Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone out there have one set of wheels+tires for the road and another for the dirt?

If so, how long does it take you to swap both wheels? And do you use a special jack or just the center stand?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Does anyone out there have one set of wheels+tires for the road and another for the dirt?

If so, how long does it take you to swap both wheels? And do you use a special jack or just the center stand?
I've removed both wheels myself, and put them back on. It takes longer than 5 minutes, but it isn't an all day job. It may take over an hour the first time you do it, but I suspect that you could get it down under half an hour with practice.

I removed mine to take them into the bike shop so they could remove the tyres for me (now, that is quick - for them) and then return them to the bike shop to put the new tyres on (after I had installed my Outex system). My local bike shop only charges about ten bucks to mount a tyre, that's great value for the time & effort I'm saving!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Doesn’t take long to Swap wheels, it’s the brake discs that are a faff..... but I’m too mean to buy another set...
Need to swap mine again and take the TKC 80s off , if they didn’t wear so fast on the road I wouldn’t bother!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doesn’t take long to Swap wheels, it’s the brake discs that are a faff..... but I’m too mean to buy another set...
Need to swap mine again and take the TKC 80s off , if they didn’t wear so fast on the road I wouldn’t bother!
If I go this route, I was planning to put another set of rotors on both wheels (pricey, I know).

Maybe I should just take mine off and put them back on several times and see how fast I can do it!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have 2 sets of wheels and the swap is pretty quick.
I have a brake rotor on each rear wheel, but I have to swap the ABS sensor and sprocket on the rear and the two rotors on the front (ABS sensor is attached to the rotor).

I put it on the center stand and swap the rear wheel first. Pretty straight forward. Swap sprocket, ABS sensor and spacers and back on. Be careful if you lay the wheel on its side on the ground after you pull the sprocket and cush drive because the inner hub is soft metal and can get damaged or dirty.

I then push down on the back of the bike while its on the center stand and slide a small jack stand under the skid plate to elevate the front wheel. Loosen one of the brake calipers and remove it's lower mounting bolt so I can swing it out of the way when I remove the wheel. Pull the axle remove the wheel, swap the rotors and spacers and reinstall.

Taking my time it is not over a half hour beginning to end. If I was in a hurry, maybe 10 minutes.

·
Registered
101 Posts
10 minutes ! Your having a laugh surely, only done it once so far so going to be slow..... ten minutes .... I wish !
Great work if you can pull it off tho !!

·
Registered
979 Posts
I think reasonably it could be done in half an hour to forty five minutes if you have rotors and an abs ring on both sets. Easily under an hour if you have to swap parts back and forth.

Reactions: Bless The Rains

·
Registered
287 Posts
I noticed this post yesterday morning, I was having new tyres fitted to my ATAS yesterday so I noted how long it took me,

Start the clock,I loosened both front and rear spindles (wow the rear was tight) placed a box under the engine ,front first, removed the callipers remove wheel and spacers,

Rear , removed the brake calliper (mines DCT,didnt remove parking brake) partly removed spindle pushed wheel forward lifted off chain, remove spindle and slide wheel out,
Total time 25 minutes didn't rush ,just took my time,
Had tyres fitted took a couple of hrs, after a few coffees and chats,

Back on the Clock,,,Cleaned and greased all the spacers and spindles, fitted the front wheel first, then onto the back, slid the wheel into the bottom brake calliper nice and gently, thread chain partly on lift wheel and slide in spindle rotate wheel to fully fit chain, fit brake calliper , watch the shim stays in place on calliper tighten it all up,

Fully tighten all bolts on front and rear wheels, wipe any greasy marks off wheels etc, clean discs with brake cleaner on a cloth, pump front and rear brake levers, and put away spanners etc , oh! and check to make sure you don't have any bits left over,
50 minutes,
Total 75 minutes, I'm sure I could have done it a lot quicker, but I didn't have a need too, It was on the centre stand at all times, wouldn't like to do it without a c/stand, lol

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I noticed this post yesterday morning, I was having new tyres fitted to my ATAS yesterday so I noted how long it took me,

Start the clock,I loosened both front and rear spindles (wow the rear was tight) placed a box under the engine ,front first, removed the callipers remove wheel and spacers,

Rear , removed the brake calliper (mines DCT,didnt remove parking brake) partly removed spindle pushed wheel forward lifted off chain, remove spindle and slide wheel out,
Total time 25 minutes didn't rush ,just took my time,
Had tyres fitted took a couple of hrs, after a few coffees and chats,

Back on the Clock,,,Cleaned and greased all the spacers and spindles, fitted the front wheel first, then onto the back, slid the wheel into the bottom brake calliper nice and gently, thread chain partly on lift wheel and slide in spindle rotate wheel to fully fit chain, fit brake calliper , watch the shim stays in place on calliper tighten it all up,

Fully tighten all bolts on front and rear wheels, wipe any greasy marks off wheels etc, clean discs with brake cleaner on a cloth, pump front and rear brake levers, and put away spanners etc , oh! and check to make sure you don't have any bits left over,
50 minutes,
Total 75 minutes, I'm sure I could have done it a lot quicker, but I didn't have a need too, It was on the centre stand at all times, wouldn't like to do it without a c/stand, lol
Thanks! That's really useful information.

Overall, it looks like it's more than a simple 10 minute job. So for now I'll just get some 50/50 tires for on/off road and see how well it works for commuting during the week and off-road on the weekend.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts