Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,114 Posts
Used to do this all the time. During my commute I would always land at the same gas station with about 40 to 50 km estimated range on the AT instrument cluster. This equated to just a wee bit over two liters left in the tank. The fill was spot on at 15.9 or 16 L. Tank holds 18.1 L.

I have never run out of gas, but with consistent riding I can plan to depend on the Honda estimated range.

·
Registered
2021 CRF1100 Africa Twin DCT
76 Posts
I once put in 18,5L when fueling up. The computer indeed went blank concerning the est-km's to ride when I had about 22km left (1L). 0,4L left in the tank sounds realistic since I could barely hear any more fuel moving around when swinging the bike from left to right. This was not really one of my proudest moments, because when crossing the border to Belgium (cheaper gasoline back then) I was really squeezing my buttcheeks together hoping I would not end up running empty on the middle of the bumpy Belgium highway.

·
Registered
2020 AT DCT
130 Posts
My fuel light went on at 299km and I waited a few more km until the next station. I was surprised that she only took 14L and I probably overfilled a bit. I could have got another 80KM if I had to.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
4,001 Posts
Two reasons it will not match up.
1. it is working off a average of fuel consumption.
2. Your gas tank has a slight hump in the middle so usually there is a bit more gas left in the side opposite of the pump.

·
Administrator
3,834 Posts
My wife and I both ran out of fuel on our AT's a few years ago on a trip out to Red Lodge, MT. Both bikes fell short of the estimated remaining range. But they were loaded down for the trip and it was extremely windy. As @AT-Dragon dragon mentions, it works off of average fuel consumption and the conditions were well below average. It pays to carry an extra fuel can such as a Rotopax :)

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
4,001 Posts
My gas rule is simple….

Around my home area, go till the fuel light comes on.
Simply because we have gas stations everywhere. I literally pass 11 of them on my 20min. Commute to work..

Out traveling 1/2 tank is bingo for me.

Remote areas, fill full at EVERY opportunity, no matter the amount in the tank.

·
Administrator
3,834 Posts
Remote areas, fill full at EVERY opportunity, no matter the amount in the tank.
That is the error that we made. We passed on a station because we figured that we had plenty of fuel to make it to the next one. But we came up about 5 miles short :)

Had a friend's wife run out of gas on a trip for a similar reason. We headed out on a Saturday to an overnight destination. A good place to stop for fuel before reaching the destination. The problem is we didn't check their Sunday hours and notice that they were closed on Sunday. She ran out of fuel before we made it to the next station. Luckily I always carry extra fuel so we got her to the next stop with no problem.

But make note of the hours of operation for the return trip, it may vary from when you stopped on the way in :)

·
Super Moderator
9,114 Posts
Consistently when I get down to my last two liters of fuel, Honda seems to have got it right without litigation.

By this time the fuel light has been on for awhile. For me, this signals to "be easy" on the acceleration / engine revs. In addition, the last flashing fuel gauge bar extinguishes. This should signal the alert rider that "time is up" ... all bets are off hereon in.

This has been the case for me on the 2019 AT about 10 out of 10 times.

= = =

In addition, the 2014 Honda CB1100A and 2018 Honda NC750XD exhibited the same reliable behaviour (NC more so) in regards to remaining fuel range during the same travel routes used with the Africa Twin. NC refills discrepancy was always within about 100 mL of fuel.

Though not as relevant, my 2009 Aprilia was surprisingly accurate - and I believe more so than Honda. The fuel tank was below the seat (as it is with the NC750X) and doesn't have the challenge that @AT-Dragon outlines previously since it funnels all fuel to the pump.

= = =

I believe Honda has done a reasonable job warning the rider of fuel conditions. If the rider is inconsistent or heavy-handed while low on fuel, then variations should be expected.

In addition, strong headwinds or too many inclines will also non-linearly run down the estimated remaining range since its affect on average fuel consumption is latent.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have a 2017 standard manual. Fuel light just came on at 165 miles while enjoying some spirited riding on some wine country two lanes where I live. Seems like I Normally get 45-47 MPG ant two trips to work is 150 miles. At 150 miles it takes 3.1 gallons. I'll provide a report on how much fuel it takes to fill and final mileage tally as soon as I get by a gas station.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
4,001 Posts
Out of ALL the story’s I have about motorcycle’s I do NOT have one about running out of gas…
Some BIG overlooked issues of off-road riding..
Especially when just looking at a map of the area to be ridden. On the map; the lake or whatever destination is ONLY 4 miles off the dirt road, no big deal your AT says you got 40 miles of fuel left.
But unfortunately the trail is not some straight freeway. So with all the twists and turns it ends up being 7 or so miles, but now since your off-roading the RPM to speed ratio is waaayyyy more so gas wise it’s more like you’ve gone 12 or so miles.
Now let’s add in a few deep mud holes that you wallowed through , so your back tire is doing 35-45 MPH and your bike is doing 6-8 MPH so in all it adds maybe 2 miles to the destination.
So the little Trip ends up costing you, one way, 12-13 miles off the 40 mile range . No big deal so you got around 15 miles left till bingo, once you get back to the road. Wel that’s assuming your campsite or place you are staying is right there at the trail head along with a convenient gas station.

let’s not even go into the gas consumption of a hoonigan like me….

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
1,619 Posts
Not really related to the OP's question other than it seems to be I can go further on my 2022 ATAS DCT on the same amount of fuel that I could on my 2021 AT DCT. I used to get around 48mg on the AT but I am getting about 54 on the ATAS, would have expected less on the latter as it weighs a bit more.

·
Registered
2021 CRF1100 Africa Twin DCT
76 Posts
I currently average out at 21,54km/L over the last year. That includes some offroading, but also a weekly commute of 100km (my previous job), and now 181km one way commute since a couple of weeks. When offroading I get about 19km/L, when commuting 100km I would get about 22km/L, now I get about 25-26km/L (CC on 104km/h). So when commuting, my fuel light comes on around 380km.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I ran out of gas a couple of weeks ago. I was able to roll up to the pump and the motor died. About 3 miles earlier it started cutting out, low light had been in for 30 miles.

The Lord takes care of idiots and fools
Interesting 30 mile warning. On my 21 the low light comes on at about 63 miles (usa).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts