Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gotta think twice before investing nearly 9% of your 2020 ATAS price tag on the plastic panniers!! Hence: too expensive for what they offer as outlined below:

Here is why?

1. The attached sign (in each bag) warns me from exceeding the speed limit of 130km/h (80.77 Miles/h)!!
  2. The included manual warns me from storing excess of 6KG (13.2 lbs)!!

I havent experienced any other panniers; infact this is my first adventure bike!!

Guys, are the above two outlined limitations close to what other panniers offers?

I may forgive these plastic bags coz they dont require steel rails which in turn compromise on the overall grip level; but not to that much of sacrifice!! Any seller should be urged by HONDA to clearly state that before selling them.

My highway speed reaches 140km/h and sometimes 160km/h. I also plan to stuff those bags with some farm crops that may exceeds 6kg!!!

Gotta give these panniers some credit nevertheless due to the following:

1. Ease of getting them on and off without the need for bulky not good looking rails (no offense)...
  2. They look flush and snug.
  3. Uses the bike ignition key without having the need to carry additional ones.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Short reply (at work) yes. I think even the alloy ones have quite low limits. But tbh who weighs what the put in a top box or panniers. I sure most overload them without any problems.

many years ago I sat at 110mph on the German.autobahn on a 1200 GSA for about 20 minutes or several times, with no problems afterwards

·
Registered
301 Posts
I've seen similar restrictions on almost every other Honda bikes including my ST1300. And most of the time, the saddlebags and trunk exceeded their weight limit and speed limit (if any).

·
Registered
2017 CRF1000 manual w Rally livery
50 Posts
It is weight in the top box that is the main issue: re bike instability

I use the old OEM panniers, have had no problems and I even ride with just the right hand side one sometimes

I have gone down in the dirt with them and they are quite rugged

Unfortunately they do not work as "tables" when you are camping

The lack of an extra metal rack is huge plus IMHO

if you need to carry a bunch of crops - consider a trailer (seriously)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts