Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of doing a big European tour before we Brits get banned, but it looks to me like the 2 years of Hondacare Assist only covers Europe for the VFR1200 and the Crosstourer - which is a bit annoying as surely they must see AT owners as doing as much touring as their not so successful 1200cc bikes.
If that's right, what do people (UK people) do for roadside assistance when touring in Europe?
Mike

·
Registered
19 Posts
I asked the dealer that when he tried to sell it to me as a bonus. Nope no roadside in Europe!!!

I got a quote for the bike the other day with the AA for 40£ ish for the week

I drive my 17 year old Land Rover down to the south of France each winter. Euro quotes come out at 140£ for 2 weeks, but if you read the small print they won't bring my car back anyway, just hand me a cheque and write it off.

Worst case scenario, hire a van and drive the bike home?

·
Registered
72 Posts
The Honda price for the European recovery/extended warranty can be negotiable, I got mine for quite a bit lower than advertised.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Some insurers will offer European breakdown cover either as an option or as standard (eg Carole Nash). It might be worth checking whether your insurer can offer it - possibly cheaper than taking out independent cover?

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Honda price for the European recovery/extended warranty can be negotiable, I got mine for quite a bit lower than advertised.
I've read the terms carefully just now and although it's the same price for me to take the extended warranty out now (4 months after purchase), the quality of the warranty isn't as good as if you take it out on purchase date. In particular the European recovery feature would NOT kick in until the manufacturers' warranty had run out. So if I want recovery from Europe it looks like £55 for the AA 5star thing.
Mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
EU Recovery

EU Breakdown / Recovery is part of my motorcycle insurance.

·
Registered
61 Posts
After several phone calls I was told Honda assist would cover me for Europe but would exclude punctures or non mechanical or electrical issues.

For total cover I used Startrescue, 16 day cover for £37.00. Having read the small print ( I'm a retired insurance broker ! ) I am totally happy with the policy cover.

·
Registered
89 Posts
After several phone calls I was told Honda assist would cover me for Europe but would exclude punctures or non mechanical or electrical issues.
Maybe they should just rename it 'Honda Won't Assist'. Electrical issues not covered.....that's just absurd.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts