Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!

Riding style

• Supermotard, I love to braaap !

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kneedrager, hello there far off pavement.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Autopilot, I let it do the work...

Votes: 2 66.7%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Lately I bought back one of my previously owned favorite motorcycle, a Yamaha Fazer 8, because I do about 20K km per year so one bike isn't enough for me,
too many expensive services on the AT and I like to have a choice of different style somedays.
Within few days I was back to riding like a sportbike,shifting my butt on the saddle almost hanging off, safer to me in autumn to take less lean angle.

Also had a street riding course with the AT, and though I have the tendency to keep my body straight on it and throw the bike in corners, the instructor told me
this isn't good and I was supposed to ride like any other sport/roadster...

Reading all sorts of conflicting info on the matter, so what style are you guys using, why and anyone feel one is safer, or more efficient on a motorcycle like
the Africa Twin !?
This is a street riding question only btw.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I think your instructor was right... :grin2::grin2::grin2:
If you are on the road there is no reason to drive the AT differently from any other sport bike... always keeping in mind the different characteristics of our bike (lean front tire).
I've attended a 5 days "safe ride tour" in Sardinia (Italy) last month and that's what they teached to me.
They talked about basically 3 positions:

• "Laying": in line with the bike

• "Spiegel": upper body bent inside the turn (face in front of mirror internal to the turn, that's why "spiegel")

• "Hanging": hanging off from the bike with body

Last one obviously reserved for more aggressive riding. The second one is very useful for keeping the bike pretty vertical (more traction) even at high speed. That's where the instructor insisted more. Need practice.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
If using the 'laying' style described above it helps to remember that your head doesn;t have to be 'layed' too. That was my problem identified on a bike handling course, and once I turned my neck to keep my head vertical (and eyes horizontal) it made a big difference to my cornering ability.
Mike

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
If using the 'laying' style described above it helps to remember that your head doesn;t have to be 'layed' too. That was my problem identified on a bike handling course, and once I turned my neck to keep my head vertical (and eyes horizontal) it made a big difference to my cornering ability.
Mike
Oh yes the instructor told me that too, i wasn't keeping my eyes parallel to the ground, since I'm aware of it, I improved my riding a lot !

But I've come across very experienced riders that rode Supermotard and they could ride very fast, they are of the opposite advice than the instructor.

·
Registered
284 Posts
After a few weeks of riding pretty much up and down, I settled nicely into a sort of cruiser type of ride on the road, I think. I lean into turns comfortably but not too aggressively, and yes, with body leaning, but head up for the most part.

It's funny, but I sometimes feel like I'm riding a big Highway Patrol bike--but in a nice way. Or like something between a cruiser and a touring bike. The bike is a bit top-heavy, esp. with a full tank, but I don't feel it while riding. It feels heavy enough, but well-balanced. When I'm having fun and riding slow, say up to a stop sign, I sometimes do that thing where you lean one way, then the other, fairly deep, back and forth but keeping a pretty straight line, and the bike feels solid as hẹll. And she goes down and up just the way I want her too, fun but well stuck to the road.

I haven't taken any classes, but I'm interested in slow riding--I'd like to maybe get into some of those slow riding competitions. But competing with an ATAS against bikes like the cops ride in those competitions, e.g., Street Glides, would be pretty difficult. We don't have the fat tires and the low center of gravity, or those wide skid-plates and foot-rests they scrape along the pavement as they make those sharp turns. And when those bikes fall over, they only have to lift a few inches to vertical.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I ride my AT dirt bike style on the pavement with knobbies & simi knobs. When I’m pushing it really fast & hard in the corners I’m scraping the pegs. The AT works fantastic in the corners.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Having the bike back from dealership and day being still so sunny, I went for a ride and I realised what is problematic to me compared to the Yamaha, with the hanging style and why Supermotard style feels easier.

On the Yamaha the leg position and slightly forward torso, allow me to really grab the tank and footrest protectors, with my legs well and my arms stay relaxed on the handlebar because my back is straight.
On the Honda, I don't feel I have as much hold with my legs nor feet and I can't help but grab the handlebar too firm, because I'm a bit hunched back, to compensate the lack in the legs !

Don't know if my technique is totally wrong or no...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts