Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'Honda Africa Twin spoke problems'
A Facebook group set up because a dealer said it was only me.
Pics and reports of problems to strengthen any individual's warranty claim.

·
Registered
208 Posts
There is plenty on here and other forums about this issue. Just have a search and you will find it. The local importer here has also acknowledged the issue directly with me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Griff - Just to ask, what do they use in Ireland to treat the roads in the winter? Do you know what they use in the U.K.?

Only reason I ask is because the issue doesn't seam to be as prevalent in N America. Not that anyone is doing anything right or wrong, but depending on where you live in the U.S. they use all sorts of different chemicals (from strait sand & salt, to brine, to liquid chemicals, etc....) or they don't salt at all.

Im just curious if what they are using in Europe is more aggressive? I do know that in the U.K. people tend to ride more of the year & into the winter vs where I live (Minnesota - USA).

·
Registered
208 Posts
Griff - Just to ask, what do they use in Ireland to treat the roads in the winter? Do you know what they use in the U.K.?

Only reason I ask is because the issue doesn't seam to be as prevalent in N America. Not that anyone is doing anything right or wrong, but depending on where you live in the U.S. they use all sorts of different chemicals (from strait sand & salt, to brine, to liquid chemicals, etc....) or they don't salt at all.

Im just curious if what they are using in Europe is more aggressive? I do know that in the U.K. people tend to ride more of the year & into the winter vs where I live (Minnesota - USA).

I am not sure of the exact makeup but there is definitely salt in it.

Today I posted on the ADV forum as follows :-

"Now that it is mentioned again, I have the spoke problem. I noticed it on the leading edges of the front wheel spokes initially and applied some AFC50 to good effect. I more or less ignored the rear wheel spokes as they were always covered in a fine oil mist and grime from the chain oil.......until today, when I noticed some white furry blisters coming thru the oil and grime. I cleaned it off and there was severe corrosion underneath. I am not just talking tarnishing here but full on corrosion that one can feel as a rough surface on the spokes to the touch. I have now cleaned it, and applied AFC50 to the rear wheel also. The local importers are aware of the issue so I am not unduly concerned. The nipples are also affected which I am surprised about. I live in a damp, reasonably temperate climate here in Ireland. I suspect that the "dampness" is the problem ."

Of course there is the possibility that some batches of spokes may well have had a better covering than others and that could well explain the variation of experiences that some of us are having. That is further borne out by the fact that the 2017 spokes are not stainless as some folks suggest, but instead they are double anodized or double whatever chemical process that is normally applied. My understanding also is that those of us currently having this problem will be supplied with the improved spokes, and that a rebuild of the wheel will be sourced to local wheel builders.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts