Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Suspension Video Explanation ?

I am a visual person, is there a video explaining these terms (preload etc) with photos or animations. I did not finish high school so this would help greatly.

For me I ride street 99.9% and want a comfy ride BUT don't want the forks bottoming when performing emergency braking.

Off-road capability for me is when natural disasters (hurricanes) knock over trees that block the road and I have to jump the curb or sidewalk. :wink2:

·
Registered
296 Posts

This would be a good starting point. With that said, the "ideal" setup is subjective. Personally I'm 200lbs (probably 220lbs with all my gear on), and I often ride with my gf (120lbs) and a side bag (10lbs) and I dont even have to change the preload. Maybe it's cause I'm coming from a bike with an extremely harsh suspension, but **** this bike rides smooth. My gf couldn't believe it. My scrambler gave her headaches because of how harsh it was. We went for 1h30 ride yesterday including some dirt roads, and no headache. If the roads around here were nice I'd probably find the AT too soft, but man oh man, our roads are terrible and setting the suspensions on the softer side (with preload on the rear shock maybe 2/3 of the max) just works great solo and 2 up. So far it hasn't bottomed out, and I can live with the front dive under heavy braking, You can't have a super plush ride and have it handle like a sports bike, so depending on what kind of riding you do, and the type of roads you ride, you might want to stiffen everything up, or go the complete opposite direction.

·
Registered
465 Posts
For me I ride street 99.9% and want a comfy ride BUT don't want the forks bottoming when performing emergency braking.
I weigh 195 and don't ride offroad. I backed the damping and preload completely off to see what difference it made and never bottomed the forks, ever. Still not as plush as the GL500 I had.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I weigh 195 and don't ride offroad. I backed the damping and preload completely off to see what difference it made and never bottomed the forks, ever. Still not as plush as the GL500 I had.

I haven't tried a GL500, but I tried a Tenere ES (electronic suspensions), and the Africa Twin is pretty close to the Comfort mode on the Tenere, which says a lot. There's tons of suspensions available for these bikes, but the vast majority will just make the bike stiffer and make it handle better at the cost of comfort, so just be careful if you go that route. The only bike I can think of that is MUCH more comfortable than the AT, is an R1200RT...and it's in a completely different category...For an adventure bike I think it's pretty good. If you can take a Scrambler 1200 XE for a test ride, you'll see how badly 10" of travel can be setup.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Desert rider I went to the site but I have no idea what I am looking for o_O

Prices are good but I don't like throwing money out the window and see what works.

I'll come back to the suspension when I get a handle on my yo-yo weight loss and then start planning for some rides near North Carolina next Spring.

For now I'll just max pre-load front and back and tell my 120 lb pillion to take a plane and meet me later. ✈

·
Super Moderator
5,598 Posts
Desert rider I went to the site but I have no idea what I am looking for o_O

Prices are good but I don't like throwing money out the window and see what works.

I'll come back to the suspension when I get a handle on my yo-yo weight loss and then start planning for some rides near North Carolina next Spring.

For now I'll just max pre-load front and back and tell my 120 lb pillion to take a plane and meet me later. ✈

41 - 48 of 48 Posts