Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my 2018 AT last year I already had brake down cover via my insurance policy with Carole Nash.

I didn't get any specific Honda Assist info with my new AT so like many others I downloaded the Honda App on my phone and added all mine and the bikes details.
I'm planning, as I do every year, a trip to Europe in the summer and although I understand that European cover has been included in the Honda Assist cover since October 2017 the details seem to be purposely sketchy.
It seems that any cover whilst abroad is at " Honda's absolute discretion".

My questions are, Is the cover exclusively limited to component failure or does it cover things like punctures, vandalism or accident/accidental damage etc? In other words **** that happens when you're on the bike.
Has anybody had to use the cover whilst abroad? What for and how good was the service?

My bike Carole Nash insurance is due for renewal in the spring and I'm wondering whether to rely solely on Honda Assist or whether to carry on (reluctantly) paying for brake down cover through my insurance policy and have both?

·
Registered
437 Posts
CN rescue in Europe is absolutely fantastic. They sort everything. So... As in my case the clutch actuation lever on my GS snapped. Impossible to get the part fast enough, so they called every dealership in Austria and Bavaria to find a donor bike. They found one and within an hour a van turned up, bike loaded and I was transported to the dealers who were waiting for me. And 3 hours later I was in my way back to base.

CN rescue in the UK isn't so good. They use agents who will put you low in their priority list, so you can be waiting for them to arrive for 2 maybe 3 or more hours.

I'm probably going to take a year off from CN as they are bound to load my insurance renewal, new bike and so on. Hondacare lasts for 2 years.

Terms and conditions seem more than adequate for my purposes and my yearly euro tour.

https://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/my-bike/insurance/hondacare-assistance.html

·
Registered
335 Posts
When I bought my 2018 AT last year I already had brake down cover via my insurance policy with Carole Nash.

I didn't get any specific Honda Assist info with my new AT so like many others I downloaded the Honda App on my phone and added all mine and the bikes details.
I'm planning, as I do every year, a trip to Europe in the summer and although I understand that European cover has been included in the Honda Assist cover since October 2017 the details seem to be purposely sketchy.
It seems that any cover whilst abroad is at " Honda's absolute discretion".

My questions are, Is the cover exclusively limited to component failure or does it cover things like punctures, vandalism or accident/accidental damage etc? In other words **** that happens when you're on the bike.
Has anybody had to use the cover whilst abroad? What for and how good was the service?

My bike Carole Nash insurance is due for renewal in the spring and I'm wondering whether to rely solely on Honda Assist or whether to carry on (reluctantly) paying for brake down cover through my insurance policy and have both?

Honda triedmaking out that the assist plan was much more comprehensive than that offeredby our insurers. The example given to me was that “if you accidentally putdiesel in your tank and realise it, insurer break down companies won’t help youbecause technically no damage has yet been caused. You would need to turn theengine on and damage the bike before they come to help”. He said that withHonda, “anywhere in Europe they’ll send someone to help you”. What he didn’tmention was Para 8 of the T&C’s which say what is not included: “Anycosts or charges connected with the drainage or removal of fuel, lubricants orother fluids due to the introduction of an inappropriate fluid;”. SO they willcome to help you but you will have to pay for the removal of the fuel.

Punctures and accidental damage would be the same thing. They would comeand help you but you may have to pay for the repair itself.“Any additional charges resulting from a puncture or tyrefailure we will endeavour to arrange assistance from a third Party on behalf ofthe Authorised Rider but will not pay for the cost of the call out or anyrepair. All other costs are the responsibility of the Rider”;

A word ofwarning also are the exclusions if you try doing any of the work yourself andstill need to call Honda assist. See para 14 about if the vehicle has beenimmobilised by the removal of a wheel for example.

See Para 21 for your question about vandalism. Theywill try to help if possible but may not if deemed outside of their reasonablecontrol.
As for the “absolute discretion”, this is a qualifiedstatement. They state that while it is at their discretion, they will “use allreasonable endeavours to provide you with assistance”. This is a reasonablyhigh duty of care, so there must be a good reason to refuse to assist. One exampleI can think of is if you’re in the middle of a bog somewhere or the top of amountain with no accessible roads.

For European travel, the terms vary slightly and financiallimits are imposed. See from page 12.

See particularly this point on page 14: 8. The provision ofservice is not available to Motorcycles which are overloaded, used in rallying,off-road driving or in theNürburgring or for motorsports. It may not be used in place of regularservicing.

Hope that helps. Have read of the terms, they are quite clear, andkeep a copy with you on the bike. Compare them with your Carole Nash cover. But the Honda cover seems decent and at least you're guaranteed it will be a Honda approved repair, so won't invalidate your warranty. Safe travels!

Reactions: Squirrelly

·
Registered
98 Posts
Great comprehensive response. I admit to not looking that closely, but I do have discounted RAC Europe-wide membership via my pension providers which covers anything I'm on. Thanks again.

·
Registered
400 Posts
My AA car cover includes any vehicle. I have the Honda Assist. I have Carol Nash breakdown. Belt, braces and another belt !

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies.

The following statement was one of the things that caused me some concern.

"Hondacare Assistance in Europe may only be provided in our absolute discretion. In the
event that we authorise it, use of Hondacare Assistance in Europe is subject to the
following additional terms and conditions."

Does this mean that you have to request cover to be pre-authorised in advance and give them the dates of travel, countries visited etc? Or... does the statement mean that you are automatically covered in the event of an issue unless you don't comply with any of the terms and conditions.

Perhaps I'll give them a call.

·
Registered
7 Posts
When I bought my bike it only came with UK relay, I had a puncture on my rear tube on the May bank holiday near Manchester .. on my way back to near the Dartford Crossing .. Apparently the cover is only called relay or something like that, so when I was picked up they would only take me with in their area .. so after being collected and dropped off 3 times I was finally dropped off at home 12 hours after i got the puncture .. I didn't have any tyre repair tools with me and there were no bike garages that were open to replace the tube .. I'd never changed a Motorbike tube before either .. After removing the tyre at home there is no way I'd have been able to do it at the side of the road even if I had the tools .. I'm now tubeless so I won't get caught with that again .. but I was really disappointed with the cover Honda have provided .. When I went to Eastern Europe I took out the full Monty AA cover .. I didn't need it but it was there .. So after the UK experience I'd imagine the European cover they provide is not worthy of the name ..

·
Registered
335 Posts
Thanks for all the replies.

The following statement was one of the things that caused me some concern.

"Hondacare Assistance in Europe may only be provided in our absolute discretion. In the
event that we authorise it, use of Hondacare Assistance in Europe is subject to the
following additional terms and conditions."

Does this mean that you have to request cover to be pre-authorised in advance and give them the dates of travel, countries visited etc? Or... does the statement mean that you are automatically covered in the event of an issue unless you don't comply with any of the terms and conditions.

Perhaps I'll give them a call.

Not going to read it all again but my understanding during the first read of when they say "in the event that we authorise it" means: If you call us from the middle of nowhere in Croatia we will first ask some questions about your problem and then decide if we will help you. If we decide to help you, terms and conditions a,b,c,d will apply to that help that we provide.

·
Registered
335 Posts
When I bought my bike it only came with UK relay, I had a puncture on my rear tube on the May bank holiday near Manchester .. on my way back to near the Dartford Crossing .. Apparently the cover is only called relay or something like that, so when I was picked up they would only take me with in their area .. so after being collected and dropped off 3 times I was finally dropped off at home 12 hours after i got the puncture .. I didn't have any tyre repair tools with me and there were no bike garages that were open to replace the tube .. I'd never changed a Motorbike tube before either .. After removing the tyre at home there is no way I'd have been able to do it at the side of the road even if I had the tools .. I'm now tubeless so I won't get caught with that again .. but I was really disappointed with the cover Honda have provided .. When I went to Eastern Europe I took out the full Monty AA cover .. I didn't need it but it was there .. So after the UK experience I'd imagine the European cover they provide is not worthy of the name ..
I see you did the rear tubeless swap with 3M. Was that using the sealant and the tape or just the tape? Any handy tips?

·
Registered
437 Posts
You don't have to tell them anything before you go. If the problem is to be fixed by warranty then you must have your service book with you.

Aside from that... They provide just what you would get from a bare bones RAC roadside/home start policy.

They insist that the bike has a full Honda service history.. As far as I can tell that is the most important pre-requisite.

They don't fix punctures. Nor will they pull you out of a ditch. If you call them out and don't properly fix the problem, they won't come out again. They won't come out if you have managed to snap your key in the lock.

That's about it as far as I can't tell... Other things they won't come out for aren't the kinds of problems you should be having on a European tour.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I see you did the rear tubeless swap with 3M. Was that using the sealant and the tape or just the tape? Any handy tips?
I've just done the rear at the moment as I'm due new wheels soon so have left the front for when I get them .. I did the rear after the puncture .. I just used the 3M 2 mm tape .. I cleaned the rims many times and checked the spoke screws for any sharp bits and used a file to take off any sharp bits ... I just wrapped the tape around the wheel and left it a few days for the tape to go off and had the tyre refitted .. that was in May 2018 and I've done about 7000 miles since with no problems .. I bought an aftermarket TPMS ( the valve cap ones ) just to keep an eye on the pressures and the rear has hardly lost any air since I did it .. the tubed front needs topping up once a month .. Just make sure you go to town with the cleaning of the rim .. I used thinners and brake cleaner over and over again until the was not a speck of dirt .. I had new A41's put on after I did it and checked the tape and it all looked good so I'm happy i did it ... and will do it to both the new wheels ..

·
Registered
335 Posts
I've just done the rear at the moment as I'm due new wheels soon so have left the front for when I get them .. I did the rear after the puncture .. I just used the 3M 2 mm tape .. I cleaned the rims many times and checked the spoke screws for any sharp bits and used a file to take off any sharp bits ... I just wrapped the tape around the wheel and left it a few days for the tape to go off and had the tyre refitted .. that was in May 2018 and I've done about 7000 miles since with no problems .. I bought an aftermarket TPMS ( the valve cap ones ) just to keep an eye on the pressures and the rear has hardly lost any air since I did it .. the tubed front needs topping up once a month .. Just make sure you go to town with the cleaning of the rim .. I used thinners and brake cleaner over and over again until the was not a speck of dirt .. I had new A41's put on after I did it and checked the tape and it all looked good so I'm happy i did it ... and will do it to both the new wheels ..
Thanks very much. I got a Spy tpms too for when I do the conversion, though might put it on already anyways.
Got the 5200 sealant and the 4112 tape, I’ll use both just to be extra safe and then the rubber rim strip to keep it all in place and protect it. Will be a nice weekend project in the summer. Just want to use the oem tires first and then I’ll get TA2’s.
2 days of commuting in the rain and cold and I can’t say I’m unhappy with the oem tires. Haven’t pushed hard as still breaking in and new tires but so far it’s not as bad as everyone says...
I’ll make sure those rims have never been so clean when I do it!

Reactions: gra1000at
1 - 12 of 12 Posts