Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I missing something here?

I see plenty of full-length, flow-through (no restriction) aftermarket exhaust systems being employed all over the internet, yet I never see any discussions of how to remap the ignition on these bikes?

I am completely new to FI, but I know fuel/air mixture is totally ECU-based and non-adjustable except with a tuning device like a computer or handheld device.

The only place I've seen a remap discussion mentions a place called Rugged Roads in the UK somewhere.

I know these bikes are borderline 'as lean as technically possible' to pass all these Euro3 and Euro4 emissions standards, so wtf is going on here?

Don't they run like **** and backfire and burn valves when you put these racy exhausts on?

Or does the FI just do it's job based on 02 readings, and slightly enriches the mixture?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am rather fortunate as I live around 15 miles away from the main Dynojet/Power commander agent for the UK (FW Develpoments) and my mechanic used to build engines and bikes for the TT for V+M Racing.

I have the original prototype PC5 Power Commander fitted and a bespoke fueling map installed on mine. FW used my AT as the development mule for the now available PC5.

The fuelling is now spot on and we are going to do some additional development on the engine over the winter, which will include gutting the airbox and should funds allow I would like to rip the heads off and get them gas flowed and possibly skimmed to increase the compression in the engine at FW.

The engine will then need to be re mapped/reflashed so the ignition is spot on and then will neeed to go back to FW for another fuel map to be installed on the Power Commander so it fuels correctly.

The short and narrow is that if you do fit a complete exhaust system then you really need to install a pc5 or some sort of module that does increase the amount of fuel that goes into the engine

·
Registered
35 Posts
I ran the full exhaust on my bike for a few miles with the stock ECU just out of curiosity. The stock ECU didn't do bad, the exhaust and engine felt normal to me. However, once I installed the PC5 w/autotune the throttle response and power through the higher RPM was noticeably better.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Has any one tried the programmer from ripid bike/dimsport? I have done a little reading/ research, But not much out there on the crf1000l. I have had a couple of pc5/auto tune, with some good and some bad results.
Alex cano how long have you had the pc5, and did you dyno it to get a tune or did it come with a canned tune?

·
Registered
792 Posts
Had my bike re-mapped by Geoff at Hilltop m/cs. Basically, he writes another map into the ecu. Transforms the performance very noticeably and safeguards the engine from doing any damage. Well worth the money.

·
Registered
312 Posts
As I'm about to purchase a new complete system, does the fitting instructions not advise you to have it re-mapped ????

·
Registered
792 Posts
Any guff I've read from the manufacturers of these jewels of loveliness say no re-mapping required. But then, it's not like they'd really want to say you need to spend even more money after you've splashed a load of cash already.

A mate of mine remarked how lean my exhaust gasses smelt....so I decided to get it checked out just to be safe. In fact, Geoff at Hilltop wouldn't run my bike on his dyno for a before reading as he too said it smelled that it was running too lean.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Any guff I've read from the manufacturers of these jewels of loveliness say no re-mapping required. But then, it's not like they'd really want to say you need to spend even more money after you've splashed a load of cash already.

A mate of mine remarked how lean my exhaust gasses smelt....so I decided to get it checked out just to be safe. In fact, Geoff at Hilltop wouldn't run my bike on his dyno for a before reading as he too said it smelled that it was running too lean.
OK, thanks for the heads-up. As I'm thinking of an ARROW system, I might just try and contact them, just to see what they say :) but as most manufacturers in Europe I believe are on annual holidays, I don't expect an answer for a month or so:( wish me luck :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Whilst a number of bike manufacturers ECU’s can be reflashed this is not the case for a number of Honda’s. I note Davy F’s comment above about Geoff at Hilltop, who can apparently remap those that no one else can, however having researched the Internet, personally I’m not convinced that it is a true remap/reflash of the ECU.

Below is my response from ‘Steve Jordan Motorcycles & Performance’ OFFICIAL DYNOJET DYNO CENTRE.

"We cannot reflash the ECU however we could fit a power commander and custom remap it which will cost £693.48 depending on how long it will take to fit. I have priced it with 2 hours labour to fit but it could be less as we have not fitted on yet and power commander have not up loaded instructions yet.
Are you fitting a full system exhaust or just an end can?
If it is just an end can you might not need to get the bike remapped. We could check it on the dyno it would cost £45 to do."

Of note they can reflash the ECU on a number of other manufacturers as well as Honda CBR600RR/Fireblade ECU's

I am considering a full system but would certainly get a power commander if I did.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts