Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Honda has quietly updated their initial information regarding the CRF-1000L Africa Twin released late last month.

At first we were told that US market bikes would only be available with ABS and Honda Selectable Torque Control (HSTC) when optioned with the DCT. That's no longer the case.

ABS and HSTC will be standard on all versions of the Africa Twin, US market included. This differs from their strategy with the NC700X.

We're not sure what Honda's motivations are but it certainly reduces manufacturing parameters, leaving only one changeable variable, the gearbox.

Prices are likely to remain unannounced until Honda's press launch in October.

·
Registered
72 Posts
ABS will be good. If you are going through rougher terrain then that should help out if your traction is waning. I think that all bikes should be offered with ABS.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm hesitant to challenge a member called "Honda Africa Twin News", especially since his posts have been early and accurate, or Motorcyclistonline, source of the report. BUT, Honda's official U.S. site ( http://powersports.honda.com/documentum/model_pages/specification_pdf_files/2016_Africa_Twin_Specs.pdf ) continues to show three separate versions of the CRF-AT: "HSTC 3-levels + switch-off (*ABS & DCT models only, not on STD model".

It could be a failure to update the website, but I'm guessing not. Offering consumers more choices, starting with a base model at a rock bottom price is how Honda U.S. markets many of their products. Once you're hooked, it's easy enough to be sold on features only available with up graded models. And no, I do not want to discuss my $10,600 NC700 with a $7500 base price....

It wouldn't be surprising to learn that ABS and HSTC are standard on all AT's sold in Europe, where ABS is required by law on motorcycles over 125 cc's. An interesting question is whether that will change the price of the base Euro model.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'm hesitant to challenge a member called "Honda Africa Twin News", especially since his posts have been early and accurate, or Motorcyclistonline, source of the report. BUT, Honda's official U.S. site ( http://powersports.honda.com/documentum/model_pages/specification_pdf_files/2016_Africa_Twin_Specs.pdf ) continues to show three separate versions of the CRF-AT: "HSTC 3-levels + switch-off (*ABS & DCT models only, not on STD model".

It could be a failure to update the website, but I'm guessing not. Offering consumers more choices, starting with a base model at a rock bottom price is how Honda U.S. markets many of their products. Once you're hooked, it's easy enough to be sold on features only available with up graded models. And no, I do not want to discuss my $10,600 NC700 with a $7500 base price....

It wouldn't be surprising to learn that ABS and HSTC are standard on all AT's sold in Europe, where ABS is required by law on motorcycles over 125 cc's. An interesting question is whether that will change the price of the base Euro model.
It could be similar to the emissions thing. Bikes sold in America can pass emission standards in EUR because they've all been made compliant with the strictest regs to eliminate the need for market specific fuel maps, custs down cost... can't help but wonder if this comes from a similar train of thought...

·
Registered
287 Posts
Maybe we'll receive a definite answer in their press release in October. I hope both the ABS and HSTC becomes standard anywhere it's marketed.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Maybe we'll receive a definite answer in their press release in October. I hope both the ABS and HSTC becomes standard anywhere it's marketed.
There's a growing need for ABS to be standard so that's something I can see becoming standard. Not sure when the U.S. will have regulation around it like in other parts of the world but that might be a motivation for them.

·
Registered
276 Posts
There's a growing need for ABS to be standard so that's something I can see becoming standard. Not sure when the U.S. will have regulation around it like in other parts of the world but that might be a motivation for them.
depends... its a culture thing... Europe relys on their motos for daily transport far more then NA. More so Europe sees lots of young people turning to 2 wheels as primary tranportation as cars are prohibitively expensive. The mandatory ABS thing was aimed at new riders IMO...

of course, I'm not on the ground in Europe so this is only a theory ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts