that one.
Scott

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got to go to a Polaris dealer day demo up to Milford lake. Polaris had all the current competition ATV's plus their own to ride and compare too.

The Honda rancher 420 with power steering did the 2nd best for me, but whatever Polaris model I compared it to blew the Honda away in comfort.

·
Super Moderator
1,946 Posts
Yep,
Harley has events around the country to attract both present users and potential purchasers/users. There are even Honda Goldwing events almost for the same purpose(s) but, Honda does not put them on, they're independent. I think it would be outstanding if Honda were to stage an event here in the States that would be strictly an AFRICA TWIN event, and no SIDE BY SIDES!!!!!!!! Heck, I'd even travel for that one.
Scott
Not by Honda but for the AT..

·
Registered
315 Posts
Not by Honda but for the AT..

Wow,
Now that would be cool. It is however, on the other side of the planet from me even though I said I'd travel for one. That would be great, getting a bunch of A/T's together. Maybe they'll (some similar company/set of individuals) will put one together on the WEST coast someday.
Scott

Reactions: AT-Dragon

·
Super Moderator
1,730 Posts
Yep,
Scott
We had a local one here in Gunnison, CO last year. It was a lot of fun, but of course a smaller local group.

KTM does a nice job with their Adventure Rider Rallies including rides lead by KTM pro riders, riding and mechanical clinics, etc.

They hold these in both the US, Europe, Australia, etc. Here are the highlights from 2019 in Bosnia...

Honda could take a clue from that, but Triumph, Ducati, Yamaha, Suzuki don't do any better in the promotion of their Adventure bikes either really. BMW is the only one beside KTM that goes to that extent afaik

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,946 Posts
Wow,
Now that would be cool. It is however, on the other side of the planet from me even though I said I'd travel for one. That would be great, getting a bunch of A/T's together. Maybe they'll (some similar company/set of individuals) will put one together on the WEST coast someday.
Scott
I lucked out, it’s about 9hrs from my house, I’m going and taking 2 days and all backroads , ends up being about 6hrs a day travel time..

Reactions: CRracer712

·
Super Moderator
1,946 Posts
Is that rally still on for sure? Sounds like it would be fun, but I am not headed to the east coast this year. I haven't seen anyone promoting it since maybe March. It seems to have gone kind of silent.
Yep still on, just got some stuff from them to fill out for it a couple of weeks ago. Guess Maryland is considering camping as acceptable social distancing...

·
Super Moderator
1,730 Posts
Yep still on, just got some stuff from them to fill out for it a couple of weeks ago. Guess Maryland is considering camping as acceptable social distancing...
I think most states are considering it as such? Trailheads around me are absolutely jam packed. Probably more social distancing going on at the mall than the trailheads. But I think tent sites are at least 6" apart and open air.

I am just surprised they have been so quiet. When I used to do the Triumphs in Taos promoting I was posting all kinds of stuff a month out to every forum and FB group I could find. Reminders, updates, info on venders/sponors, etc. These guys on the other hand seemed to go quiet after an initial push :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Might be trying to avoid attracting protesters, rioters and looters😉

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Cuchulainn said:
I think most states are considering it as such? Trailheads around me are absolutely jam packed. Probably more social distancing going on at the mall than the trailheads. But I think tent sites are at least 6" apart and open air.
No wonder (6") they are absolutely jam packed. I reckon everyone puts on a mask and rubber suit. Fun times. At least the bugs won't bite through rubber.

·
Registered
315 Posts
This mask stuff sucks BIGTIME! Sure will be glad when this stuff's over with.
Scott

·
Super Moderator
1,946 Posts
Haha. Thats funny. Didn't notice I typed 6". I musta been thinking about KOA's ;)
Lol yea I’ve always avoided the big privately owned and franchised campgrounds, I go to get away from people not to camp in some place that is like its own small city. Also have always avoided the “normal” travel holidays for the same reason.

Reactions: Cuchulainn
1 - 20 of 21 Posts