Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Where has your Africa Twin Taken you?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,075 Posts
Interesting find. Yet another control implementation taken out of a passenger airplane design. Not profound.

A question is: Because we can, should we?

It would be so easy for a computer to not just precisely transition the rider's clutch intention, but for better or for worse, translate to an unintention. With the popularity of Honda's DCT, this idea might remain as a patent filing.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can certainly see some benefits. New riders will love not having to worry about stalls. Love the idea of a quick shifter built in. Worry about the idea of it failing while out in the middle of nowhere. I wouldn't be adverse to it. I had reservations about the DCT, but generally enjoy it now. My biggest concern would be for the "clutch" to fail and it causing an unexpected launch or prevent an emergency stop.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Not to mention that a simple, single-finger actuated button/lever/rocker/switch could do the job of that huge lever.
I swear, the idtios (idiots) that come up with these ideas for implementing technology can't seem to think outside the box in which they've been indoctrinated.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It sounds like the idea of the lever is to give some idea of feel and incremental opening, thus giving you the option of shipping the clutch with various levels (much like traction control). However, the level of refinement here seems to be concerning. I won't pass judgment on it until I see it in action, but its certainly very interesting. What I find really interesting is that this kind of tech rarely trickles down to the kind of bikes new riders tend to buy - small displacement, cheap motorcycles. Now if they add this to the cb300.... that could really be interesting. Time will tell.

·
Registered
94 Posts
It sounds like the idea of the lever is to give some idea of feel and incremental opening, thus giving you the option of shipping the clutch with various levels (much like traction control). However, the level of refinement here seems to be concerning. I won't pass judgment on it until I see it in action, but its certainly very interesting. What I find really interesting is that this kind of tech rarely trickles down to the kind of bikes new riders tend to buy - small displacement, cheap motorcycles. Now if they add this to the cb300.... that could really be interesting. Time will tell.
That's the problem with it. I'll go out on a fairly strong limb to say, nobody that can ride wants that sh*t on their high-end <insert bike category> bikes!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Interesting find. Yet another control implementation taken out of a passenger airplane design. Not profound.

Take a look at how many Passengers and Crew have died when Static Ports have been blocked or Angle of Attack Systems have malfunctioned. This is unnecessary complication while the human being can still carry it's own body weight.

·
Registered
94 Posts
We don't need to even get off the ground before these "features" start becoming a danger. Just look at TC and Vehicle Stability Control in our automobiles. I can't tell you how many times those "features to improve safety" have nearly ended up an accident when they intervene.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Another issue is the fail-safe to disengaged configuration. Essentially, when power is off, the clutch plates are separated. Parking brakes for all bikes? Fly-by-wire for the throttle has obvious advantages, as I see it. Easy addition of cruise control being the one that really hits home with me. Can't see anything to gain here.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm sure if we go back to the DCT discussions many of the same concerns were raised about that system and now here we are several years on and the DCT continues to sell strong. The real question will be, does it improve the ride experience or not? In theory, it has potential. In practice, we have yet to see. I wouldn't want a first generation version, but that's just me being cautious. Who knows, maybe it will be a lot of fun...

·
Registered
94 Posts
It took a decade for Honda to get where they are with the DCT today. People still gripe and rightfully so. Maybe another decade and all's well.
Thankfully, there's still a manual version.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just occurred to me, wait 'til they announce brake-by-wire! Yes, it's a thing on the C8 Corvette. C'mon, really?
I'm dissatisfied enough with vacuum-boosted brakes and now someone decided to boost them with servos?
<smh>

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As they say, progress is like watching sausages being made - its not always pretty, but most people are happy with the end result.

·
Registered
560 Posts

It depends on who wants the system and why. Many of these systems are a great supplement for proper operator training. Unfortunately these systems are being treated as a replacement for proper training. In the civil aviation world aircrew are becoming very reliant on the installed automated systems. In many accidents that have been investigated it was determined the aircraft was in a situation the automated systems could not correct for. By the time the pilots tried to regain control the situation had progressed well past the point they could do so. One aircraft manufacturer feels the automated systems should have priority over the aircrew and will not permit the crew to override the automated systems. Another manufacturer feels the aircrew should be able to override the systems if necessary and the crew gets priority. It does not appear we won't have much choice in which priority applies to ground vehicles.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts