Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I live in Canada (I know) and I usually have heated grips on my bikes. They extend my riding season by a couple of months per year. But I find I change bikes so often and keep selling my bikes with freshly installed heated grips. This timeI thought I would try something different with the Africa twin.

I installed a venture heat, 12v heated jacket and am waiting for the gloves to come back in stock. This way, I'm done with installing grips on bikes going forward and can keep the jacket and gloves in my hard case anytime I want. I routed the cable under the seat and the connecter just sticks out in between the very front of the seat and the gas tank. I can still stand on the bike with the cable connected.

Just wanted to put this out there in case you want another option to heated grips.

It's been so warm hear lately that I haven't really had a chance to use it.

It also has a remote that you can put on your handlebars and cables at the sleeves to attach gloves. I think you can attach pants to it also, but I haven't found my legs ever being the problem in cold weather.

Before this, I would use those ororo heated hoodies, but they don't last and you can't really use it for a long trip. I've always wanted to try a hardwired solution.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’ve been thinking about going this route also. Heated grips heat the palms of your hands gloves heat the whole hand. I’m getting soft in my old age. I’ve always wanted a heat jacket so glove seem like a better option to grips.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Good for you! I have said for years that heated gloves are better than heated grips. Heated grips heat the inside of your hand. Who rides with their pals up? I need the outside heated. That is where the cold wind & rain hits.

I also went with Hippo Hands. Now I have warm & dry hands when the weather is less than optimal. Love my hippos.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I purchased for the wife for xmas, a set of gloves from Motion Heat Canada
She finally just tried them out in the side x side this past week, in below zero and snow. She loved them.
I was going to buy a set for myself, but now going to look at the Venture Heat gear, they have quite the selection.

I also have the Hippo hands on the 2017 twin, just took them off for the season, they make a huge difference, especially in the rain of Vancouver.

I’m also on the list for a pair of the Mosko Moto ectotherm electric puffy jackets when they finally get back in stock, had ordered us a pair of XL’s for xmas, though they fit just a bit snug, returned them and of course were out of XXL’s.

Let’s hope for warmer and drier riding weather soon.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Warm & Safe Heated Gear has a great reputation for providing quality heated gear. This season is over, but for next season I'd like to try the heat layer shirt and heated gloves.
The OP lives in Canada and only now is buying heated gear 😱.
In the UK I use the Warmnsafe stuff right up to the end of May and often in September. Remember you don't have to switch it on and the heated layer shirt that TrekMoto and I have bought is just like a thin fleece if you don't have the juice turned on (but bliss if you are riding home late at night and it's dropped to 8 or 9 deg c
I think Warmnsafe make the best jackets, shirt, pants and socks but I didn't like their gloves. Fortunately any of the Gerbings gloves work with the leads that come out of the ends of the warmnsafe sleeves. Gerbing have caught up a bit on their clothes, and their jackets actually look smarter, but their neck sizing is weird. After some bad experiences with Keis I steer clear of them now.
And yes the dual remote control is well worth having. On the CRF1000 it can be velcro'd next to the instrument binnacle but I can't see any similar space on the later models.
Mike
Edit: Just realised TrekMoto, you haven't bought the shirt yet. I have both their shirt and their jacket. The shirt provides enough heat for all but the coldest of days as long as you have a windproof jacket over the top

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm a big fan of my Keis heated gloves, too. They're snug, with multiple velcro straps to assure they don't leak air.
I rode through the Cal/Nevada sierras this winter with comfortable hands, which were always my weakest link.
My wife bought me silk baselayers, which are ridiculously comfortable, and go under my riding suit. So far, the combination keeps me happy.
After reading issues with left throttle heater cables, gloves that short after a handful of miles (see what I did there?), the purchase has come in handy.

-Rob

So I live in Canada (I know) and I usually have heated grips on my bikes. They extend my riding season by a couple of months per year. But I find I change bikes so often and keep selling my bikes with freshly installed heated grips. This timeI thought I would try something different with the Africa twin.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts