Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am struggling with whether to buy the honda panniers for very much $$$ ($2500) but the advantage is they fit perfect and the right side is cut out around the muffler so it sticks out the same as the left side width wise. Or do I go with aftermarket and save some money. The SW-Motech mounting brackets look a little weak in my opinion but their panniers look good. Givi doesn’t have mounting brackets available to Canada for the 2020 AT DCT yet. The Outback Motortek brackets look real sturdy (but I do have to buy the Honda top box bracket for $500 to be able to install them).

any suggestions? I do prefer the outback brackets but if I buy those, I am struggling to understand what panniers will fit on them and how they will mount to them.

help on this will be appreciated.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I’m trying to make that same decision myself. I held off on the OEM aluminum panniers thinking I can get something less expensive elsewhere.

FWIW, the Happy Trail panniers with the “cliff cut”, while utilitarian looking, fit nicely to the bike and are symmetrical. The price is also competitive.

I am not aware of any aftermarket aluminum panniers that are cut out for the exhaust. Are you aware of any?

The Bumot panniers look great but I am concerned about importing them from Bulgaria particularly them being damaged in transit, for example.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
375 Posts
I am not aware of any aftermarket aluminum panniers that are cut out for the exhaust. Are you aware of any?
The Bumot panniers look great but I am concerned about importing them from Bulgaria particularly them being damaged in transit, for example.
The Bumot's have the cut out.
They ship using DHL, which I believe has good reputation, worldwide.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wow, I don’t pay close attention! Thanks for the correction. I’m now leaning toward them more than ever!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well I see I am not the only one trying to decide. The Bumot look really nice but once you convert the Euros to Canadian dollars and add Shipping, duty and taxes they are almost the same price Or more ha Ona OEMs and who knows how long they will take to get here. I am going to see if my dealer will give me a price break on the Honda panniers. They already gave me 10% off a few other add ons and I’ll see if i can push them a bit higher on these.

·
Super Moderator
3,494 Posts
well I see I am not the only one trying to decide. The Bumot look really nice but once you convert the Euros to Canadian dollars and add Shipping, duty and taxes they are almost the same price Or more ha Ona OEMs and who knows how long they will take to get here. I am going to see if my dealer will give me a price break on the Honda panniers. They already gave me 10% off a few other add ons and I’ll see if i can push them a bit higher on these.
Welcome @Bill from Canada to the Forum.

Ain't that the dance whenever Canadians have to buy farkles. (sigh)

Maybe the dealer will offer a Post COVID-19 Special Discount (-19%), ... or sumthin'.

·
Administrator
1,893 Posts
I’m trying to make that same decision myself. I held off on the OEM aluminum panniers thinking I can get something less expensive elsewhere.

FWIW, the Happy Trail panniers with the “cliff cut”, while utilitarian looking, fit nicely to the bike and are symmetrical. The price is also competitive.

Jesse would be another with the cutout. They are solid and heavy and I believe would survive the zombie apocalypse, but they aren't cheap.

2016/17 AT

2018/19 ATAS

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've ordered Touratech Zega Evo X for my 1100. They have the cutout for the exhaust and are available in 38Litre or 45Litre pairs. The honda boxes are based on Givi so I guess they will let in as much water as Givi do on an all day rain ride. Been there done that, and Givi are splash proof but not watertight. Speaking from experience.
Touratech are 100% watertight.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've never been a big fan of the appearance of the Jesse panniers. Some people love them, though.

With respect to waterproofness, the SW Motech TraX panniers I had on my F800GS weren't watertight either, but that was never really an issue for me. My stuff went into high tech liners (black garbage bags) and never had an issue in multiple all-day trips in rain.

·
Administrator
1,893 Posts
I've never been a big fan of the appearance of the Jesse panniers. Some people love them, though.

With respect to waterproofness, the SW Motech TraX panniers I had on my F800GS weren't watertight either, but that was never really an issue for me. My stuff went into high tech liners (black garbage bags) and never had an issue in multiple all-day trips in rain.
They do look bulky. They are the thickest walled panniers I have seen. They fit squarely into the function over form category :)

·
Registered
884 Posts
The nice thing about SW Motech racks is that you can change your mind later - hard or soft panniers or different manufacturers (they sell adapters for most major brands0. I've had GIVI cases on the bike that I sold and I have the OEM Honda, which I got with the bike and have never used. I have the Lone Rider Motobags (and four minibags and the new 30 L Overlander duffle) and they've been absolutely great. The combination of soft versatility and the ability to flatten them when not in use has been awesome. I have Mosko Moto panniers on my other bike and they are fantastic as well. Both offer the ability to add attachments and additional storage for longer trips.

·
Administrator
1,893 Posts
I have some Touratech Zega Pro's that I have had on several bikes now. I just keep buying new racks. They have never failed, still water proof and have held up well to drops.

The funny thing is I haven't picked up a rack for my ATAS for them, because I am actually getting bored of them. Not a bad problem to have when you get bored before they fail or wear out.

My wife had the Jesse bags on her F650GS she owned years ago. The other negative to those aside from being kinda bulky/ugly is man they were heavy. Probably weighed twice what my Zega weigh.

·
Super Moderator
3,494 Posts
I had Givi plastic panniers (and top box) and rode in heavy downpours without an issue (no leaks).

However, I didn't "float" them across a river as one may do with an ADV bike. Maybe they would have leaked in that situation.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just got the Honda aluminum ones and am pleased with them. The mounting bracket seems pretty sturdy and the bags feel light. I actually prefer to not have the bags keyed the same as the bike as I often start the bike, push it outside, then let it warm up while I load the bags.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just ordered Hepco and Becker upper and lower crash bars for my 2020 AS they just became available in the US. I wanted Heed but nothing shipping from Poland to US right now. My 17 AT DCT burned up in a house fire blessed to get a hold of a new one. So happy they dropped the seat height for us normal people. Also note on my burned up baby. Almost everything in the Tusk Panniers survived.
KIMG2876.JPG

·
Super Moderator
3,494 Posts
Oh wow @JimBizServ, never seen a bike out from a fire. Glad you came out on the good end in regards to that. I wonder if the Honda OEM panniers would have survived (I doubt it).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts