Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just placed a huge order. Should be here in a month or two. Pics and review to follow upon ROG.

SW-MOTECH CRASH BARS
SW-MOTECH SKID PLATE
SC-PROJECT GP65 EXHAUST FOR AFRICA TWIN
DYNOJET POWER COMMANDER V
BMC AIR FILTER
ARAI XD-4 VISION RED FROST HELMET
ARAI XD-4 DARK SMOKE VISOR - PIN LOCK READY
ARAI XD-4 DARK SMOKE PIN LOCK INSERT
KRIEGA FORK SEALS COVERS
BARKBUSTERS VPS LEVER & Wind Protection Handguards w/ EDGE PROTECTION KIT
DENALI SOUNDBOMB COMPACT DUAL-TONE AIR HORN
ALTRIDER DUAL CONTROL BRAKE SYSTEM
GIVI SIDE STAND
Twalcom Off-Road Footpegs
HONDA OEM USB Charger socket power outlet
RUGGED ROADS REAR BRAKE RESERVOIR GUARD
RUGGED ROADS RADIATOR GUARD
RUGGED ROADS FRONT FENDER LIFT KIT
HELD HIP & BACK PROTECTOR (SAS-TEC Back)

PARTS/GEAR I've received recently but have not installed/worn:
HELD HAKUNA MATATA JACKET
HELD MATATA PANTS
ALPINESTARS TECH 7
FILM PAINT PROTECTION - FULL KIT
ALPINESTARS SX-1 KNEE GUARDS
PERFECT SQUEEZE
I know there's more but I can't remember off the top of my head

FOLLOWING WILL BE ORDERED IN NOVEMBER/DECEMBER:

SW-MOTECH PANNIER RACK AND CASES (ALL 3)
OFF-ROAD TIRES (haven't decided which to order)
12 VOLT ACCESSORY SOCKET
AUXILIARY LIGHTS
PORTABLE TIRE COMPRESSOR
PC8 w/ splitter for the front aux port
SW-MOTECH HEADER PIPE GUARDS
Am I missing anything else?

***RANT****
I'll tell you one thing...I will never, NEVER buy another ADV bike. This will be my one and only ADV bike EVER. I have never spent so much money on accessories for a road/off-road motorcycle. I feel sick to the stomach for spending so much./END RANT :wink2:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Strongly advise you get and install the PC8 first before installing any of the non-OEM electrical stuff (i.e., Denali horn).
This is why I love the members on this forum. I would not have known about this. Thank you so much!

·
Registered
166 Posts
You don't need the Honda harness, or the six way connector. Get the PC-8 and his equivalent splitter for the front aux port. I recommend getting a different 12V power outlet for the front with a higher amperage. It'll make it easier to use that air compressor. I went with SW Motech (15 amp). I don't see a center stand on your list, that's a must have!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You don't need the Honda harness, or the six way connector. Get the PC-8 and his equivalent splitter for the front aux port. I recommend getting a different 12V power outlet for the front with a higher amperage. It'll make it easier to use that air compressor. I went with SW Motech (15 amp). I don't see a center stand on your list, that's a must have!
Thanks. I'll take those off my list and add the splitter.

Oops...I thought I had listed the 12v power outlet. I'll have to order that next week. The center stand I bought couple months ago. Being that it's 2mths old and installed, I didn't list it. LOL

Any necessities you guys think I'm missing please list.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think the only things you haven't mentioned are ergonomic choices that are highly personal, like bar risers, throttle lock, heated grips, and the windscreen adjuster or a different windscreen. I tend to farkle in little spurts as I realize what I need while accumulating miles and the mood strikes me. My most recent additions were the admore light bar auxiliary brake light, Excel throttle control, and the camel adv right footpeg mount brace.

·
Registered
480 Posts
How much do you weigh? If 100kg plus and you intend to go two up with loads of luggage look to do something with the rear shock, if you are a regular weight you will get by with what is on it.

If you plan to fit aux lights later you might as well purchase the Honda fog switch, it is not too expensive and looks neat in the dash rather than a handlebar mount and the Motech bars have an optional aux light mount but they can be fitted easily anytime once you decide on your lights (if you want them of course)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Received some parts. Don't know which parts though. I haven't had the chance to open them. Been busy at work and doing house chores. That and recovering from hip injury. [email protected] hip gave out from jogging across the street just to beat oncoming traffic. Getting old sucks!

