Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all - as a potential owner how much is it to fit spots to a 2020 ATAS and can it be done without diagnostics to get them to integrate? It’s a UK 2020 spec bike. Would you recommend Honda OEM spots or something else like Denali?

Thanks in advance, I just need to factor them in to a potential purchase so appreciate any thoughts.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Mines not an ATAS but the AT 2020 version so essentially the same process.
I managed to install Rigid industries-Ignite onto my 2020.
Firstly (last year) I used the Rigid switch and added it to my bars but last weekend I managed to remove that and utilise the OE switch (using the jumper wire trick on the Diagnostics plug) so as long as the current draw is ok on the lights you want (don't wanna kill that lithium battery lol) ...the world is your oyster!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I Have a 2018 ATAS and just had proper Honda fog lights fitted at my dealer. Expensive but really good. Very pleased with them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Firstly (last year) I used the Rigid switch and added it to my bars but last weekend I managed to remove that and utilise the OE switch (using the jumper wire trick on the Diagnostics plug) so as long as the current draw is ok on the lights you want (don't wanna kill that lithium battery lol) ...the world is your oyster!
Thanks - I've seen the jumper plug option....but don't want to upset a modern vehicle....my other vehicle is a 9yr old Hilux. A hammer fixes most things on that!
How much to budget then for decent spots?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One of the bikes I’m looking at has Heed bars if that makes a difference to mounting?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi, i have Heed Bars and on my local dealer they had a PUIG set for ~200€ that look great and have great light they fitted directly to the loom.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2020 ES DCT and mounted Baja Designs Adventure Bike Squadron Kit Pro (1") on Heed crash bars. If you don't have crash bars they also have AT-specific mounting kits that allow mounts to frame or windshield. Extremely bright and happy with purchase, with one caveat below. $525 for the lights and local shop charged $285 labor to install.

As others have described here and other forums my goal was to use a Skene dimmer kit to have the lights always on @ 10%-20% and 100% with the stock bright switch on, but for whatever reason (and after several calls between my mechanic and Baja Designs and Skene engineering departments) it was determined that it wasn't possible on the 2020 AT. Ended up mounting the (included) dedicated light switch in a convenient location near the other left hand controls. The lights also power on/off along with the bike, which was a must.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Zippy - how complicated was it to fit them and do you have any images. Are the OEM Honda spots comparable to say Denali DMs? Not sure which way to go but now I have the bike I do want to get some spots on there asap.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Zippy - how complicated was it to fit them and do you have any images. Are the OEM Honda spots comparable to say Denali DMs? Not sure which way to go but now I have the bike I do want to get some spots on there asap.
The new 2020 bikes are so much simpler since they added those connectors behind the side fairings.
I installed lights on my 2017 and as a non electric guy it was fiddly/trricky and worrying that id fek it up.

I didnt install the Honda lights or Denali, I liked the compact look the Rigid Industries lights (ignite system) so cant comment on the Hondas or Denali but for the cost the build quality and performance of the little ignites are awesome (fyi I run floods not spots as I wanted to illuminate country lane corners and not distant objects)

Link below to my install and other help I got from forum members

Integrate other fog lights than OEM?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
That's useful thanks _ I may risk giving it a go myself if I can find some suitable lights....

I'm sure there will be more questions when I get around to it.

So far the Denali DM 2.0 are looking like possibles - if still pretty expensive. If it's a s simple as wiring to the existing plugs under the fairing (assume after purchasing the right matching connector) is it possible to make the most of the data dim tech they offer. I.e 50% brightness for normal riding and then 100% brightness when full beam is on?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm guessing not if just going with the direct plug option as per Zippy? Any bike electrics experts in Dorset?!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's useful thanks _ I may risk giving it a go myself if I can find some suitable lights....

I'm sure there will be more questions when I get around to it.

So far the Denali DM 2.0 are looking like possibles - if still pretty expensive. If it's a s simple as wiring to the existing plugs under the fairing (assume after purchasing the right matching connector) is it possible to make the most of the data dim tech they offer. I.e 50% brightness for normal riding and then 100% brightness when full beam is on?
Has anybody got any experience to offer a view on the above? When I enquired with Honda they implied fitting spots was a bit of an epic as the in pace connectors were well tucked away?

I picked the bike back up yesterday having had the tank/filter and ABS recall done so I will be able to have a proper poke around later.

·
Registered
2020 ATAS Manual
35 Posts
Has anybody got any experience to offer a view on the above? When I enquired with Honda they implied fitting spots was a bit of an epic as the in pace connectors were well tucked away?

I picked the bike back up yesterday having had the tank/filter and ABS recall done so I will be able to have a proper poke around later.
Hi tr12.
I‘ve been tempted to fit the OEM spots to my 2020 ATAS. I had all the fairings off to route wiring for the TomTom and I saw the spot light block connectors whilst I was in there.

Im put off by two things, first the price of them! I’ve got Outback Motortek crash bars on so I’d need to buy their £100+ bracket. Second is that it is a pain pulling the fairings off. I think it’d take half a day to get them all fitted as the crash bars etc all need to come off and then go back on again.

If I ever work up the enthusiasm to spend the cash, I’d definitely fit them myself though. It’s nothing technical, you just need a little patience with the plastics.
I’m only really interested in the OEM lights as they’re a simple plug and play. I don’t need a second sun (which the Denali D4s seem to be reviewed as), if anything it’s just for the aesthetics and being seen by car drivers.
I’ll be interested to hear/see what you go for in the end!

Ben.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Ben - that's useful...a shame it's such a pain to get at the connectors. I have Heed bars on mine so assume an adapter would be needed as well. Like you I am more after the aux side of lights as opposed to increased lighting. I'm yet to take it out in the dark but I'm sure the LED headlights will be better than my 09 GS's with spots on top. That's why I'm considering the Denali DMs which seem like tidy compact units that provide enough to be seen? It would be good to be able to compare their output but they seem to be a few hundred cheaper than the Honda OEM ones.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts