Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
CRF 1000 L Africa Twin
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've been driving in the Picos da Europa last week and my AT was attacked by bugs in Spain.
I've washed already with shampoo and a pressure hose, have tried bug cleaning spray and nothing.
The stains continue to appear in the body of my AT and it looks ugly as hell.
My AT is black and with the stains if looks almost camouflaged.

Any ideas on how can i remove the stains from the bugs carnage?

Cheers,

·
Registered
2022 AT AS ES (non-DCT)
60 Posts
Looking for similar help. I rode through a nasty section of "Mormon crickets" and my bike is a mess. I was just researching this morning and found a product called bugslide that looks interesting.

Miles and miles of bugs on the road.

Cloud Sky Plant Asphalt Road surface

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
2,422 Posts
Because I had a matt black AT and now have a matt black ATAS I have been using this, also use it on my matt black skid lid (yes I like matt black :D ).

Hand Liquid Bottle Drink Fluid

Just been round fitting a screen saver so seeing as I recalled seeing this thread I thought I would demonstrate.

Pic of some splattered beasties from Saturday morning run.

Vehicle Motorcycle White Automotive tire Hood

Spray on the MucOff,.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Car

Leave 20 or 30 seconds or so then wipe off with a microfibre cloth.

Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
838 Posts
Bugslide works ok for before, don't know about after....A towel soaked in soap and water over the windshield helps soften them. Seems half the bugs are on the inside though

·
Registered
CRF 1000 L Africa Twin
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Because I had a matt black AT and now have a matt black ATAS I have been using this, also use it on my matt black skid lid (yes I like matt black :D ).

View attachment 72525

Just been round fitting a screen saver so seeing as I recalled seeing this thread I thought I would demonstrate.

Pic of some splattered beasties from Saturday morning run.

View attachment 72526

Spray on the MucOff,.

View attachment 72527

Leave 20 or 30 seconds or so then wipe off with a microfibre cloth.

View attachment 72528
I will give it a go! Already bought this online, waiting for the arrival.
This is exactly what happen with my matt AT.

Thanks for the tip

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
4,264 Posts
@Bigster
If it doesn’t work, make up a good story about it….
Something like; how you had to ride through miles of locusts to save some school children…

But hopefully the stuff will work..

·
Super Moderator
10,164 Posts
Terry towels soaked in hot soapy water.
Similar (or worse) to @Hood 's image example, I almost use @satx_tengu 's recommendation, except:
  • I fill a bucket with [just] water from a garden hose,
  • Soak a micro fiber cloth in it,
  • Place on area to be cleaned for a short period of time,
  • Then gently wipe off goo, rinse and repeat as necessary,
  • Pour the "bug water" into the vegetable garden and lawn.

It is incredibly low effort on a matt black Africa Twin!

Note: Prior to bug splatter, my windscreen has been treated with an application of Plexus.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Similar (or worse) to @Hood 's image example, I almost use @satx_tengu 's recommendation, except:
  • I fill a bucket with [just] water from a garden hose,
  • Soak a micro fiber cloth in it,
  • Place on area to be cleaned for a short period of time,
  • Then gently wipe off goo, rinse and repeat as necessary,
  • Pour the "bug water" into the vegetable garden and lawn.

It is incredibly low effort on a matt black Africa Twin!

Note: Prior to bug splatter, my windscreen has been treated with an application of Plexus.
The reason why I prefer hot water is that it actually does the job the first time. Very rarely have I had to repeat the procedure on the same area. Also terry towels work better because they absorb water much better than microfiber. I use a microfiber to clean the area after the soak.

·
Super Moderator
10,164 Posts
The reason why I prefer hot water is that it actually does the job the first time. Very rarely have I had to repeat the procedure on the same area. Also terry towels work better because they absorb water much better than microfiber. I use a microfiber to clean the area after the soak.
Agreed.

I am too lazy to drag hot water out of the house when the garden hose is eight feet away and with a micro fiber cloth it appears to work for me. Repeat of same zone applications is actually uncommon.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Check out 'Magic Eraser Sponge' on Amazon. No soap required and works on windscreen and plastic bits without scratching. Just wet the area before you wipe and don't apply too much pressure. Easy peasy.. I carry a little offcut to clean my visor. Just that and a drop of damp from my drinking water bottle does the trick. Cheap as chips. After a ride I always try to clean the insects off before their little dead bodies end up staining my lovely bike. Every day a school day I suppose? Hope this helps.... 😬 👍👨‍🎓

·
Super Moderator
10,164 Posts
You don't want to apply wax to a matt finish or it will not be matt any more.
... will add that (at least for me) bug juice stains don't seem to cling to the matt black finish as on traditional gloss finishes. I don't know why, but it is a surface behaviour I am noticing. Just garden hose water in a bucket and a micro fiber wiping towel. No chemicals, no toxic formaldehyde or melamine based sponges. Bucket-o-bug water ends up feeding the vegetable herb garden afterwards.

It truly makes Africa Twin Matt Black in a league of its own. A sort of "cut above". :D

·
Registered
133 Posts
Some nice stuff in here. I'm not used to washing bikes, but I paid a lot of $$$ to let grime build up. It looks lke its worth more when its clean and justifies the price in my eye. Plus this bikes been good to me and has earned it

I keep mine pretreated with graphene spray on paint and plastic. Presoak the guts by washing the whole bike overall. The remaining bug spots after get elbow grease with a microfiber towel that is made for scrubbing/cleaning. Maybe another splash of soap in the bucket

The towel makes a difference. A polishing towel is different than scrubbing. The terrycloth towels work good but can leave swirl marks that will show on the windshield.

In the future. I'll add hot water and try the magic sponge which I have

Heres a wash tip. Use a toilet brush or similar to reach in there and scrub

1 - 20 of 48 Posts