I think the only things you haven't mentioned are ergonomic choices that are highly personal, like bar risers, throttle lock, heated grips, and the windscreen adjuster or a different windscreen. I tend to farkle in little spurts as I realize what I need while accumulating miles and the mood strikes me. My most recent additions were the admore light bar auxiliary brake light, Excel throttle control, and the camel adv right footpeg mount brace.
Bar height is perfectly fine for me. I'm not big on heated grip (thermal insulated gloves have kept my hands dry/warm). I'm quite used to wind buffeting from riding sportbikes so there's no need for windscreen adjusters. But my tune may change once my ARAI w/peak arrives.

How much do you weigh? If 100kg plus and you intend to go two up with loads of luggage look to do something with the rear shock, if you are a regular weight you will get by with what is on it.

If you plan to fit aux lights later you might as well purchase the Honda fog switch, it is not too expensive and looks neat in the dash rather than a handlebar mount and the Motech bars have an optional aux light mount but they can be fitted easily anytime once you decide on your lights (if you want them of course)
2up? I have a hard time keeping the bike, let alone myself upright! No way I'm doing 2up! LOL

Added Honda Fog Light switch to the list. Thank you!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Be prepared to spend time breaking in the Stars Tech 7's as they feel like blocks of wood when you first put them on. You wont be able to get your toe under the gear lever if its still in the factory position so you will have to raise it up on the spindle as the rod doesn't have enough adjustment.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Be prepared to spend time breaking in the Stars Tech 7's as they feel like blocks of wood when you first put them on. You wont be able to get your toe under the gear lever if its still in the factory position so you will have to raise it up on the spindle as the rod doesn't have enough adjustment.
Seriously, thanks for the heads up. You may have prevented a potential fall.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
So I finally got around to opening the packages this past weekend and I received a good chunk of my order. The exhaust & helmet won't be here till late September, if not October.

Which is fine with me because it'll give me time to install the other parts till the exhaust arrives.

But here's my question to you guys, is there any particular part I should install first to avoid duplicate part removal. For example, I heard if one intends to install an aftermarket exhaust then to install the exhaust first before installing the skid plate. So, should I start with the air filter/power commander/pc8 first?

PARTS I RECEIVED

SW-MOTECH CRASH BARS
SW-MOTECH SKID PLATE
BMC AIR FILTER
KRIEGA FORK SEALS COVERS
BARKBUSTERS VPS LEVER & Wind Protection Handguards w/ EDGE PROTECTION KIT
DENALI SOUNDBOMB COMPACT DUAL-TONE AIR HORN
HELD HIP & BACK PROTECTOR (SAS-TEC Back)
FILM PAINT PROTECTION - FULL KIT
PERFECT SQUEEZE

PARTS I'M STILL WAITING FOR

SC-PROJECT GP65 EXHAUST FOR AFRICA TWIN
DYNOJET POWER COMMANDER V
ALTRIDER DUAL CONTROL BRAKE SYSTEM
GIVI SIDE STAND
Twalcom Off-Road Footpegs
PC8 w/ splitter for the front aux port
HONDA FOG LIGHT SWITCH

BTW guys, I don't know if I had mentioned this or not but I spent 3 months surfing the web for the best deal and the vendor (www.cyclesector.com) I ordered my stuff from was by far the cheapest. For those that know me (which most, if not all of you, don't...haha), knows I'm a penny pincher so every dollar saved matters. I asked the dealer if he could set something special for me to pass along to you guys. So PM me if you want details. FYI - I am not affiliated with the dealer.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Received exhaust yesterday. Here are some teaser pics.

I was actually surprised and relieved to find the exhaust can came with a removable DB Killer. SC race exhausts are extremely loud, and I was afraid I made a mistake by choosing a race exhaust without one. SC Project's website states only the GP Exhaust model has a removable DB Killer which is definitely not what I received.

I still have some house chores that require my attention before I can start the installation of all the goodies. :(

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts