Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am struggling with whether to buy the honda panniers for very much $$$ ($2500) but the advantage is they fit perfect and the right side is cut out around the muffler so it sticks out the same as the left side width wise. Or do I go with aftermarket and save some money. The SW-Motech mounting brackets look a little weak in my opinion but their panniers look good. Givi doesn’t have mounting brackets available to Canada for the 2020 AT DCT yet. The Outback Motortek brackets look real sturdy (but I do have to buy the Honda top box bracket for $500 to be able to install them).

any suggestions? I do prefer the outback brackets but if I buy those, I am struggling to understand what panniers will fit on them and how they will mount to them.

help on this will be appreciated.
I'd go with the Honda ones Bill. I have 'em and no issues. They're lockable with the same key as the ignition and the bike has a clean look when removed without any scaffolding etc. For the amount of times I actually use them anyway, they're the best option for me and hopefully for you too.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've been running the TUSK Medium cases, and Tusk rack for a year now,....They have been rock solid. No complaints at all. I love them. They are much more 'sturdy' than the Honda cases from what i've read.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Got the panniers and crash bars installed. Glad I went with the Honda Panniers. They appear to be Givi’s if you take a look at them and compare. Same locking mechanisms and very very similar in most areas.

take a look at the Givi

·
Super Moderator
3,578 Posts
Very nice Bill. Yes, Givi does much re-branding for motorcycle manufacturers. Their products appear to have consistent quality and feature thoughtfulness.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Need some advice. I have a 2020 CRF1100 DCT model (not adv sports), and I am in the US, so aftermarket part options are limited. I am concerned about the honda pannier mounts because the instructions look like that only install on the adv sports model. The standard DCT does not have the same mounting structure at the back. After searching what is available (many are out of stock), I landed on this setup using Touratech pannier mounts (Asymetric to cover the can), a Tourtach rear luggage kit, and Tusk Olympus soft pannier bags (I prefer soft over hard). I have seen these installed on a 2018, and they look nice in my opinion and the reviews seem to be highly rated. I fairly new to this hobby so what am I doing wrong or not considering? Any other recommendations for setup. Please do not recommend suppliers that you have on the older models 2017-2019 because the 2020 is re-designed and most of those parts do not fit or they have not been developed for the 2020 yet. (Example of the 2018 Or 2019 configured with tusk bags photo shown below)

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, I dropped some coin and ordered everything except the back rack. I’ll post pictures when I get em installed

·
Registered
378 Posts
Well, I dropped some coin and ordered everything except the back rack. I’ll post pictures when I get em installed
I don't know if it's available in the US, but Bumot could be a very good alternative. They do both hard cases and soft bags for the same racks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Outback Motortek panner rack x-frame model looks good for 2020 but for standart models need OEM part. And this compatable with Mosco soft bags and nice mount Rotopax containers

·
Registered
56 Posts
I got the Honda (Givi Outback Trekker) OEM bags and like them.

My thought was to also use the Givi GRT709 soft bags as they are the same brand. However, the Honda version wraps around the muffler on the right side (see Bill from Canada's post above). Givi Italy tells me they have no adapter to allow the GRT709 to mate the Honda version rack.

So, my recommendation is aftermarket bags. As much as I like the OEM bags, they are in reality a one-off installation and thereby much less flexible.

·
Registered
280 Posts
just to help anyone looking at other options. I installed SW Motech pro rack an trax adventure cases. well impressed with build quality.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I just got the Honda aluminum ones and am pleased with them. The mounting bracket seems pretty sturdy and the bags feel light. I actually prefer to not have the bags keyed the same as the bike as I often start the bike, push it outside, then let it warm up while I load the bags.

That's why you have a spare key🙂

21 - 38 of 38 Posts