Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Have anyone changed airfilters in CRF100L?

Today I tried but not succeed.
I removed side cover succesfully, loosened screws of airfilter box but didn't able tot take out airfilter box, some how box was stuck from the bottom.

Any need to take also fuel tank away?

Instructions are welcome.

Br: Marko

·
Registered
170 Posts
I haven't done it yet but I'm almost positive the fuel tank has to be removed or at least moved out of the way to remove the air box lid. I'm sure someone on here has done it so you should hear back from someone soon.

·
Registered
479 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
I haven't done it yet but I'm almost positive the fuel tank has to be removed or at least moved out of the way to remove the air box lid. I'm sure someone on here has done it so you should hear back from someone soon.
Totally and completely NOT TRUE! That would be like saying.......I heard you have to take the hood off your car to get to the oil filter. :surprise:

Check out the post above.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Marko sorry for assuming the fuel tank had to be removed to get to the air cleaner but when I had my tank off I seen the lid for the air box under there and again I assumed the air cleaner was under that lid. I did suggest you wait for a reply from someone who has done it tho.
AT Mofo I have a Honda ST 1300 and guess where the air filter is, yep under the fuel tank.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Because the next official maintenance by Honda is still 4000 miles away for my bike, I change the air filters today at exactly 12.000 miles (19.200Km).
It was really about time, however there was ZERO dust behind the air filters :smile2:

Guess in future I will change them every 8000 miles (especially when I do a lot of desert tours during this time). This would be right in between the regular Honda service interval for the air filter change. I rode quite often in the sand and sometimes in larger groups where I never rode in first position, for that I am super happy with how the filters looked like (I better don't think how my lungs looked like, after these group rides. :frown2: :grin2:)
Conclusion: For regular street use and only sometimes a few gravel roads the normal Honda service intervals look very reasonable to me and the airbox is sealed perfectly. Good job Honda :)

Attachments

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have seen in the net there are some pre-filters for the AT. Thosre are washable filters that fit within the snorkel of the airfilter covers.

In theory they should prolong the need of filter change but I am pretty sure they should restict the airflow considerably as well. Does anyone have experience on those?

·
Registered
792 Posts
I have seen in the net there are some pre-filters for the AT. Thosre are washable filters that fit within the snorkel of the airfilter covers.

In theory they should prolong the need of filter change but I am pretty sure they should restict the airflow considerably as well. Does anyone have experience on those?

KTM1190 Adv owners....>:)

·
Registered
70 Posts

The "problem" I see with these filters is that I think you still have to remove the fairing which is the main reason why changing the air filters suck. When the fairing is gone, it is super easy to change the filters anyway. So what is the real benefit of these snorkel socks then?

·
Registered
884 Posts
Now that I've had the front fairing off the bike a few times it's really not hard to get in there and change the air filters. Maybe an hour total to change them both including disassembly and reassembly. It looks like the front plastics would be a real hassle but they're not.
My filters looked similar to the ones in the photos above - dirty but not unreasonably so for 29,000 kilometres (quite a bit of dusty and gravel road riding). Hiflofiltro filters were about $40 for the pair. Look like they will do the trick for the next service interval.

The "problem" I see with these filters is that I think you still have to remove the fairing which is the main reason why changing the air filters suck. When the fairing is gone, it is super easy to change the filters anyway. So what is the real benefit of these snorkel socks then?

·
Registered
496 Posts
You do have to remove the fairing BUT NOT THE TANK once the fairing is removed is easy to get to the filter housing. I’m using (Twin air)filters which are reusable.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Here's a really good video showing how it's done:

Reactions: Swen
1 - 16 of 16 Posts