Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

As the title suggests, I am wondering if anybody has any experience changing the coolant, I looked at the owners manual and it says that it should not be attempted unless trained. This seemed a bit extreme for a coolant change, and I am not in a place where I could take it to someone who is. What I assume is the drain bolt for it, on again what I assume is the underside of the water pump is not in a particularly easy to access spot and seems to require the removal of part of the frame.

Any help would be most appreciated

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just went through the entire manual and can't see the coolant drain bolt anywhere in it's diagrams. It's mentioned but does not show you where it is. :surprise: I suspect that bolt on the lowerside of the water pump is it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another coolant question: does anybody know what the composition is of the "Stock" coolant that comes in a 2019 ATAS? Is it a 50/50 mix like the Honda HP that is shown as a replacement? I have a new bike and live in a cold climate with an unheated garage, wanted to make sure my bike is protected.

Thnx

·
Registered
109 Posts
Incidentally, I was looking at it only yesterday as my CRF will be 3 years old in February and I will need to change the coolant. I was surprised to read in the workshop manual that in order to remove and empty the reserve tank one needs to remove the real wheel and shock absorber!! Of course I am not going to do that, removing the coolant from the reserve tank can be simply done with a syringe pump, no need to rinse its inside as the manual suggests.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Incidentally, I was looking at it only yesterday as my CRF will be 3 years old in February and I will need to change the coolant. I was surprised to read in the workshop manual that in order to remove and empty the reserve tank one needs to remove the real wheel and shock absorber!! Of course I am not going to do that, removing the coolant from the reserve tank can be simply done with a syringe pump, no need to rinse its inside as the manual suggests.
Hi there. Could you possibly help me as I am about to do the same thing. Do you have any tips after doing this and anything I should be aware of?

I am also thinking of using Evans waterless coolant so I never have to change it again.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
364 Posts
Truth be told, I never changed the coolant.
But my dealer changed it, every time they checked the valves.
Why do folks feel the need to change just the coolant?
Do you not check the valves?
The valves were adjusted to spec each time mine was at the dealer.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
The only time I changed coolant on the bike was because it [partially] leaked out, and upon discovery, the coolant looked kinda "stale" :oops: Yeah, I was negligent.

Valves? May Hondas never needed valve adjustments, but not saying one day it will come. On the other hand, my Yamahas seemed to always need valve adjustments.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Well you wouldn't know unless you check.
The coolant needs to be drained prior to the inspection.
The recommended valve check interval is every 16k miles.
My point was to change coolant when checking valves.
Of course YMMV :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts