Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use the factory Honda top box and back pad for their SO?

Do they like it comfort wise? Feel that it's solid?

Planning to buy that luggage for my AT, but it won't be used much, mostly if the Mrs and I go out of town. Otherwise I've got a nelson rig tail bag I use on my dailies.

The Mrs requires a backrest.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My SO likes a backrest as well, says she feels safer. I do not have have one yet, but Corbin makes a seat with a backrest and Sargent Seats makes a backrest.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good idea, since it's additional, I guess kit could wait anyways. Does she feel it's solid?

·
Registered
377 Posts
I do not have the OEM top box, I have the Givi MAXIA 4 one, which is a charm, with or without a pad.

However, I do have the OEM side panniers, and just wanted to say that their quality is definitely not in par with their price. They feel flimsy, they deform (I have used mine on two or three travels with my wide and the lower edge is deformed causing water to ingress). I can only presume that the top box must be of similar poor quality.

I would definitely suggest you to consider aftermarket solutions, like Givi or other.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Good idea, since it's additional, I guess kit could wait anyways. Does she feel it's solid?
lol - she didn't use words like that, but I asked about putting in a pad and she said, "meh, didn't notice ... wouldn't bother". This is the same person who doesn't hold on to the hand rails even when there is no top box mounted. :oops:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do not have the OEM top box, I have the Givi MAXIA 4 one, which is a charm, with or without a pad.

However, I do have the OEM side panniers, and just wanted to say that their quality is definitely not in par with their price. They feel flimsy, they deform (I have used mine on two or three travels with my wide and the lower edge is deformed causing water to ingress). I can only presume that the top box must be of similar poor quality.

I would definitely suggest you to consider aftermarket solutions, like Givi or other.

A friend of mine has the side boxes on his, since 17. I looked them over, looked alright to me. They've survived him, and they've always been on his bike which he uses to check on his oil leases. He'd mentioned the dealer said they weren't water tight, though he's never had them leak and it appeared the lid seal made good contact all the way around..

He doesn't have the top case.

As for another brand, nah. I don't want to deal with a bolt on bracket. The OEM bags, givi and others are all hideously ugly imo. They'll only be on the bike if I travel, which won't be often. With that in mind, I don't want some unsightly mounting system to look at when no bags are installed.

My nelson rig tail bag is all I need for my daily commutes.
IMG_20200602_090852500.jpg

·
Registered
285 Posts
Well,
Here's what I did. My CEO has been used to Honda Goldwings for decades. That means a really comfy seat, arm rests, adjustable (on the fly) foot pegs and all that. But, for her to jump on the back of an AT, well, it's like riding two people on a 10 spd bicycle. So, I looked around and found a back rest and rack, from:

I got the longer rack and the back rest. But, I still needed a box of some sort to carry at least a couple items. So, off to Harbor Freight, to see what they might have. I got a good sized box there for my purposes. I mounted the back rest in the provided spots/holes on the rack. But, when it came time to mount the box, I needed some adjustment. Due to the lid of the box needing additional space for the lid to swing open, I could not mount the box up against the back of the back rest.

Well, that would have looked real hokey with large gap between the back of the back rest and the box. So, I came up with an idea to mount that back rest on HINGES!!! I cut a door hinge in half, drilled and fitted the two halves to the back rest and made sure there was mounting or operational issues. Now, I could mount that H.F. box, directly against the back of that back rest. When the top opens, the back rest simply tilts forward, taaadaaaaaahhhh! Lookout MacGyver!! And, by having that back rest snugly against the back of that box, the box provides additional support for the back rest, not that it needs it 'cause the design and quality of that back rest is top notch!

Anyway, the CEO, while not near as happy with the seating arrangements on the AT as she was with the Goldwing, does feel a bit safer. When it was determined that the system was working without issues, I disassembled it and contoured the hinges to match the back rest mounts and then powder coated them myself.
Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is your backrest easy on easy off? I'd do a setup like that if it didn't require complete bike disassembly to remove. I'm sure my nelson rigg tail bag would attach ok, no hinge required🤭

However, I was expecting to see some arm rests😁

·
Registered
285 Posts
No Sir,
That back rest is bolted onto the rack. I kind-a thought about making it removable for when she's not interested in ridin' with me but, I just finished it the way it is. That's one of the good things about paying the higher dollars for aftermarket already setup baggage for the AT. They make all that stuff removable but, you pay for it. I'd even like to setup a removable back rest for myself. For those longer day cruises on the pavement and, you let go of say, either right or left handle bar to rest a hand, it's nice to have a back rest to compensate like I had on the Wings. That's in the thinking-about stage right now.
Yeah, arm rests for mama would be cool too but, they WOULD HAVE TO BE REMOVABLE! I'll have to work on those.:love:
Scott

·
Registered
285 Posts
It going to be interesting to witness a Gold Winger farkle up an AT over time.
View attachment 55340
Well DT,
Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do, to make the CEO happy. The reason the Wing's gone is because we didn't and hadn't ridden the Wing to its potential and capabilities for a long time. So, the AT is KING now. And, since I'm the main rider, I'll accommodate her riding components IF and when possible. Heck, we used to carry our DOG too, on the Wing.
Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts
I like the dog box, I wanna do something similar for my multese
Well Sir,
Depending on the size of your dog, that little carrier is made by Kuryakyn. Lot of Honda Goldwing garb made by those folks and Harley's too. It's called a Pet Palace if I recall.
Scott

1 - 15 of 15 Posts