Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have ordered the plus 20mm rear & fork Hyperpro springs, should have asked the question earlier but has anyone put any miles on a bike fitted with them? I ordered them as I am 107kg and cant achieve the correct preload settings/

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have the rear +20mm only, fit that first before doing the front as you will find it is all you need. Only go +20mm both ends if you want the bike to sit higher and you are a lighter rider not experiencing excess sag at the rear. I am 125kg and can easily achieve a great balance from 125kg-200kg load with +20mm rear only. Doing the front too will just mimic the same problem you are already experiencing by lifting both ends. Use the search in the forum for Removing the Rear Shock for a table on SAG from my experience. There are a good few threads on sag and rear suspension, use the search feature to pick up on them.

Reactions: cckelly67

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the rear +20mm only, fit that first before doing the front as you will find it is all you need. Only go +20mm both ends if you want the bike to sit higher and you are a lighter rider not experiencing excess sag at the rear. I am 125kg and can easily achieve a great balance from 125kg-200kg load with +20mm rear only. Doing the front too will just mimic the same problem you are already experiencing by lifting both ends. Use the search in the forum for Removing the Rear Shock for a table on SAG from my experience. There are a good few threads on sag and rear suspension, use the search feature to pick up on them.
I thought the same, changing rear spring is enough, but after that i got my shock revalved and things went much better. And recently i've changed fork springs too, and now bike is amazing. Change fork springs too, bike improves its behavior everywhere, not only off-road.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I thought the same, changing rear spring is enough, but after that i got my shock revalved and things went much better. And recently i've changed fork springs too, and now bike is amazing. Change fork springs too, bike improves its behavior everywhere, not only off-road.
I changed my rear spring because of SAG setings which was effective for me. I have no doubt I can spend more and more money on suspension making things better, so could of Honda of course, at extra cost, but ultimately at a price. I really think you (the royal you, not you in particular) need to understand what problem your are trying to solve with suspension if it is indeed a problem before you blindly change any aspect of it with big $$$ spend. I know my new spring is overwhelming my rear damping somewhat but not enough to warrant more suspension work at extra cost for my mainly road use. When you say you changed your front spring what problem were you trying to fix? Excess SAG, linear to progressive action or the reverse, extra ride height, firmness, for road or off-road? How exactly does your bike behave better everywhere, in what way, what was the change in the spring from stock, spring rate or something else?

It is very interesting to see people with first time "long travel suspension" bike ownership and what they do to reduce this long travel and cure the bike of "excessive fork dive". It is not excessive fork dive, the AT does not have anti-dive forks, they are long travel for a reason and as such dive on the road when braking. I have no doubt some "expert" will tell me they can cure this dive on the road and provide full travel off-road with a specific setup. If so is it because Honda are stupid and never thought of this or does everyone else knows better or is the solution an expensive upgrade for which the average punter is not prepared to pay on a new bike if deployed by Honda from the get go? If it is just a simple low cost spring change and revalve why didnt Honda do that too?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Eltel's cage has been rattled, but all valid questions to which I would also like answers. I need to fit the rear spring because of my weight and weight I have added to the bike (centre stand/crash bars/luggage etc,). I am going to spend some time studying motorcycle suspension. I will take advice from Hyperpro about fitting the front springs after Eltels post which seems to make sense. This is my 1st bike so I don't know much but am learning rapidly. I do intend to use the bike offroad and have done so already, but more so just exploring and not intentionally sourcing offroad routes. I don't think the bike is a motocross/Enduro and wouldn't treat it as such, but with 21/18 wheels and long travel suspension I bought it as I was led to believe it has some offroad ability which is ideal for my intended use.
It is very difficult to determine on these Forums between who really knows what they are talking about and who just gets a bit excited and offers their advice. I personally don't offer advice if I don't know what I am talking about and in this case I don't. (NOT THAT I AM SUGGESTING ANYONE ELSE HAS regarding this post either) but I have seen a lot of conflicting information in other posts.
All I know is I rode my bike around a couple of times a week for a while, then looked at the suspension settings, maxed the preload on the rear but could not achieve the required/recommended setting, increased preload on front (did not max as was trying to achieve better geometry I think?) don't know what the correct bike handling terminology is, but IT WENT ROUND CORNERS MUCH BETTER and all of a sudden my oldest boy on his Yamaha MT07 who had been leaving me in his dust was nowhere to be seen on the scabby back roads round here. p.s I know I should have looked at the suspension sooner!

·
Registered
977 Posts
If it works for you then it's perfect. I've read post after post on forums about inadequate suspensions on every bike imaginable. If you're not experiencing problems then I wouldn't worry about it.
I find the bike fine for my 200lbs with gear and panniers for touring and gravel road travel. The bike does marvellously. But, for those inclined to spend the money to tweak the bike to their liking - all the power to you. I can think of many other things to spend those thousands of dollars on but I respect that some riders want what they want. I don't agree that the suspension is not thoughtfully built or adequate for the bike - maybe just not to some riders liking.
Frankly, this is one of the comfiest and versatile bikes I've had. I love it! As it is.

·
Registered
977 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts