Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!

Do you still have the OEM horn ?

• Yes

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 18.8%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lol that got your attention...
What kind of horn are you using...
Just picked up a Denali Sound Bomb, haven’t installed it yet .... But anything is better then that stock Vespa horn the AT comes with..

·
Registered
445 Posts
On the 2018 AT I installed a FIAMM AM80S which was more powerful than the OEM for sure.
By the way the FIAMM AM80S is the same as the Denali Sound Bomb Mini, just at about half the price. Actually the Denali is probably made by FIAMM!

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
On the 2018 AT I installed a FIAMM AM80S which was more powerful than the OEM for sure.
By the way the FIAMM AM80S is the same as the Denali Sound Bomb Mini, just at about half the price. Actually the Denali is probably made by FIAMM!
Thanks, good to know... But the Sound Bomb is a air horn and the AM80S is an electromagnetic...
BTW, I think most horns in the world are probably made by FIAMM..

·
Super Moderator
6,354 Posts
Iz good enough. There are definitely better options available.

Frankly, every time I reach for the horn I seem to hit the signal cancel pushbutton. So in essence, I seldom use the horn on the AT. The button (location) seems high.

·
Registered
534 Posts

Frankly, every time I reach for the horn I seem to hit the signal cancel pushbutton. So in essence, I seldom use the horn on the AT. The button seems high.
I only manage to sound the horn when it's unintentional. When I need to sound it, like you, I'm signaling a turn.

·
Registered
2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
260 Posts
Lol that got your attention...
What kind of horn are you using...
Just picked up a Denali Sound Bomb, haven’t installed it yet .... But anything is better then that stock Vespa horn the AT comes with..
I am keeping the stock one so I can pretend it was the Camry beside me when I hit it instead of my turn signals!!! hahaha

At least until I can get used to the button placement.

Matt

·
Premium Member
2019 Africa Twin (CRF1000 DCT)
346 Posts
I am keeping the stock one so I can pretend it was the Camry beside me when I hit it instead of my turn signals!!! hahaha

At least until I can get used to the button placement.

Matt
the horn button are not placed standard on Honda but it was om my Yamaha the fuse required for these two tone horn are 10A

·
Registered
80 Posts
The SoundBomb Compact has a AT specific mount available for it and appears slightly louder on paper ( 120dB @ 3' ), but draws 20A which I'm sure will require new wire even if existing wire could be rerouted to new mounting location on left side of engine. The Fiamm AM80S draws 9A and 110dB @ 2m according to specs. I'm guessing it can be mounted at same location as original ? This video has a Fiamm 72112 but mentions having to bend stock horn bracket to clear fork tubes. This video only mentions Fiamm Freeway Blaster which I think is the same. Installation looks much easier for any horn going in same location and using same wiring as old.

·
Administrator
3,288 Posts
There appears to be a high note and low note version of this horn. Which works best for getting other vehicles' attention?

·
Registered
2020 Africa Twin Adventure Sport DCT
188 Posts

Frankly, every time I reach for the horn I seem to hit the signal cancel pushbutton. So in essence, I seldom use the horn on the AT. The button (location) seems high.
I had this experience as well. I started riding, briefly, on a 1984 Honda Rebel 450, so the horn was, you know, where the horn was. I got my V-Strom and of course it moved. I got used to it, and understood that Honda places the horn in a different spot. However...

Go to your bike, put your thumb on the horn, and look at the placement. The horn is (at least for me) right where my thumb would extend straight out. I think there's some logic to it, even though to the rest of the world Honda is weird. Still, it does make some sense.

I only manage to sound the horn when it's unintentional. When I need to sound it, like you, I'm signaling a turn.
Hahah, I do that too. My wife says I'm horn happy at the best of times, so she's enjoying my struggle to re-learn the muscle memory. I've also downshifted. :)

I did at one time have a Screaming Banshee fitted to my V-Strom. LOUD horn, and it flashed the lights as well. The also now have a mini, which doesn't have a flash and looks to be a direct replacement for the pancake that came with the AT. Given that the headlights on my 2020 are LED and I'm not going to futz with making them flash, the mini looks the treat and is a drop-in, no additional power replacement just like the sound bomb mini.

They have a bunch of videos listed in a handy way on their website. That said: it's higher in price by a factor of 2.5, but logarithmically it's MUCH louder (every 10db is a doubling of the sound). So, I'm torn.

Reactions: Amphib

·
Registered
534 Posts
I had this experience as well. I started riding, briefly, on a 1984 Honda Rebel 450, so the horn was, you know, where the horn was. I got my V-Strom and of course it moved. I got used to it, and understood that Honda places the horn in a different spot. However...

Go to your bike, put your thumb on the horn, and look at the placement. The horn is (at least for me) right where my thumb would extend straight out. I think there's some logic to it, even though to the rest of the world Honda is weird. Still, it does make some sense.

Hahah, I do that too. My wife says I'm horn happy at the best of times, so she's enjoying my struggle to re-learn the muscle memory. I've also downshifted. :)

I did at one time have a Screaming Banshee fitted to my V-Strom. LOUD horn, and it flashed the lights as well. The also now have a mini, which doesn't have a flash and looks to be a direct replacement for the pancake that came with the AT. Given that the headlights on my 2020 are LED and I'm not going to futz with making them flash, the mini looks the treat and is a drop-in, no additional power replacement just like the sound bomb mini.

They have a bunch of videos listed in a handy way on their website. That said: it's higher in price by a factor of 2.5, but logarithmically it's MUCH louder (every 10db is a doubling of the sound). So, I'm torn.
It's interesting. I'd be curious about horn choice based on ride type and where.

I like the softer "cute" sounding horn....the quick beep beep. I use it more as a polite hello, or I'm here, or thank you. So, out in the boonies, I don't want a loud aggressive sounding horn though I'd definitely feel differently if I was commuting in urban areas.

Little anecdote where I wish I had a louder, meaner horn...

I was in a pretty less traveled part of Cherokee national forest.....mountainous rough old 2 track. I came around a bend and was going to get off the bike and stretch my legs. I looked ahead and saw an emaciated German Shepard. It bared its teeth, took its stance in the middle of the track. I grabbed a gear and twisted it.... pulled my feet up as high as I could..... the dog is not yielding. I'm thinking I'm going to hit it or it wants to take a chunk out of my leg, so once I got close, I hit the horn which startled it off to the side. I then gassed it out of there. I think having a crazy loud horn may have been more effective and I wouldn't have had to worry quite so much and tried to time it quite so close.

And I had to make sure that I actually sounded the horn. I don't think the blinker would've had any effect.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's interesting. I'd be curious about horn choice based on ride type and where.

I like the softer "cute" sounding horn....the quick beep beep. I use it more as a polite hello, or I'm here, or thank you. So, out in the boonies, I don't want a loud aggressive sounding horn though I'd definitely feel differently if I was commuting in urban areas.

Little anecdote where I wish I had a louder, meaner horn...

I was in a pretty less traveled part of Cherokee national forest.....mountainous rough old 2 track. I came around a bend and was going to get off the bike and stretch my legs. I looked ahead and saw an emaciated German Shepard. It bared its teeth, took its stance in the middle of the track. I grabbed a gear and twisted it.... pulled my feet up as high as I could..... the dog is not yielding. I'm thinking I'm going to hit it or it wants to take a chunk out of my leg, so once I got close, I hit the horn which startled it off to the side. I then gassed it out of there. I think having a crazy loud horn may have been more effective and I wouldn't have had to worry quite so much and tried to time it quite so close.

And I had to make sure that I actually sounded the horn. I don't think the blinker would've had any effect.
Yea a blinker probably would just of confused him, especially if you were on a two track and had no where to turn onto. Actually he probably would of bitten you, kinda like we get pissed off when we’re behind someone with their blinker on for no reason.

Reactions: Amphib
1 - 15 of 15 Posts