Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent a few hours today adding a louder horn to the AT. I managed it on the Integra so thought it would be an easier job as access is much easier. I bought a Denali Soundbomb clone and purchased the custom Denali bracket for the AT. I ran the feed to terminal 30 on the relay from my PC8 power outlet. I ran the outlet to the horn from terminal 87 on the relay and the earth from the horn back to the earth bar on the PC8. I then identified the positive from the horn switch and connected that to terminal 86 and the earth side of the horn switch to terminal 85. Switched on the ignition. All fine. I then pressed the horn button and got a short beep. Pressed again and still just a short beep and then nothing. Instrument display and indicators out. I eventually tracked down that I had blown a fuse. I removed the new horn from the circuit, replaced the fuse and all good.

I ran power direct to the horn and it is working fine.

I then looked up how to test the relay on you tube with my multimeter. The test said I should get a reading of 7.2 across the two switch terminals 85 & 86. I could only get .71 but am not sure if that is just a scale issue on the meter.

I am flumoxed and can only think that the relay is either defective or labelled incorrectly.

Any tips or advice would be great fully received.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
With a bit of help from another forum it looks like 85 should just go to Earth and only 86 connected to the live feed froth horn switch.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I used the Denali wiring harness for my Denali Compact which comes with a prewired relay so all you have to do is run the relay signal wire to the original horn terminals, the relay output wire to the Compact (which mounts on the left valve cover), and the power source to the battery or PC8 or whatever. It was easy to route and worked perfectly the first time.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did the relay signal wire just use the positive horn terminal or both terminals?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This goes from bad to worse. I re wired it this morning with just picking up the live side of the OEM horn and leaving it in circuit. I then earthed the relay terminal 85.
Seemed good and the horn worked when I tested it without blowing a fuse. Get out on the road and after a mile or so give it a press ad out goes the instrument lights again. After a few moments the bike defaults to neutral and I cost to a halt. I know now that this is the 7.5 amp fuse in the small run of three fuses along side the main fuse box. I had to use the 20amp spare as I had used the 7.5 spare yesterday. I got home but the engine warning light has come on and it is very lumpy. I am now convinced that it must be a defective relay or horn as I am certain I have it wired correctly. I will take it off and buy an original Denali rather than the Nautilus I purchased from amazon. Now to work out how to reset the engine management warning light and the DCT.

·
Registered
103 Posts
This goes from bad to worse. I re wired it this morning with just picking up the live side of the OEM horn and leaving it in circuit. I then earthed the relay terminal 85.
Seemed good and the horn worked when I tested it without blowing a fuse. Get out on the road and after a mile or so give it a press ad out goes the instrument lights again. After a few moments the bike defaults to neutral and I cost to a halt. I know now that this is the 7.5 amp fuse in the small run of three fuses along side the main fuse box. I had to use the 20amp spare as I had used the 7.5 spare yesterday. I got home but the engine warning light has come on and it is very lumpy. I am now convinced that it must be a defective relay or horn as I am certain I have it wired correctly. I will take it off and buy an original Denali rather than the Nautilus I purchased from amazon. Now to work out how to reset the engine management warning light and the DCT.

It's back feeding into the circuit. Did you run a diode across the terminals?

Like this? (Ignore the capacitor on the left)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did not add a diode. So I need to add a diode across terminals 85 and 86. I have now ordered the original Denali Soundbomb and their plug and play harness so will give that a try. Do I need to add the diode for safety?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts