Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Was your filter clogged with ANY debris?

• Yes

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Don’t know.

Votes: 9 45.0%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you who have taken your AT in for the recall...

Did they find anything in your filter ??
By anything, I mean anything..
for almost all of us ( by rights ) should have nothing at all clogged in the filter..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Filter was pretty clean apparently and not much in the way of contamination.

Abs wasn't done, still waiting to get a call to take bike back.

Sent from my ATAS TFT using Tapatalk

·
Registered
338 Posts
Ive got my recall on my 2020 this Friday, but that's for the ABS regulator **** up.
Annoyingly first one is exploratory then you may have to go back again once part is in (if needed). Why not keep a part in so you can change once your in then just order another rather than double up on strip down??
Crazzzyyyyy!

·
Super Moderator
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Filter was pretty clean apparently and not much in the way of contamination.

Abs wasn't done, still waiting to get a call to take bike back.

Not much ...
At the length of the time we have owned these bike there should be really nothing..
Unless you are someone who lives in a remote area that has is petrol trucked in on a rusty 1930’s gas truck and transferred into old rusty jerry cans.

OK, maybe a bit of muck if you do a lot of mudding and refuel when the bike is got a lot of muck on it,
But all in all they should not be pulling any thing out of those filters..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ive got my recall on my 2020 this Friday, but that's for the ABS regulator **** up.
Annoyingly first one is exploratory then you may have to go back again once part is in (if needed). Why not keep a part in so you can change once your in then just order another rather than double up on strip down??
Crazzzyyyyy!
I was told Honda couldn't even provide a delivery date for the part. My bike went in on 24th March for the fuel tank and no news when it will go back for the abs.

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
118 Posts
Went in at 300 mile mark, picked it up the next day after they installed the new parts and G-filter.

·
Administrator
2,838 Posts
I had significant debris in my tank starting at about 3,500 miles when the bike began to surge, lose power, and stall. Honda scrubbed the tank, replaced the fuel pump and both injectors.

Honda did a recheck at 6,000 miles. Less debris found, but still significant. Honda scrubbed the tank, replaced the fuel pump, both fuel injectors.

Honda completed the warranty service at approximately 11,000 miles. Minimal debris found. Scrubbed the tank, rebuilt the pump with the warranty kit.

Hopefully, after 3 rounds of scrubbing, 2 rounds of fuel injector replacement, 2 rounds of fuel pump replacement and a recall rebuild I am seeing light at the end of the tunnel?

·
Super Moderator
5,598 Posts
I had significant debris in my tank starting at about 3,500 miles when the bike began to surge, lose power, and stall. Honda scrubbed the tank, replaced the fuel pump and both injectors.

Honda did a recheck at 6,000 miles. Less debris found, but still significant. Honda scrubbed the tank, replaced the fuel pump, both fuel injectors.

Honda completed the warranty service at approximately 11,000 miles. Minimal debris found. Scrubbed the tank, rebuilt the pump with the warranty kit.

Hopefully, after 3 rounds of scrubbing, 2 rounds of fuel injector replacement, 2 rounds of fuel pump replacement and a recall rebuild I am seeing light at the end of the tunnel?
I hope so too. Another distraction checked off "the list".

There is not much of a discussion surrounding the "scrubbed" tank welds. Are they vulnerable down the road, or not anymore than normal and properly produced tank welds? :unsure:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes went in 2 weeks ago - the tank was ok the filter not clogged but the line was quite degraded. After filter and line replacement and tank decon - have to say it pulls like a train! Well worth it - it was choking around 4-5k revs before and thought this was just a mapping issue - but turns out not - so glad I got it in

·
Super Moderator
5,598 Posts
Yeah, "choking around 4-5k revs" I have never experienced on the non-ATAS and that would bother me alot. Freeway/highway I am always cruising all day at 4200'ish RPM. Butter smooth with easy willing to accelerate.

·
Registered
2020 ATAS ES DCT and a few more
308 Posts
My 2018 had the issue hit full force at 4500 miles. It was far worse on hot days for some reason. It would go so slow you couldn't ride it on the highway. Let it set for a bit and you could ride for about 20 minutes before you were crawling. My 2020 had debris in the filter but not to the point it impacted the performance.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I am at 5700 kms and had the fuel tank recall done last week (see my other thread). I know they found something but after their stupidity at the dealer I'm just happy to have my bike back in my garage. Rode it 150 kms yesterday. It blipped once early after I filled my empty tank but it hasn't done anything since. I figure it was an air bubble left over from when they redid the filters in the tank.

As far as the condition, all they told me was it "failed their test"... You can read my thread on it if you want to know more.

I suspect there were contaminants in the fuel as that would "fail the test". o_O

·
Super Moderator
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

You’ve had more 💩in your gas tank then in a roadside vault toilet 🚽

Reactions: Cuchulainn

·
Administrator
2,838 Posts
I hope so too. Another distraction checked off "the list".

There is not much of a discussion surrounding the "scrubbed" tank welds. Are they vulnerable down the road, or not anymore than normal and properly produced tank welds? :unsure:
Me too. I still don't trust it to pass when it really needs to because the first time it happened it seemed to just fine. Until suddenly it wasn't and began sputtering and decelerating mid-pass. No warning at all of an impending problem.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
2,838 Posts
Are they vulnerable down the road...
The warranty guy at my dealership seems to think that they are more vulnerable. He felt that this was more a matter of Honda kicking the can down the road than a long term fix.

I am hoping he is wrong.

·
Super Moderator
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The warranty guy at my dealership seems to think that they are more vulnerable. He felt that this was more a matter of Honda kicking the can down the road than a long term fix.

I am hoping he is wrong.

I’m sure the “bean counters “ were involved, figuring out the percentages of what and how many issues will happen after this big clean out..

Reactions: Cuchulainn

·
Super Moderator
5,598 Posts
" ... ladies and gentlemen. What we have before us is a genuine year 2019 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sport, or then known as an 'ATAS'. You will need to inject C8H18 or CH3-(CH2)6-CH3 - other known at the time as 'gasoline', but subsequent to that is the pulsating soul of this wonderous mechanical beast. Now you've all been uploaded the specs and experience of this offering just a second ago, so you should already have felt the essence and rush it can bring. I will note, however, the upload does not mention about an anomaly regarding the fuel tank weld seams. If you come across a genuine specimen you will likely learn that the tank may not be able to retain any combustible fluid (or 'gasoline', as already mentioned). 'Tankfully' our experts can replicate a clone that looks exactly like the authentic unit without the leaky fuss. Also keep in mind you will also need oxygen to energize the engine. Now, I only have one of them, so please feel free to touch and explore the specimen. I will be departing earth on Friday with three more similar condition units in tow. When I arrive we can start discussing opportunities. Thank you! ... "

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've been waiting nearly 2 months for the parts to arrive at the dealer so I can have my recall.
I did call them around 3 weeks ago thinking they had forgotten about me but I was assured the parts have not arrived and they would be in touch.
Has anyone else been waiting months?
I'm in South Devon .U.K.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Those of you who have taken your AT in for the recall...

Did they find anything in your filter ??
By anything, I mean anything..
for almost all of us ( by rights ) should have nothing at all clogged in the filter..
For mine they said the mechanic found a lot of contaminants in the tank. It took far longer than he expected to clean it out. Necessary parts replaced and some other warranty work completed, bike delivered back to the house. Everything seems to be fine. Hoping I can get some numbers added to the odometer reading soon but the government and pandemic are not cooperating.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts