Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Trying to pick up an ADV after a fall is one of my biggest fear because I have a really bad back. And to be frank with you, I don't know if I can pick it up using that method.

Then I came across this method:

Has anyone tried this method?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've found the backing up to the bike method to be complete bs, and I just grab the bars and yank it up like a dirtbike. I hadn't thought of just lifting on a single bar end like that but it looks like it would work better. A couple weeks ago I dropped it on a side hill in deep sand with full luggage, and of course I had to lift it up hill. I grabbed the handlebar with one hand and the passenger peg frame with the other but when it was 3/4 of the way up it wouldn't go up any further. I had to let it back down, stop and have a beer, then I dug holes under the tires and pushed the bike up so that it fell into the holes.

·
Registered
194 Posts
One of the issues any of us can have is where to grab onto the bike. It can be very tough to get a good grab handle that will allow you to really grasp the bike and lift it without losing your grip. It can also be tough to get both hands positioned evenly without stretching your body out and screwing your back up. To help with this I have purchased a couple sets of tie down extensions.

The blue tie down extension seen here is what I am referring to. While I don't need extra leverage opening my over door, you can see how it only takes a solid anchor point on the bike and the strap will wrap around your wrist making for a much stronger way of keeping hold of the bike. Given that straps like this cost about $20 and take up no space and can be used to lengthen a rock strap or tie down, they are worth having anyway. Call it the oven door approach; just an idea.

NC

1 - 5 of 5 Posts