Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry guys again I have to bring this up, the latest Honda HP oil 10w30 I have received recently has made a performance improvement which I cannot explain..

The bike certainly has more gusto .. IT'S NOT A MIND THING!!!

The acceleration is better & the motor runs smoother.

I found that after the oil replacement the bike accelerates better in all areas but especially noticeable from 140 - 180km/h. It seems to have a more noticeable second wind all of a sudden in this area lifting the bike out on the front shock travel..

Now what could the oil be doing?

Is it smoother or does it burn cleaner for the O2 sensor to fuel it better?

My fuel consumption has definitely increased a bit since I changed to this latest oil with the same riding style..

Now if I had to guess:

Smoother oil shall give you better fuel consumption, which is not the case here..

So my assumption is: that it has to be the 02 sensor getting less pollution so it smells the oxygen a bit better..

This is the only explanation I have..

Any one else want give it a poke..?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thicker oil will lower fuel economy and make things smoother.

What were you running before and for how long?

Likely it had long ago sheared out of grade.

If you browse motorcycle used oil analyses on bobistheoilguy, you'll see that oils tend to shear out of grade quickly in shared sump bikes.

That covers smoothness and fuel economy. Power is something we're less likely to judge correctly by riding. Show me dyno plots or timeslips and I'll admit to being stumped by that one.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi yes,

I replaced the standard Castrol 10w30 at 12000km service with Honda HP synthetic based oil 10w30.
This being the first time with HP oil & after about 40km I could feel the difference. The bike just smoother & felt bit more responsive.

My second service a while ago with the latest Honda HP oil at 24000km has been another step up in smoothness & power response.
Now this latest Honda Hp oil seems to be even better than the previous..
Unfortunately I do not have before & after dyno stuff, but I am very sensitive to general engine response & power delivery since I ride 60km a day commuting to work.. With my second HP oil service I did not anticipate any engine response changes.., it actually caught me by surprise feeling the almost instant increased liveliness. I have notice over 2 full tank refills the bike has become a bit more thirsty would say about 40km less range. I always ride with traction control switched off. I would say the most noticeable thing would be is the increase in throttle response & smoothness at lower rpm too. As I said I do not have any dyno charts but it definitely makes my ride more pleasurable. Just thought I would share this with all.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Your results aren't because the Honda oil is magic, but because both times your old oil had long since sheared out of grade.

Browse the motorcycle used oil analyses posted here if you like.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forums/49/1/Used_Oil_Analysis_-_Motorcycle

Look for similar bikes if you can find 'em. Either way you'll see that oil tends to shear out of grade quickly in shared sump bikes. And of course Honda recommends thin oils to begin with.

If you changed the oil more often, you'll keep the bike smoother and more responsive, instead of get a big improvement when you replaced way past due old oil. You might also find it interesting to start with 10W40.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Your results aren't because the Honda oil is magic, but because both times your old oil had long since sheared out of grade.

Browse the motorcycle used oil analyses posted here if you like.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forums/49/1/Used_Oil_Analysis_-_Motorcycle

Look for similar bikes if you can find 'em. Either way you'll see that oil tends to shear out of grade quickly in shared sump bikes. And of course Honda recommends thin oils to begin with.

If you changed the oil more often, you'll keep the bike smoother and more responsive, instead of get a big improvement when you replaced way past due old oil. You might also find it interesting to start with 10W40.

There's a great saying..."Oil is cheaper than bearings"...

I know the modern oils are so much more sophisticated but it does strike me that 8000 miles is a long way between changes.

If it's making such a marked change I think its telling you something.

Off tarmac I think the oil works harder too.

For contrast my 1979 bevel Ducati has little oil filtration and changes are 1000 miles.

I think, given your mileage, id be tempted to change the oil a little more often, around 5k.

Certainly it's unlikely to harm the bike (so long as you use spanners instead of the hammer and punch in once saw used to take out the sump plug!

"Oil is cheaper than bearings"...

Regards

Stuart

·
Registered
114 Posts
I use Motul 300v... Pricey $70

1st oil change was done with reg honda oil
2nd was with Honda hp4
& I’ve been using Motul 300v every 5k miles
I too think 8k miles seems too long

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I must say that the Previous HP4 oil which did 12k km was really not that dark.. Had more of a dark grayish colour & still had a gold colour on outer edges when it was poured out..

If I may say, I doubt if the HP synthetic oil needs such often draining other than every 12k. Yes the bike works hard but that is a much more superior oil which inhibits less friction in the first place..

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have also noted that fuel consumption increased after the dealer installed Synthetic Honda 10W-30. Only have 150 miles so far on the new oil. Will monitor this. Does not seem to be a good thing.

Sorry guys again I have to bring this up, the latest Honda HP oil 10w30 I have received recently has made a performance improvement which I cannot explain..

The bike certainly has more gusto .. IT'S NOT A MIND THING!!!

The acceleration is better & the motor runs smoother.

I found that after the oil replacement the bike accelerates better in all areas but especially noticeable from 140 - 180km/h. It seems to have a more noticeable second wind all of a sudden in this area lifting the bike out on the front shock travel..

Now what could the oil be doing?

Is it smoother or does it burn cleaner for the O2 sensor to fuel it better?

My fuel consumption has definitely increased a bit since I changed to this latest oil with the same riding style..

Now if I had to guess:

Smoother oil shall give you better fuel consumption, which is not the case here..

So my assumption is: that it has to be the 02 sensor getting less pollution so it smells the oxygen a bit better..

This is the only explanation I have..

Any one else want give it a poke..?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am almost convinced that the extra throttle response is using up a bit more fuel.. my thoughts are that the O2 sensor is smelling a tad more oxygen since the oil burns differently/cleaner which allows added enrichment of fuel from the cpu.. I must mention the increased fuel consumption I have found is mainly in commute & traffic to work & back. I need to run it over a long open stretch to see what happens then.. Fuel consumption should then be the same or less.. There is no reason to believe that it is doing something bad to the motor.., the bike feels more responsive & smoother in my case..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts