Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum as I just recently picked up a 2017 CRF1000L manual, and I'm happy to be here! I took it offroading last weekend and had an aboslute blast and a steep learning curve...but that also came with some battlescars on the body panels (lots of scratches on the front fairings, windshield, and a couple cracks). So I'm outfitting the bike to be more offroad friendly; and with that, the biggest chunk of my money will go to offroad protection for the bike.

I'm leaning towards getting the Outback Motorek Ultimate protection package as it pretty much cages the entire front of the bike. My question is - do we actually need the upper crash bars? In the right environment, your body panels can still get damaged because of the large openings in the crash bars. Is the added weight and cost really worth it?

Also, I suppose getting pannier racks can act as protection as well. Only thing is, I don't want to have panniers. Normally I just toss on a big dry bag and keep going.

Let me know what you think!

(Generic google image)

And here is my bike! Can't wait to get my new Mitas E07 Dakar front and E07+ Dakar rear!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hello and welcome aboard! I have a 2020 ATAS and installed the Outback Motortek bars, including the upper bars and bash pan. I don't off-road a lot but wanted protection from a minor drop in the garage or such as that. The bars turned out well and l think they look great in white. They certainly aren't cheap and I wanted proven protection for my money - what sold me were the demo videos OM has showing bikes falling and the results.

As far as how much protection you need? I guess only you can answer that. If your plastics are already banged up, maybe you can save some bucks and go with the bare minimum. My luck indicates that I will usually need the parts I don't buy...therefore, I bought them all.

Good luck!

Reactions: fastfreddie

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think case guards are always a good thing.

Upper body? I'd be more inclined to have it on an ATAS but, realistically, if you crash hard enough, those bars will only limit the damage to the bike and be trash afterwards. Conversely, they could impart damage where the bike would otherwise have escaped insult. A simple fall over, as those videos represented, shows the bars could bend enough to damage bodywork. Now, let's pick up speed, be it on the road or on the trail. Imagine a rock or curb focusing all the energy in one spot on a bar. Sure it prevented a hard hit to the bike somewhere but, in so doing, it spread that impact out and now you have a other stuff impacted by the bars that may otherwise have survived unscathed.
So it's kinda a question of risk assessment coupled with a financial assessment to justify the cost in both protection and price of repair.

Depending on a crash situation, it's possible to have that protection act as a fulcrum to launch your bike into a ballet of spinning rolls, tumbles and ultimate destruction.
For that reason, and understanding it's a remote possibility that may not be applicable to ADV bikes, none of my "track only" sportbikes have frame sliders tho' I do use case savers. (I don't ride on the street...too dangerous). :) Bike slides out on a turn, at speed, frame slider rides up the outside curbing or digs into the ground and launches the bike into pirouettes of death throes.
Without the frame sliders, the bodywork's mounting brackets maybe get bent, the bodywork may get ground down or cracked or ripped off and maybe I lose a footpeg/pedal and/or a handlebar/lever. Bolt-on stuff...no tumbles, rolls or pirouettes to bend wheels, frames and suspension components/assemblies. Been my experience anyway. :D
Having said all that, I would probably outfit an AT/ATAS with full protection cuz the speed factor would likely limit the number of impacts per incident.
Pannier mounts as protection? I thought that's what Giant Loop rackless saddlebags were for. ;)

I wish there were available aftermarket bodywork like for sportbikes. The whole front end or tail would be a one-piece of fiberglass or carbon with very few fasteners...totally unlike the OEM with its dozen or so metal and plastic fasteners, not to mention the tab "A" into slot "B" nonsense. Race/track-prepped bikes are soooo easy to work on. A handful or so of DZUS fasteners and your bike is naked. (y)

·
Registered
2020 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE
151 Posts
I prefer to run upper body bars and an oversized skid plate that acts like lower bars (Bumot skid plate). You can get a 2 for 1 special if you run an oversized skid plate assuming you need all that protection. That's about it for my bike protection. The rest of my money is more focused on personal protection. I actually wear an Alpinestars Bionic protective coat and SX-1 knee guards when I ride. It fits perfectly under my gear. I also off road with Alpinestars MX boots too. These days I'm more worried about having personal protective equipment rather than heavily armoring my bike.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yup on the PPE.
My wife says, "If there's a piece of PPE available and you're not wearing it, WHY NOT?"

I have custom CTi knee braces or knee/shin guards, armored A* (Alpinestars) vest or full MX back/chest protector, armored shorts, elbow/forearm guards, expensive gloves and helmets cuz experience has shown me the lesser priced items don't last nor protect as well and, last but not least, proper boots - A*, smooth sole or Gaerne, lugged tread.
As a sportbike track junkie, I also have a selection of high-end, fully armored, leather one-piece racing suits.

Dirt bruises and make-me-walk-funny temporary injuries occur more than on asphalt, but it's not like I haven't had my share of catastrophes on either. I feel completely naked if I don't wear ATGATT. I even get skittish about taking a bike down the driveway without a helmet...it just doesn't feel right. Forget about jeans and riding jacket on the street (with proper boots/gloves/helmet)...can't do it. Put me on a track, I can't dive on the brakes hard enough to just barely make that hairpin at the end of a long, top speed straight while rolling on to full throttle as I exit from an apex. Short of flying a fighter jet, I can't imagine anything that even comes close, with the exception of jet sprint boats...and those guys/gals are strapped in for life!

·
Registered
112 Posts
The HEED bars have saved my bacon and are not a substantial weight penalty. They have hit the ground, protected the plastics and vitals, and survived with no deflection. That was on dirt mind you and not hard pack. They're also easily touched up with satin black paint. Worth every penny in my mind.

·
Registered
6 Posts
How do you like the SW-Motech bars? It took me a few days researching the options - I was considering outback motortek until I realized I'd have to cut down my exhaust guard on my ATAS DCT, and that was a no go. I ended up going with the touratech upper and lowers because they seemed well built and solidly mounted, and I wanted stainless steel. The SW-Motech also offered stainless steel, but I was concerned about the integrity of the front mounting brace on the motech bars.

·
Registered
112 Posts
@hit-man...
I like the fully-welded architecture. How was the install?
Hey fastfreddie. The install was pretty simple really. I've had them off twice since for maintenance. It's a really nice system and very affordable for what you get. Don't worry that they come from overseas. They're packed to survive the end of the world.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have no issues buying from Slavic countries...Old World craftsmanship, even if they use robots these days.

As an interesting sidebar, Akrapovic (arguably the best aftermarket exhausts on the market) got into full swing when "the Wall" came down. A handful of unemployed Ti welders that used to make the exhaust nozzles for MIG fighter jets needed to make a living. Got that straight from Igor A. himself. (Wikipedia depicts a Westernized history that details his motorcycle exploits without revealing the origin of his fabrications skills). Got some interesting tidbits on the "politics" of racing at the world level, too.

·
Registered
112 Posts
For sure. I definitely wasn't referring to the craftmanship, but rather the long journey potentially in the hands of shipping gorillas.

·
Registered
187 Posts
That, too. My most recent purchase from "over there" was a full set of bodywork for my track-prepped CBR, pre-Covid. The biggest delay was the post-9/11 banking laws when transferring funds internationally. (Sometimes it's more expedient to deal with the MFG directly). The undamaged package itself came relatively quick (one fairly cube-shaped box) once the funds were verified.
Covid restrictions? No idea on shipping delay...or, yeah, how many times it'll get kicked around a warehouse floor. :rolleyes:

Good to hear the install(s) seem painless. That Touratech stuff looks nice, too, but the prices? I can't see them being better or worse than the HEEDs nor can I see Touratech justifying their prices.

·
Registered
187 Posts
@hit-man, do you run an aftermarket skidpan? I started looking and the AltRider is appealing, don't know who else has 'em other than the usual suspects like OM and SW.

·
Registered
112 Posts
@fastfreddie I'm currently running the stock skid plate. Most of my off road adventures take me where there's fewer rocks and downed trees. The units the offered by HEED look impressive and are available in steel or aluminum.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I take it you have a 1000? HEED's site doesn't show any for the 1100.
Not that I have either yet, but I've been concentrating my pre-purchase research on the 1100 and its aftermarket-ed products.

·
Registered
2017 CRF1000 manual w Rally livery
57 Posts
Lower crash guards only - am trying to keep the weight down and a few scratches on the bike would not bother me. I am a minimalist though, even use the factory pegs and panniers (don't want the weight of after market racks).

·
Super Moderator
6,995 Posts
Lower Altrider crash bars only. I currently do not transverse off-road. Besides, I need some place to hang my feet and the thick stainless steel pipes provide the means.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts