Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a 2018 AT manual version with the Eliiy HY110 Li Ion battery. I also have the Eastern Beaver PC8 fusebox. Connected to an UNswitched circuit on the PC8 I have an SAE connector. I have not used a battery tender/charger on this battery before and it has been just fine for the past 3 winters. I don't ride at all in the November - March timeframe, so I'm thinking it may not be a bad idea to hook it up to a tender.
My question is, can the battery tender be hooked up to the SAE connector going through the PC8 to the battery, or must the tender be hooked up directly to the battery? I'm pretty clueless when it comes to anything even remotely related to electricity.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Is this right? I bought the Honda Optimate charger for my 2022's lithium battery. Something seems fishy. I keep the charger plugged into the bike when I'm not riding it. Lately, I'll go out for a 40 minute ride. System voltage while riding stays around 13.5 - 14.0 volts. When I get back, several minutes after shutting the bike off, I plug the charger into the motorcycle. After it does it's connection/self-check, light # 3 comes on indicating the charger is on a "low voltage" mode. What's got me scratching my head is that it stays on that mode indefinitely. The notes that came with the charger seem to indicate that when the battery is fully charged light #4 should be lit indicating maintenance/"Optimize" mode. If I power down the charger, and disconnect from the bike, then power it up and reconnect, #3 "low voltage" lights briefly after the self check and then #4 "maintenance" lights indicating the trickle mode I'd expect. Is anyone else seeing this?

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
Could be a small bug in their maintenance algorithm.

However maybe of more interest: The lithium battery doesn't need the trickle charge, unlike traditional lead acid-based batteries. You can probably just charge it a couple times a year, if even that. The exception would be if your bike is drawing extra current from the battery while in storage (e.g. an active alarm system, etc.).

·
Registered
570 Posts
Which Optimate model? I have the 4S 5A and for my 18 ATAS with HY110 it goes through the normal charging sequence to the green maintain light. I don't usually leave the charger on the bike in maintain mode as - in my experience doesn't, self-discharge much.

What is measured battery voltage before you plug in the charger? With the 4S 5A charger instructions, it can enter mode #3 Low Voltage Save if below 12.8V and a healthy battery should progress to charge mode within 4 hours.

Have you tried with the battery disconnected from bike?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Please can anyone help me regarding a 2021 AT and charging the HY110 battery? I understand it's a Lithium Ion battery and yet the recommended charger is an Optimate lithium charger but the manual for the Optimate states LiFePO4 only and states not for other lithium ion batteries. So I bought a Noco genius 2 but that states in the manual not for lithium batteries without a battery management system. It also isn't lithium specific and so I am worried about using it. UK dealers seem a little confused. Does the battery have a BMS? Should I use the Noco or a lithium specific even if it's for the lithium iron phosphate (and not advised to charge a Li Ion in the manual) I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.
I bought the Honda Optimate charger, built for the bike's battery. I plug the bike in when I get home and unplug it just before ridding. Works like a charm. There is no warranty on the Lithium battery, I figured this course of action has the fewest question marks.

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
I bought the Honda Optimate charger, built for the bike's battery. I plug the bike in when I get home and unplug it just before ridding. Works like a charm. There is no warranty on the Lithium battery, I figured this course of action has the fewest question marks.
Does Honda put its logo on the OptiMate-branded charger?

21 - 30 of 30 Posts