Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stupid question here....but how the **** do you open the topbox. Tried for 5 mins & gave up. No problem removing/attaching to the base plate, but I can't seem to open the lid.

Is there a knack to it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The knack is to lift the latch while holding the top down.
This makes it easier for the top of the latch to pull away from the lip of the lid so that you can open it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The latch will get better with use but it may take a while. The good news is that the top case can be left unlocked unlike the side cases. Just lock the key while the handle is open and then you can close and open the unit with out using the key. To re-lock just open the lid then unlock the key. Then close the lid and lock the handle with the key, and the case is then locked. ( I hope that made sense ). Good luck.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
The latch will get better with use but it may take a while. The good news is that the top case can be left unlocked unlike the side cases. Just lock the key while the handle is open and then you can close and open the unit with out using the key. To re-lock just open the lid then unlock the key. Then close the lid and lock the handle with the key, and the case is then locked. ( I hope that made sense ). Good luck.
Yes this is true, but I see it as a potential problem rather than a plus. It means you can set off with the top flapping loose. Admittedly that's less of a problem than with the side cases which have the security feature, but even if it does not come open during travel, you could easily forget to lock it and have valuables nicked.
Mike

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yes this is true, but I see it as a potential problem rather than a plus. It means you can set off with the top flapping loose. Admittedly that's less of a problem than with the side cases which have the security feature, but even if it does not come open during travel, you could easily forget to lock it and have valuables nicked.
Mike
Mike,
I think you miss understood what I was saying. You do latch the top case as usual, you just don't need to lock the key also. It is already locked so the case can't be removed.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Mike,
I think you miss understood what I was saying. You do latch the top case as usual, you just don't need to lock the key also. It is already locked so the case can't be removed.
No - I think I understood you correctly. But my point is that you can remove the key from the top box without locking the lid - worse in fact - without even latching the lid. I agree that low-lifes cannot steal your box but they can pinch your frozen chicken from Tesco. And there is the risk of the box lid bouncing open if you forget to latch it before setting off.
I was in two minds about buying the OEM boxes, but on balance I am impressed with the quality and the ability to just use one key for everything, and the clever design that stops you setting off with side boxes open, and the bike is left 'clean' when they are off.
One negative point about the top box. First time I opened it in a gale, it broke the restraining strap on the left side (I araldited it back in). Actually another negative point about the top box. Honda can do several clever things with the luggage design but they can't make the top box fit on the rack that the bike is supplied with and an ugly bolted extra rack has to be fitted as if it was an aftermarket top box. (design a bigger bike rack to start with)
Mike

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Have you guys tried to open the top case when it’s locked? Mine will open even when I’ve turned the key and locked it.
Are you sure? I sometimes get fooled by the system, and it's difficult to explain, but you can lock the case to the frame but still leave the top free to open and close without needing to use the key (I think Honda intend this as a design feature. Or you can put the key in the open position then close the lid latch and then turn the key to locked and you shouldn;t then be able to open the case (unless you mean you can easily force yours open - something I haven't tried)
Mike

·
Registered
148 Posts
Have you guys tried to open the top case when it’s locked? Mine will open even when I’ve turned the key and locked it.
The topcase lock works so, that if you lock it, when the lid lever is open, the lock just locks the topcase fastening lever, but not the lid lever. Also you can still open and close the lid lever without touching the lock. If you lock it when the lid lever is closed, it also locks the lid lever and to open it you first must open the lock.

If the case is like you say abowe, also you closed the lock when the lid lever was closed, the lid lever should also be locked and you shouldn't be able to open it without opening the lock first. I quess some plastic part of the lock has been cracked inside?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have just had the same problem as the first correspondent in this series with not being able to work out how to open the top box. I'm afraid that I was none the wiser having read the explanation and ensuing argument in the exchange above. If you are also having this problem, the photos below and the explanation that follow may actually help:

6575019A-35FA-46B1-96EB-CEB574F9566B.jpeg F2AFBC3E-5FB5-46D6-A9D1-649357C44D86_1_105_c.jpeg 807EB8BD-1740-4913-941C-6176BDA299F0_1_105_c.jpeg

The first photo shows the latch in the open position. Once you have seen the first photo, it becomes reasonably straightforward to understand how it works. The top of the latch is curled over into what is effectively a hook, which engages with a ledge on the lid.

The second photo shows the latch (it has a series of four horizontal ridges that go from long to short from top to bottom in the form of an arrow on it) in the closed position. To unlock the top box, the key needs to be turned clockwise so that the blade of the key is horizontal. Put your fingers underneath the latch and pull firmly up and backwards (relative to the front of the bike, assuming the top box to be mounted on the bike in the normal position) or towards you (as you look at the latch on the back of the top box) and it opens quite easily. The latch mechanism has a spring in it that holds it open (see photos one and three).

To close the lock, engage the 'hook' with the ledge on the lid and then push down and forward (relative to the front of the bike, assuming the top box to be mounted on the bike in the normal position).

To lock the top box again, turn the key horizontal again.

You may (or probably won't!) wish to read the preceding contributions on whether it is better to leave the top box unlocked or not. You will probably wish to make your own assessment of risk base on likelihood of something going wrong and the impact if does under the conditions that you are riding your bike.

I hope this was of help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you. For the time-being, yes! I must change my profile photo as I don't have the CRF 250 any more. I have just swapped my 2018 AT AS for a 2019 AT standard (Dakar Red) model (It's just a bit lighter and lower which makes it much easier to manage) and need to get some decent photos of it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts