Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
I've never ordered OEM chain until now and I regret it. What the $ell Honda?
All my DID, EK and MK chains came precut to spec (124) not the OEM chain.

It's hard enough breaking the old chain, now with the dumb OEM chain I had to break three sections to make it fit.
It's like doing the job twice #@&[email protected] :( :((n)(n):poop::poop:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yeah, the Honda chain comes as 130 link. I use a RK chain tool, UTC2100. It was easy enough and with good clear instructions, too.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I've never ordered OEM chain until now and I regret it. What the $ell Honda?
All my DID, EK and MK chains came precut to spec (124) not the OEM chain.

It's hard enough breaking the old chain, now with the dumb OEM chain I had to break three sections to make it fit.
It's like doing the job twice #@&[email protected] :( :((n)(n):poop::poop:
Apart from that, the price of the DID-manufactured Honda OEM chain is £224 in the UK then they want another £14 for the link then they want postage, so about £250 altogether. And yet you can buy a highly rated DID chain for £64 including the link and postage from sportsbikeshop. Come on Honda that's crazy. The OEM chain has the code HV but DID don't list that nomenclature (Hijack Value? 🙄). I've asked them for their nearest equivalent but they didn't answer. The £64 one is an X-ring VX coded chain (grey) ..... and it's delivered as 124 links.
Mike

·
Registered
33 Posts
Top of the line DID 525 ZVM-X (for dual purpose & adventure) costs about 130€ (master link is included). VX3 is around 90€. But I would get zvm to have reserve, as vx3 is rated up to 1100cc. So the question is - get the best of the best aftermarket, or go for oem for 2x the price :)
ps. Shortening the chain is the same job as riveting master link - in other words, not a problem at all. No point in findind exact length out of factory.

·
Registered
438 Posts
The OEM chain you got with a new bike has an easy life because a typical owner would take it easy and get to know the bike.
But by the time you replace it, most people actually ride the bike as it should.
I totally abused the DID chain on long trips away from the garage because the ride must go on.

I never felt after market parts to be inferior even with much more reasonable pricing. (DID, MK, EK etc.)
However, on a whim, I ordered my 4th chain from Honda (1st and last) and got extra work for me, having to trim the chain.
IMO, if they sell it specific for the AT, it should come in 124 length. If they want to give us extra links,
may as well be something useful such an extra master.
But now, I am making too much sense, lol

img_20170827_083336546_36008870204_o.jpg

·
Registered
297 Posts
IMO, if they sell it specific for the AT, it should come in 124 length. If they want to give us extra links,

View attachment 58687
I have to agree with that. They manufactured the bike and since the chain length is listed in the owner's manual, they know the chain specs to fit another one. It isn't like the bike stretches or shrinks with use.

·
Registered
316 Posts
The OEM chain you got with a new bike has an easy life because a typical owner would take it easy and get to know the bike.
But by the time you replace it, most people actually ride the bike as it should.
I totally abused the DID chain on long trips away from the garage because the ride must go on.

I never felt after market parts to be inferior even with much more reasonable pricing. (DID, MK, EK etc.)
However, on a whim, I ordered my 4th chain from Honda (1st and last) and got extra work for me, having to trim the chain.

View attachment 58687
Ordered my last chain through the Honda dealer. When they called and said it was in, I asked if they would cut it for me. I went in and picked it up.... No charge for cutting it.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I'm guessing that a DID VX chain - X ring that gets excellent reviews from everyone who has bought them, is going to be just as good for MY purposes as one of the fancier, more expensive DID chains. I don't ride off road and I ride nearly all the time in D-mode :) However, it does annoy me that even if I look after a chain properly I often get surface rust on the outside of the plates (Having said that this Honda OEM one at 19k miles has never shown rust on the plates, so maybe it's a better OEM chain or maybe it's the Castrol chain lube I've been using). But my question is - are the more expensive DID chains made from some magic materials that don't rust like ordinary chains. The gold links would look good but would look terrible if they rust.
Mike

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I'm in the middle of the chain and sprocket changeover. I bought the super duper DID VXM gold thingy top of the range for £110 delivered which I thought was excellent.
Eveyrthing has worked like a charm so far - following your advice (Very grateful for the tip to loosen the front sprocket nut before taking the chain off).
Anyway ... the thing I wanted to check was the condition of the splines in the centre of the front sprocket as that's where the rust dust is coming from. And they look OK. I rocked the old one on the shaft and then tried the new one and couldn't detect any difference in feel. In fact I took my vernier calliper to the two sprockets and cannot find any differences between the two. The flats on the top of the teeth are exactly the same size. The depth of the valleys between teeth are exactly the same, and there seems to be no wear on the sides of the sprocket teeth either. The only difference seems to be cupped shaped indentations in the rubber insert on the old sprocket but I'm guessing this is not critical.
I'm tempted to put the old one back on (since the rear is staying on anyway), and use this new one with a new rear when this chain is at the end of its life. Whaddya think?
Mike

·
Registered
438 Posts
You should weigh the Pros&Cons of your own decision.
IMO, there is no gain in salvaging cheap(er) parts when you just spent the most on the new chain.
Chances are good, you will shorten the chain life enough to lose any cost saving of a sprocket.

I always change the whole lot. YMMV

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Thanks DCTFan. I'm going to fit the new one (front sprocket). Partly because the fact that the rubber is pristine will mean I have a nicer ride until it too gets worn down like the last one, but also because by the time this chain and the new front sprocket wears out, I will have done 40k miles. At that point I cannot see me doing very many more miles on the bike so I will put the old front sprocket back on, an aftermarket rear and a DID VX chain. That will keep the whole cost down to around £90 which won't be so hard to bear on a 40k mile bike.
Mike

41 - 56 of 56 Posts