Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got off the phone with Jeff (Wilbers America) and he taught me more about these modern suspensions in 30 minutes than I learned in a lifetime of riding and ignoring suspensions. He also taught me the definition of off-roading, at the beginning of the conversation I was stating emphatically that I was done off roading because I'm, too old for getting this huge motorcycle stuck in the mud or between trees anymore. He explained to me that off-roading when dealing with suspensions is running down a fire road at 60.......to which I replied "why naturally I still do that"

The he taught me some of the negative characteristics of over-lowering a bike......so I'm going to minimize the drop by figuring out the sag and then properly setting the preload before I decide on the amount of drop.

MeCasa

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Assuming the front is the same as the back.

9. 1" travel = 23.144cm x .30 = 6.93cm = 2 3/4" +/-. That means the measurement of the front wheel hanging free minus 2 3/4" is the distance I should have after the pre-load is set correctly with a rider (me) in the saddle

After front and back are set add wooden blocks (in varying thicknesses) set on the ground (outside the footpegs) to whatever height I feel comfortable with. The thickness of those blocks is the measurement I use to purchase the mono shock and front fork springs.

ie. one 2x4 (1 1/2") block would be a 40mm reduction +/-

1 - 3 of 3 Posts