Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Are you connected with your helmet? Why?

• Yes

Votes: 24 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • Music

Votes: 20 55.6%
  • Phone

Votes: 17 47.2%
  • Sat-nav/GPS

Votes: 14 38.9%
  • Group/passenger intercom

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • Prefer the notes of my exhaust

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Earplugs - prefer it quite as safety as it can possibly be.

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • Not connected YET! but hopefully soon.

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Not interested think it’s a distraction from riding

Votes: 4 11.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A while back I noticed that the Face ID on my phone recognizes me in my full face helmet (shield up of course) LOL...
I was a bit curious on how many here are “connected” with their helmet, and for what...

Another question.. Does a “good” song make you drive different?
LOL I have a few songs that bring out some wheelie’s and hole-shots from lights/stop signs...

·
Registered
140 Posts
I bought a Schuberth helmet and paid extra for the intercom unit. It won't pair with my friends Shoei with Sena (who make the Schuberth com) and it seems like a huge waste of time. The only time time I listen to music is on a long boring highway. The rest of the time it's distracting and I barely use it. Riding my bike is one of the rare moments I can be inside my own head, which is the last thing some people are comfortable with but I like it. Helmet comms take away more from my riding experience than they give, so I could lose mine in the ocean and not care! (It's ok I'll put it in the bin Gretta!)

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm with scorch on this. When riding I enjoy being as connected to my bike and the surroundings as possible. Riding can have a thought clearing meditative quality... I also enjoy the random thoughts and observations. Anything added in the helmet as far as audio, I find very distracting. I generally ride solo so comms are not an issue.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I wear hearing aids, both sides and my hearing loss is textbook. Caused entirely by years of riding with no defence against noise. Consequently any kind of connection is wasted on me. I wear ear plugs to prevent further deterioration. Most notable side effect is my GPS has to be purely visual.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I actually prefer my exhaust note over anything else. But I have a SENA in case my wife needs to get a hold of me or if anyone I ride with has a communicator. But 99% of the time it's silent. I love music, but not over the sound of my motorcycles

They also don't work that great. In that when I ride in the mountains the second a person is gone from line of sight like rounding a bend, I lose contact with them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I bought the Sena unit that snaps in to my Shoei Neotec II. Mostly wanted to hear navigation cues, and some music.

I like kind of a variety of music, in general, but I almost always gravitate to classical style (instrumental) while riding. Generally at a pretty low volume.

Won't usually take/make calls while riding but guess I could.

Have not tried pairing with intercom; usually ride by myself.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought a Schuberth helmet and paid extra for the intercom unit. It won't pair with my friends Shoei with Sena (who make the Schuberth com) and it seems like a huge waste of time. The only time time I listen to music is on a long boring highway. The rest of the time it's distracting and I barely use it. Riding my bike is one of the rare moments I can be inside my own head, which is the last thing some people are comfortable with but I like it. Helmet comms take away more from my riding experience than they give, so I could lose mine in the ocean and not care! (It's ok I'll put it in the bin Gretta!)
Yea the manufacturer’s WERE very brand specific, but now they are moving away from that. Once one offered to be able to connect to other brands the other brands pretty much had to follow suit...
Nothing wrong with some good relaxation/reflection time..

·
Registered
47 Posts
The number one thing we hated when my wife and I snowmobiled was we couldn't talk to each other when there was a question or issue. I'd be long gone if she had a problem. When we got motorcycles her number one thing was she wanted comms so we could "communicate." (She is never a passenger. She has her own.)

I didn't drink the Sena coolaid (IMO their brand recognition was bought through free products instead of actual quality/functionality) and did my research before getting comms. My wife and I have Cardo PacTalks. They are actually waterproof (I've done days worth of rainy roads) and have worked excellent for the last 2 years we have had them. In fact I just bought the audio kit to install in my new helmet once I get it. It will connect to just about anything but I mainly use it for music and GPS prompts on trips. The range is just shy of a kilometre with just the two of us.

My commute is 10-15 minutes and sometimes I would play music but my new Africa Twin will demand my full attention while I learn this much bigger bike.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm with scorch on this. When riding I enjoy being as connected to my bike and the surroundings as possible. Riding can have a thought clearing meditative quality... I also enjoy the random thoughts and observations. Anything added in the helmet as far as audio, I find very distracting. I generally ride solo so comms are not an issue.
With me, riding is just a unconscious thing, I really don’t even think about the bike or what I got to do with it. But the more things I have going on while I’m riding the more I become connected to the bike and surroundings. Music influences that connection too, some songs get holeshots and wheelies out of me and I’m sure one day it will get me some blinking red & blue lights behind me cause I just HAD to crack that throttle...

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wear hearing aids, both sides and my hearing loss is textbook. Caused entirely by years of riding with no defence against noise. Consequently any kind of connection is wasted on me. I wear ear plugs to prevent further deterioration. Most notable side effect is my GPS has to be purely visual.
Sorry to hear that, I know my hearing has suffered a little bit because of the same thing as you, but thankfully it not much worse than the average person of my age. Funny story about my first MOTORCYCLE GPS, since they don’t have external speakers on the unit I got my first Bluetooth for my helmet. Got it all installed and for a trial run I’d declined to use it for a trip to my best friend hose about a 130 mile trip one way. So off I go; I know all the quick and short routes but just wanted to see what way it took me. All is going well for the first 10/15 min. got music going, it mutes down and the voice prompts chime in, but then, after a voice prompt to make a tun the music doesn’t come back, I stop restart everything and all is well till the next prompt, then same issue. So I say screw it, I’ll figure it out later. So now I’m just traveling on my route, One voice prompt about a tun and now I’m on a stretch of road with no turns for about 70 miles, it’s close to an hour ride with the few small towns I pass through. So no peep from my GPS at all and of course after a bit I forgot that the thing was even on. Yep just cruising down the road when suddenly outta the blue there’s a loud “in one half mile make a left turn”
Scared the piss out of me I actually jumped, I forgot all about that dam thing, luckily no one was on the road near me to witness it. :grin2:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I actually prefer my exhaust note over anything else. But I have a SENA in case my wife needs to get a hold of me or if anyone I ride with has a communicator. But 99% of the time it's silent. I love music, but not over the sound of my motorcycles

They also don't work that great. In that when I ride in the mountains the second a person is gone from line of sight like rounding a bend, I lose contact with them.
Don’t ride with ppl to often either so I just take the very few calls from the wife or call someone, I think all of last year that total was around 8. LOL I don’t use my cell phone much as a phone even when not riding, it’s more of a PDA and for music.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The number one thing we hated when my wife and I snowmobiled was we couldn't talk to each other when there was a question or issue. I'd be long gone if she had a problem. When we got motorcycles her number one thing was she wanted comms so we could "communicate." (She is never a passenger. She has her own.)

I didn't drink the Sena coolaid (IMO their brand recognition was bought through free products instead of actual quality/functionality) and did my research before getting comms. My wife and I have Cardo PacTalks. They are actually waterproof (I've done days worth of rainy roads) and have worked excellent for the last 2 years we have had them. In fact I just bought the audio kit to install in my new helmet once I get it. It will connect to just about anything but I mainly use it for music and GPS prompts on trips. The range is just shy of a kilometre with just the two of us.

My commute is 10-15 minutes and sometimes I would play music but my new Africa Twin will demand my full attention while I learn this much bigger bike.
My other half don’t ride with me very often :frown2: :grin2: but when she does it’s as a passenger so I got one for her so she doesn’t have to shout..

I’ve heard that about Sena and waterproofing, but knock on wood, never had issue with my first one I had for 5 years or my second one. I’ve ridden in HEAVY down pours and rain a lot, even some storms bad enough for hail and no problems

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bought the Sena unit that snaps in to my Shoei Neotec II. Mostly wanted to hear navigation cues, and some music.

I like kind of a variety of music, in general, but I almost always gravitate to classical style (instrumental) while riding. Generally at a pretty low volume.

Won't usually take/make calls while riding but guess I could.

Have not tried pairing with intercom; usually ride by myself.
Yea I listen to music a LOT but need to be careful of my play list, some songs transform me in to a hoonigan and wheelies, speed and holeshots become mandatory... >:)

·
Registered
243 Posts
https://youtu.be/ACF2-Oh5vRE

I'm using the Cardo Freecom2+

- I always use earplugs, even before I had the Cardo, cuts down on wind noise, protects your hearing and even makes the music sound better, and I still hear my exhaust.
- Not all roads are super exciting and listening to music you like is pretty cool. Initially I thought it would be distracting, but it really isn't not more than just thinking of random things while riding.
- I don't use it to talk on the phone, that I consider distracting. Even talking with my passenger I usually try to keep it at a minimum, and as opposed to talking to someone on the phone, she sees the same thing you do, so if more attention is required, she will stop talking. We usually just talk to determine when to stop for food or to stretch out.

- I do connect to my phone for GPS instructions, its quite nice to get directions without taking your eyes off the road.

Overall I highly recommend these systems, just use them reasonably.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got the interphone tour, having previously had an interphone F4. Last year I rode to London for the day with my brother and it was great to chat between bikes as we were riding, and was especially useful while riding through London for turns etc, allowing me to focus on London drivers!

I occasionally listen to music while riding, sometimes use sat nav voice directions, sometimes chat between bikes, sometimes have nothing but the sound of the bike and the road. It depends on the situation and how I feel.

I always us earplugs as my helmet is really noisy, the interphone is still comfortably audible.

·
Registered
327 Posts
https://youtu.be/ACF2-Oh5vRE

I'm using the Cardo Freecom2+

- I always use earplugs, even before I had the Cardo, cuts down on wind noise, protects your hearing and even makes the music sound better, and I still hear my exhaust.
- Not all roads are super exciting and listening to music you like is pretty cool. Initially I thought it would be distracting, but it really isn't not more than just thinking of random things while riding.
- I don't use it to talk on the phone, that I consider distracting. Even talking with my passenger I usually try to keep it at a minimum, and as opposed to talking to someone on the phone, she sees the same thing you do, so if more attention is required, she will stop talking. We usually just talk to determine when to stop for food or to stretch out.

- I do connect to my phone for GPS instructions, its quite nice to get directions without taking your eyes off the road.

Overall I highly recommend these systems, just use them reasonably.
Sounds good Speedo. :wink2:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've got the interphone tour, having previously had an interphone F4. Last year I rode to London for the day with my brother and it was great to chat between bikes as we were riding, and was especially useful while riding through London for turns etc, allowing me to focus on London drivers!

I occasionally listen to music while riding, sometimes use sat nav voice directions, sometimes chat between bikes, sometimes have nothing but the sound of the bike and the road. It depends on the situation and how I feel.

I always us earplugs as my helmet is really noisy, the interphone is still comfortably audible.
Yea, there’s no doubt having them is a LOT better than not ,when with a another bike or group.

·
Registered
228 Posts
My Sena is there for "incoming" calls and 911 on the auto-dial. In addition, I do use it when riding with others to communicate road conditions and to get a good laugh out of some of the %(#$*%^& that I hear. When riding solo I listen to the radio if available, but always have earplugs in to keep the ambient noise out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a similar problem. As a teenager in Air Cadets we fired .22 caliber conversions of the Enfield .303 on an indoor range without hearing protection. I rode all over with an open face helmet. Then I took up flying and spent a good part of 300 hours flying unmuffled airplanes without hearing protection. Also worked in a factory that was very noisy in most areas. I asked for hearing protection at the time and was told to man up and accept it. How things have changed. Now no one goes into those areas without hearing protection under threat of prosecution under labour laws. Over 30 minutes, sometimes less, at highway speeds and I am wearing earplugs while riding to preserve what hearing is left. Since hearing aids won't help, I guess I will keep wearing ear plugs and stick with reading the GPS instead of listening to it while riding. At least there is enough hearing left to function in traffic safely. Enjoy riding as long as you can.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts