Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
221 Posts
Flat tire or oil on the road/slapper Sorry for your pain. Scab up soon

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
2,985 Posts
No.
The cure is to get through the condition that is causing the problem. If you're either accelerating or decelerating, you can can get through it if you apply more of what you're doing, assuming you're not already at the limits of your gassing or braking.
I've done it on sport bikes at street speeds - decel and accel - as slow as 35mph, sportbikes at track speeds - decel and accel. GoldWings at steady, elevated highway speeds by taking a hand off the bars - started as a slow weave, increasingly progressive, would've ended badly but stopped immediately when I put the other "phase" of the two-handed steering damper back in place.
EVERY bike I've ever ridden has a couple/few zones where this phenomenon can present itself so I assume it's not bike specific. That you inferred differing sizes of wheels being a factor does change the conditions in which this may occur, and I've done it on an XR650L, as well...not one I'd like to repeat. The huge wallowing due to long suspension strokes exacerbates the situation.
Downhill turns, uphill turns, one-handed riding at that certain steady speed, flat leisurely accelerating/decelerating, it doesn't really matter. What matters is the steering/suspension geometry, including tire profiles and the bike's attitude, in which those dynamic components become effected. There are likely a near infinite number of combinations that can induce a tankslapper, just as there are a near infinite number of combinations that can eliminate them. Once in a while, you're likely to find yourself in that threshold and get caught out. Many, many more times you'll cross the threshold and not even know it cuz you've continued on through it before it could take hold. You won't know what conditions will set it off until you experience them presenting themselves...and then you learn to eliminate factors of those conditions through varying your riding technique(s) or altering your bike's settings. Altering settings can be good or bad. Depending on which direction you go, you could eliminate the occurrence in that one situation only to promote it in another.

As to your bicycle wheel example, the outside forces would be a motorcycle's rear wheel, the bike's attitude, the steering angle, the suspension geometry and settings, the tire, the wheels' balance, the pitch/camber and surface of the road, the rider's style/technique and the rate of progress. Pick one, or more, to either induce or eliminate the occurrence.
You kinda make my point, one of those you had your hands off the bars to do it (I’m pretty sure he didn’t) and at any time when that happened to to did it get bad enough or out of control enough quickly enough that it thew you off the bike and you crashed?
My AS has a front deceleration wobble staring at 37mph down to 28mph I can leave my hand off the bars all the way through it with out issue, you can see the wobble in the bars but really can’t feel it at all in the bike..
BTW yes you are correct in saying you have to “get through the condition“ but generally speaking doing more of what caused it usually makes it worse before it gets better and that is not something off track that most people would need to do.

·
Registered
161 Posts
You kinda make my point, one of those you had your hands off the bars to do it (I’m pretty sure he didn’t) and at any time when that happened to to did it get bad enough or out of control enough quickly enough that it thew you off the bike and you crashed?
My AS has a front deceleration wobble staring at 37mph down to 28mph I can leave my hand off the bars all the way through it with out issue, you can see the wobble in the bars but really can’t feel it at all in the bike..
BTW yes you are correct in saying you have to “get through the condition“ but generally speaking doing more of what caused it usually makes it worse before it gets better and that is not something off track that most people would need to do.
Never crashed due to a slapper and, yeah, if you fight it with muscle, you're gonna lose...just like the guy in the vid.
What ever the OP did, I think he was caught so off guard that he didn't even have a chance to think "Oh, sh*t!"

There's truth to the saying, "When in doubt, gas it!" :D Apparently, he didn't have that option. :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I only recall reading one issue, but with DCT surging , I believe it was a ECU issue in his case. But that aside, the shop was supposed to flush out your tank, granted per Honda it’s basically adding fuel to the tank swirling it around for X amount of time then doing that again, Honda paid them time to do that along with replacing the filter. Contact Honda and report what happened, did this happen on your first ride after they worked on it ?

BTW.. Hi and welcome to the forum..
Yep picked it up rode straight home 8 minutes later crashed going up a slight incline on a straight away

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
With the tires and terrain in pic guessing you hit the gas and bike went sideways planting you before you realized. Not being mean at all but those tires+ that wet grass and mud+ throttle equals disaster. Its rider error
I wasn't riding in the grass the bike slid from the pavement into the grass. My friend came and to help and picked the bike up

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
You really haven't said how "the bike went crazy" if fuel filter pump fail it would just die.
It's kind of hard to explain when I went from going straight to slamming into the pavemtand sliding 20 feet through the grass limp. I'm not a rookie motorcycle rider I was in shock and going by memory. There's no way I crashed this due to lack of skill. The grass is where I landed as I would be riding towards the camera

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Never crashed due to a slapper and, yeah, if you fight it with muscle, you're gonna lose...just like the guy in the vid.
What ever the OP did, I think he was caught so off guard that he didn't even have a chance to think "Oh, sh*t!"

There's truth to the saying, "When in doubt, gas it!" :D Apparently, he didn't have that option. :(
Exactly. I was in shock and my explanation isn't great I know but it was bang BANG then sliding in slow motion waiting for something to happen like my arms snapping. I've got 3k miles on it in less than a year. Went to tail of the dragon a month after having it and a month ago went to some mountain off road tour and was fine. I'm almost 32 never been in an accident and don't even have a speeding ticket so it bugs me one dudes calling me a liar

·
Super Moderator
6,387 Posts
Hey @treydizzle45, when I read your posts I assumed that is where you landed (in the grass). I didn't over think it. You are okay.

Any any new inspirations on possible root cause this morning? This could be a challenge. I reckon more fact finding is in store.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
@treydizzle45
It would be good to know about the current air pressure in your rear tire. Since you have tube tires they most likely will have air in them after an accident, unless the tires were uber low on pressure and hit something hard enough to pinch the tire and the tube to flatten it, even then that is most likely to happen to the front wheel. But looking at the pics, the condition of the bike and where it’s at I would expect to find air in both tires. Tubeless would be a 50/50 chance on a tubeless if the side of the tire is rolled enough or enough lateral force is applied, both of which can easily happen in a accident, then you would have a flat/flats ..

chopperbob is right, it is very had to see if that tire is still locked on the bead or not. To me it doesn’t look like it is. But if it is then that is your culprit, especially if you did some hard acceleration before it happened, you could of spun the rim on the the tire and popped the beads…
One thing I failed to mention was when I first picked the bike up from the shop the throttle was sticking while in first with clutch in so I rode around the parking lot slowly and it went away after that....
My friend picked the bike up and was going to ride it to my house because it was so close. Literally a minute or less and he instantly said it's a death trap. I know my wreck explanation is bad but when I have all these people trying to talk to me and my arm is split like an axe hit it I couldn't inspect it. But family did go and take pictures at the wrecker yard.

·
Super Moderator
6,387 Posts
Ah crap.

So the throttle was physically stuck, or maybe the throttle encoder wasn't properly tracking rider throttle input? (both are bad, but the latter is really scary).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Exactly. I was in shock and my explanation isn't great I know but it was bang BANG then sliding in slow motion waiting for something to happen like my arms snapping. I've got 3k miles on it in less than a year. Went to tail of the dragon a month after having it and a month ago went to some mountain off road tour and was fine. I'm almost 32 never been in an accident and don't even have a speeding ticket so it bugs me one dudes calling me a liar View attachment 64212
Ah crap.

So the throttle was physically stuck, or maybe the throttle encoder wasn't properly tracking rider throttle input? (both are bad, but the latter is really scary).
That's why I'm so confused. I would man up and say I was riding like an idiot or didn't check tire pressure but this isn't the case and I'm not trying to sue anyone. Im afraid that this accident will cause me to lose my love of riding. It took 12 hours at hospital to fix my right arm. It just boggles my mind I'm cruising behind a car on a straight away next thing you know my bike betrays me. My friend was gonna try and ride it and he's like 275 and never mentioned the tires feeling flat but the trooper had it towed. I'll post more pictures tonight from after It was towed

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2,985 Posts
The way it sounds is that something catastrophic happened like blowout ( not impossible ) or dropping an axle, maybe even the air pressure was low enough that you road the tire off the bead, although I would expect in that case as soon as you got on it and road it around the parking lot at the dealer it would of already felt “loose” in the back end..
hopefully you’ll feel better soon and have a good look at the rear and see what is what with it

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2,985 Posts
That's why I'm so confused. I would man up and say I was riding like an idiot or didn't check tire pressure but this isn't the case and I'm not trying to sue anyone. Im afraid that this accident will cause me to lose my love of riding. It took 12 hours at hospital to fix my right arm. It just boggles my mind I'm cruising behind a car on a straight away next thing you know my bike betrays me. My friend was gonna try and ride it and he's like 275 and never mentioned the tires feeling flat but the trooper had it towed. I'll post more pictures tonight from after It was towed
Lol I check my tire pressure when I find it hard to push out of the garage or the back end starts feeling a bit loose… Yea I’m terrible that way, especially when it is not uncommon for me to find a old dirt road and take her up into the triple digits, I REALLY should be a LOT more proactive on maintenance..

Reactions: Potato Chips

·
Registered
149 Posts
Intrigued by your friends comment. Did the throttle stick for him? Throttle by wire issue?
Are you going to pull it down yourself? Not blaming the shop but it does seem odd to me. Maybe it took a tumble in the shop.

Hope you took a few days or more off work, there is always some shock associated with hitting the deck .

·
Registered
19 Posts
That sucks! Not knowing is the worst part. Were there any witnesses you can talk to? Memory isn't always great in situations like this, false memories or delete traumatic shtuff. I would have initially said tank slapper, hit an oily spot, but sounds like there's something going on with the bike.

·
Administrator
3,301 Posts
My wife had something similar happen to her with one of her bikes. She was in a curve when all of a sudden the bike went into a violent tank slapper and tossed her. She had the bike towed to a trusted mechanic and had him look it over to see if he could find something... anything that could have initiated the tank slapper and caused the crash. He found nothing. There was nothing wrong with the bike that would have caused it. His best guess is that she was traveling through an area where there was construction and maybe she hit a stone or other debris while in the turn just enough to upset the front end of the bike and cause it to go into the tank slapper.

The insurance company ended up totaling the bike because of the damage, it took a slide down the road at 65mph, so she never got the opportunity to ride it again. However, she was back on her AT and riding as soon as she was able.

Hopefully, with some time and healing, you will find that the love of riding returns. What caused it, as with her case, may forever remain a mystery though.

Edit: I had a bad one happen on Monarch Pass while attempting a pass with a KTM 1190 Adventure I owned. Trying to throttle out of it only made it worse. Laying off the throttle and letting the bike decelerate until it sorted itself out got it back under control again. It was the one and only time the bike did that. No clue as to why since it was a "one off."

·
Registered
977 Posts
Any chance it was debris on the road? Something slippery?
Regardless, you are relatively okay and the bike can be replaced. I've had a few quick 'get offs' like that when it happens and you can't really quite put a finger on why.
Heal up and investigate later. (y)

·
Registered
CRF1000L | Gold Wing DCT
281 Posts
The debris in the road thought is legit. Following a car would conceal the debris and reduce reaction time if noticed.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts