Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious so I thought I'd pose the question to the collective.

One of the things I've noticed is in my news feeds, there's a lot of hate for the AT. Maybe more than I've seen for other bikes... most comments seem to come from non owners however. The other thing is we have some pretty amazing choices out there, the t7, 790, 1090, f850gs, a new 850 AT?

How many of you are feeling the pull of another bike as a replacement for your cfl1000?

My answer is I'm keeping mine till its no longer feasible to keep safely on the road. With the care in my maintenance, I want to see how many miles it will go. I'm appreciating the simplicity of my '17 more now that I'm seeing the trend towards more computerized wizardry. I've dropped a fortune in farkles with the suspension upgrades still to come. The bike fulfills it's purpose perfectly for me..... If I get another bike, it'll be a 250. I'm not concerned with resale with this view.

Whether it's computers, smartphones, the marketing preys on our nature to always want the next best thing. I truly feel that ditching this bike would have me regretting it and searching for an identical replacement. I think it's cool seeing the original AT's with their original owners and feel bad for the guys that regret selling theirs.

Obviously life circumstances change, maybe you bought in to the honda marketing, but now living with this bike for over a year, 14,000miles, I feel I got exactly what I expected and those expectations matched the actual design purpose of the bike.

How bout ya'll?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Honestly I don't know and can't say. But here's a positive note. I ride 50/50. I tolerate paved roads to get to the dirt. Its a good thing I live in Colorado as the dirt roads are plentiful. I bought a 2016 Africa Twin after owning a Super Tenere and a Tiger XCx. As the marketing says, it make an average rider a better rider. Its true.. I was drifting the bike around corners on forest service roads and fire roads. It was just an outstanding ADV bike off-road. Onroad I found it to be okay. It didn't like to be pushed too hard as feedback wasn't very good. It's a bit buzzy and does feel like a big true dual-sport more than an ADV bike.

Well after only a year I bought a fully loaded 2017 BMW GS Adventure. Seems the ADV world is enamored with it so I had to see what it was about. It is a nice bike and really polished. It chews up road miles comfortably. But since I do 50/50. It wasn't nearly as good off-road. The ride is numb off-road. You can't tell what the bike is doing under you until it slides somewhat suddenly and not always expected. And lots of people say it doesn't feel as heavy as looks, thats not really a compliment. That means you expect it to handle "heavy" in the dirt and it doesn't. It doesnt' mean it feel light. I'm not knocking the bike. I think it's a really great bike if you do say 80/20 and don't do anything too difficult. Yeah of course there are the extremely skilled that can take it anywhere but for the average rider, it's work off-road.

I missed my AT. So I sold the BMW and bought 2019 AT Adventure Sports. Amazing bike. Just feels right off-road. And don't know what they did to it but my AS handles much better than my standard did. It's probably the suspension. But whatever it is it's better on-road. Its still a bit buzzy and still feels like a bigger dual sport compared to the BMW. But I have no regrets and am really enjoying the ATAS!

I've considered KTM but every time I seriously considered it, there seemed to be negative issues from owners like dirt getting in to the airbox and damaging the engine as well as some other issues. So I've never really considered one.

So we'll see how long I keep my ATAS. Right now I can't imagine riding anything else.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I plan to keep mine and do all services that I can myself , have friendly garage for the rest .
I absolutely love it and my other half too.
We plan on touring with it . I don't do off road so it's getting set up for 98,% road use .
Lots done already making it mine and more planned.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I’ll have mine 4 years next March and can’t see me replacing it anytime soon. I’ve looked at what’s currently available and there’s nothing else that floats my boat, plus the money I’ve spent on it to make it into everything I need is considerable. And that’s the thing, it just does everything I need perfectly. I would like a Z900RS as a second bike, but I can’t see that happening.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I haven't seen anything that pulls me toward it like the AT. I like the Tenere and T700 but they are too big and one is pretty stripped down for the price. I've always like the GS Adventure but dollar for dollar the AT is a pretty good bike for a lot less. I've had a sport bike and can't see myself going back that route again since the adventure bikes open up so many possibilities for travel.

The only other bike I'm currently considering is a trail bike or the CRF450L for adventure touring on a smaller scale.

I've ridden the AT more kilometres in a shorter time than any other bike that I've owned - I love riding it, a lot! I think the AT ticks most of my boxes as a rider and can't foresee selling it for a while.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm at 25 months and nearly 18k miles. It's not going anywhere. Mostly road use this year, but last year it took me around AZ, CO, and UT. Dirt roads and Jeep trails. It's perfect for allowing me to follow gps guidance into deep woods with single lane gravel roads with creek crossings. Then, my AT is flipping left and right through twisties just a few miles lATer.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I missed my AT. So I sold the BMW and bought 2019 AT Adventure Sports. Amazing bike. Just feels right off-road. And don't know what they did to it but my AS handles much better than my standard did. It's probably the suspension. But whatever it is it's better on-road. Its still a bit buzzy and still feels like a bigger dual sport compared to the BMW. But I have no regrets and am really enjoying the ATAS!

I've considered KTM but every time I seriously considered it, there seemed to be negative issues from owners like dirt getting in to the airbox and damaging the engine as well as some other issues. So I've never really considered one.

So we'll see how long I keep my ATAS. Right now I can't imagine riding anything else.
I spent some time on a couple of 2017 AT's before buying my ATAS. The suspension is definitely better. The tank cutouts on the ATAS seem to curve outward sooner - making for less knee room - but I think that is partly the seat height too. The suspension and dash are enough that I'm glad I got the ATAS though...

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have 8 months and 9,000 kilometers with my AT DCT. So far, so good. It is the bike of my life.
I got it because of the automatic transmision and could not be hapier. I will keep it forever!!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
The reason there are so many great deals on used motorcycles. The companies know that the average rider only rides about 2800 miles per year. Folks, motorcycle are expensive toys, not a means of transportation. The Tsumami that destroyed Honda’s plant in Japan on November 22, 2016 caused a major delay on when Honda could actually deliver this bike. So, many of ordered early folks like myself did not get our bikes for almost 6 months later. The late delivery really hurt Honda, after all the promotions on this bike.

When my AT finally arrived, I had to go into the hospital the next day to have a knee replaced. After a few months I got on my bike twice, and then back to the hospital to have to other knee replaced. Finally, got the knees fixed, then back to the hospital two have the lens in my right eye replaced. So, ready to ride I got put back into the hospital have the other eye lens replaced.

Finally, in 2018 I got to ride my almost new 2016 AT DCT. Put 25,000 miles the AT in 2018. After all this is an adventure bike. Then came 2019 and bingo a AFIB problem. Spent two weeks in the hospital and 4 months in a life vest.

Finally the doctors gave me permission to ride again. Went home and was getting into my riding clothes then the cat pulled out a telephone wire, perfect leg trap, and down I went. This time 19 stitches in my leg, a concussion, and a dislocated shoulder.

So, finally I was cleared to ride, and the DCT has gone south. The dealership keep the bike for two months and could not figure out the problem. The dealership also dropped the bike twice bending the muffler, front windshield, and engine guards. So, last week I went an got the bike from the dealership, and this old mid-70 year old man fixed the bike himself from information that I got from the folks on this forum. Thanks All.

So, finally I should be able to ride again! Going to the Barbara for Heritage days and the races next month. Then back to the Appalachian Mounts and Iron Horse. The dragon is always waiting. Then on to Virginia to see George Washington’s home.

Oh yes, I still have my 1978 Gold Wing with over 500,000 miles. I got my first bike on July 30, 1958. Had one every day since. My first date with my wife in 1966 was on a bike. Had to take her father riding before she could ride with me. Flagged a old man down in Vietnam Nam, and bought his press framed 90cc because I just not be without a bike for year. For almost 61 years I have averaged 25,000 miles per year on my bike. At my age I will be dead before this bike is, so I guess I will never sell the Africa Twin DCT..... Besides I do like this bike!!!! Hope to see and meet you guys on the road....

·
Registered
382 Posts
Until it develops a fault that is uneconomical to repair.

From what Ive seen, most of the 'hate' is from people who bought on a whim without any proper and detailed research.
Or, people who bought without carefully checking over the bike before handing over their money. And subsequently discovered major issues.
Or, people who bought the bike because it was 'the next big thing' and not a BMW.

I was excited by the new bike from the first glimpse in 2015, However it didn't tick enough boxes and that had to wait until the 2018 'Sports version. I also wanted some reassurance, extra reassurance that the already proven DCT was a genuine positive for the bike. And not an expensive liability.

There was only one genuine fly in the ointment for me and that was the wheels, my usage is exclusively 'on road' and so tubes were always going to be an extra liability that i couldn't deal with and so they had to go, this was factored in from day 1. I bought the Bike last November and the replacement wheels were ordered 6 weeks later. The only negative from that was that dedicated luggage had to be postponed.

I'm rather less excited (than most) about an impending larger capacity version. I see no point to it from my own perspective, however I will reserve judgement until i see it 'in the flesh' If its a significant upgrade then i may consider swapping. But it would need to be a major step-up. A redesign that will make ownership less costly, if they can somehow make the bike more user friendly for the major service, that would be a good reason to swap. Access to the valves in particular fast and therefore less 'costly' in time. The extra CCs dont really do it for me. A few extra litres in the tank would be good. As would metal panniers that do not require scaffolding. That are a good size but do not add to the bikes width would be fantastic.

wait and see. if none of these extras appear, then the first line of my reply will continue to be my automatic answer to questions of this type.

·
Registered
51 Posts
At 57 years young I was looking for a bike that might just take me through retirement. Like others, I'm not a huge fan of all the tech on some of the new bikes and just wanted a bike I can ride on forest roads, paved 2 lanes , highways where I have to. Since my other bike is a Aprilia Tuono V2 that I've ridden all over the US, With some additional vacation time coming up as well as retirement I'm looking to do some long trips and the 2017 AT fits the bill.
I'll be keeping it as long as it runs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
First, let me say that I have had two ATs, one a standard 2017 and currently, an ATAS. While I would rate the design, engine and transmission very good, I consider the execution of the design poor to fair. Honda has had too many issues on these bikes from fork wear, corrosion issues, poor paint, poor welds on the 2018 ATAS, fuel pump issues due to fuel tank debris, and ...

I understand how many of you love your AT, however, there are other adv bikes with far better build quality and value in my opinion. I recently purchased a Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE. Some consider it a naked adv bike. Some might say it is not a true adv bike. Whatever your opinions are, it has far better build quality and more standard equipment than the AT, such as tubeless rims, cruise control, cornering ABS, cornering traction control, and the ability to turn traction control and ABS completely off. The scrambler also comes with a 2 year warranty vs the AT one year warranty.

Understand that I enjoy my ATAS, and it rides very well. I do not believe Honda builds a quality bike like it had in the past. This will probably be my last Honda product. Honda, why have you compromised on your past outstanding build quality? There are a lot of options available for us to purchase. I am not sure how long I will keep my ATAS and am questioning its long term reliability and maintenance costs.

Jon

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 2017 Africa Twin DCT in the UK. Bought new and setup for trail riding. Rear brake conversion, Altrider everything, 80/20 knobbly off-road bias tyres, 276cx GPS, Kriega bags... it's like a military tank.

Done around 6000 miles on the HAT now.

But share the mileage with my 2017 BMW R1200GSA Triple Black, Full Ohlins TTX suspension, alloy wheels, road bias tyres, HEX EzCan electrics control. Use this bike for road touring.

I love my HAT DCT, no way am I selling that any time soon. But it's very heavy off road.

Been looking at the KTM 790 Adventure R as another off-road bike.

Might then assign the HAT to winter use only.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Due to the amount of money I have spent to upgrade by 2017 DCT, bought new, to 1200 GS standards, I would have to keep mine for a long time.0:)

The bike does fit me like a glove for the kind of riding I do, long tar tours, as well as long gravel and off road trips.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a 2018 DCT. Right before my 1 year Honda Warranty expired I extended it to a 5 year plan. I am 64 years old now so that should cover me until I'm 70. Will evaluate again at that time. No issues or complaints with my bike.

·
Registered
187 Posts
If your dealer had the bike that long and could not only NOT diagnose the AT problem but also dropped your bike you better have raised nine kinds of **** with them. Their behavior sounds inexcusable.

And I love my 2017 AFrica Twin. It is more comfortable than my R1200GS and much more confidence inspiring off road. If I were wealthy I’d buy a new 2018 still on a dealers lot and store it in South America for exploring that continent.

There is nothing I am not happy with on the bike.

And BTW, what was wrong with your transmission?

NC

The reason there are so many great deals on used motorcycles. The companies know that the average rider only rides about 2800 miles per year. Folks, motorcycle are expensive toys, not a means of transportation. The Tsumami that destroyed Honda’s plant in Japan on November 22, 2016 caused a major delay on when Honda could actually deliver this bike. So, many of ordered early folks like myself did not get our bikes for almost 6 months later. The late delivery really hurt Honda, after all the promotions on this bike.

When my AT finally arrived, I had to go into the hospital the next day to have a knee replaced. After a few months I got on my bike twice, and then back to the hospital to have to other knee replaced. Finally, got the knees fixed, then back to the hospital two have the lens in my right eye replaced. So, ready to ride I got put back into the hospital have the other eye lens replaced.

Finally, in 2018 I got to ride my almost new 2016 AT DCT. Put 25,000 miles the AT in 2018. After all this is an adventure bike. Then came 2019 and bingo a AFIB problem. Spent two weeks in the hospital and 4 months in a life vest.

Finally the doctors gave me permission to ride again. Went home and was getting into my riding clothes then the cat pulled out a telephone wire, perfect leg trap, and down I went. This time 19 stitches in my leg, a concussion, and a dislocated shoulder.

So, finally I was cleared to ride, and the DCT has gone south. The dealership keep the bike for two months and could not figure out the problem. The dealership also dropped the bike twice bending the muffler, front windshield, and engine guards. So, last week I went an got the bike from the dealership, and this old mid-70 year old man fixed the bike himself from information that I got from the folks on this forum. Thanks All.

So, finally I should be able to ride again! Going to the Barbara for Heritage days and the races next month. Then back to the Appalachian Mounts and Iron Horse. The dragon is always waiting. Then on to Virginia to see George Washington’s home.

Oh yes, I still have my 1978 Gold Wing with over 500,000 miles. I got my first bike on July 30, 1958. Had one every day since. My first date with my wife in 1966 was on a bike. Had to take her father riding before she could ride with me. Flagged a old man down in Vietnam Nam, and bought his press framed 90cc because I just not be without a bike for year. For almost 61 years I have averaged 25,000 miles per year on my bike. At my age I will be dead before this bike is, so I guess I will never sell the Africa Twin DCT..... Besides I do like this bike!!!! Hope to see and meet you guys on the road....

·
Registered
58 Posts
I kept the KLR for 14 years, I don't see myself selling the AT at all. And I 've had NONE of the issues mentioned above, and have carefully inspected my bike. I do all my own maintenance and repairs, and with the exception of the fork issue, see no problems.
Honestly, I love my AT with one exception, I still can't wheelie the **** DCT. :laugh:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts