Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike was running on Castrol 10w 30 which Honda recommend for the run of the mill services until now.

Bike has just had 12000 km service, since this bike is a keeper for me, I decided to go for the next level, Honda's full synthetic oil.

I must report a definite difference in performance in the following ways:

1. Performance is more lively. (more of an eagerness to rev & accelerate)

2. Engine smoother at higher rpm.

3. Throttle more responsive (especially in high gear from 120km upwards)

4. Gearbox shifts are easier & smoother up & down.

I can truly recommend it to whom would like to take the lubrication to the next level..

In my opinion it is worth the cost for the extra performance & engine protection you get.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Smoother shifting yes. but I just don't understand how a different oil of the same weight can make an engine run smoother or improve throttle response? Maybe it was something else done in your 12K service?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Smoother shifting yes. but I just don't understand how a different oil of the same weight can make an engine run smoother or improve throttle response? Maybe it was something else done in your 12K service?
I could see it maybe making the engine run smoother, although that would surprise me. The throttle response has to be from something else done during the service.

How long was the last time you checked your air filters before the servicing?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I could see it maybe making the engine run smoother, although that would surprise me. The throttle response has to be from something else done during the service.

How long was the last time you checked your air filters before the servicing?

It certainly feels like it accelerates faster, maybe because it runs smoother with this oil.

Truly, there was nothing else done to the bike since they only had 30min to change the oil & filter.

I speak from experience, my VFR1200fd did the same thing with this Honda full synthetic, the motor even sounded more wizzy when I made the switch at 72k. (did the service myself) Another thing I noticed was that even after 4k I did with the full synthetic, the oil still had a nice gold clean colour apposed to the dark colour of the normal Castrol 10w 30 that Honda service the bike with after the same mileage.

The good colour could be derived from the fact that there is less friction or the higher resistance of the oil to wear out ??

You can definitely feel the motor is loving this oil.. , like eating your favourite food :smile2:
NO JOKES

I have read quite a bit of consumers adding their opinions on the Honda HP4 full synthetic specifically:
1. Smoother gearshift
2. A bit more performance
3. Better mileage

I guess you have to try it to get your own opinion..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts