Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this means I am riding too hard or my suspension is not setup correctly (have a Touratech replacement unit on the back) and set to 55 clicks (SAG about 30% used). I have now lost two plates through rough fire service road riding (yesterday did 120k) and vibration / pothole banging... Has anyone else suffered this problem and if so what solutions have you come up with ? Thanks in advance…

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
2,996 Posts
Not sure if this means I am riding too hard or my suspension is not setup correctly (have a Touratech replacement unit on the back) and set to 55 clicks (SAG about 30% used). I have now lost two plates through rough fire service road riding (yesterday did 120k) and vibration / pothole banging... Has anyone else suffered this problem and if so what solutions have you come up with ? Thanks in advance…

On my old bike before I got my lockbox for the plate I almost lost mine a few times then I stared using self locking nuts, had no issues till then or after I put on that lockbox.
I put that lockbox on my ATAS.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On my old bike before I got my lockbox for the plate I almost lost mine a few times then I stared using self locking nuts, had no issues till then or after I put on that lockbox.
I put that lockbox on my ATAS.
So with that 'heavy thing' mounted under the plate itself it stayed on using self-locking?

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2,996 Posts
So with that 'heavy thing' mounted under the plate itself it stayed on using self-locking?

Yea. After I had the same issue you had; anything I mount on the plate area has self-locking nuts. I will add, tho I really love that lockbox under the plate (keep my registration and insurance papers in a ziplock bag in there), it does push the plate out the back a bit farther so the light doesn’t really shine on the plate. Also I’d check on if the Canadian plate will fit, since you guys got those off shape plates.

·
Super Moderator
6,405 Posts
My plates always fit every bike owned, including some off 'merican models I had. Never given a thought until this Forum (2020).

·
Registered
979 Posts
I had mine stolen since it was a personalized one (someone must have wanted it as a souvenir in Northern Québec.).
I used hardware that requires a special tool, some Locktite, and just in case I've wrapped a few zip ties on the holes in case it 'falls off' again. :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. Could someone stateside please measure your plate for me so I can see if the lockbox is a solution that would work?

·
Super Moderator
6,405 Posts
I had mine stolen since it was a personalized one (someone must have wanted it as a souvenir in Northern Québec.).
I used hardware that requires a special tool, some Locktite, and just in case I've wrapped a few zip ties on the holes in case it 'falls off' again. :)
Jeez. That is pretty sad regarding NoQC. Was it an Alberta plate? (an Ontario plate would likely do it too :rolleyes: ).

Another sad note is the extra personal effort (and COST) to secure the plate where the shipping far exceeds the product ...

·
Registered
726 Posts
Did your bolts vibrate loose or did your plate crack and you still have bolts on the bike with bits of plate?
Nylock nuts on SS bolts with washer And Zap-straps for extra security.
never lost a plate. Don’t want or need a license plate safety box to store stuff in a very poor environmental location.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did your bolts vibrate loose or did your plate crack and you still have bolts on the bike with bits of plate?
Nylock nuts on SS bolts with washer And Zap-straps for extra security.
never lost a plate. Don’t want or need a license plate safety box to store stuff in a very poor environmental location.
No bolts left. Looks like one vibrated off and the other was broken by the movement of the plate swinging back and forth. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Yes. An Alberta plate - BGADV.
The plate replacement was another $200 plus these pieces of hardware, although I didn't pay that exorbitant shipping.
It's been fine since. :)

Jeez. That is pretty sad regarding NoQC. Was it an Alberta plate? (an Ontario plate would likely do it too :rolleyes: ).

Another sad note is the extra personal effort (and COST) to secure the plate where the shipping far exceeds the product ...

View attachment 54875

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2,996 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions. Could someone stateside please measure your plate for me so I can see if the lockbox is a solution that would work?

I'll measure the one I have..
And post you a pic of how it looks..

·
Registered
268 Posts
So, I was giving my bike a quick clean during a trip and noticed on the bolts for my number plate was loose, so I reached around the back to put my fingers on the nut to hold it while tightening the bolt. Funny thing is that my fingers found no nut, so I couldn't tighten the bolt - I was amazed that the bolt was still sitting there. The other nut & bolt were fine and still tight.

So yeah, not so good, went for a ride to the nearest hardware store and bought a couple of nylock nuts, put 'em on nice & tight.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2,996 Posts

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2,996 Posts
I am pretty sure I would crush that multiple times backing up into the dang patio table. :rolleyes:
That box is pretty sturdy, the back overlaps the lid or I guess you can say the rim of the lid slides inside the base.
Lol I‘d say that when it’s closed you could literally run the thing over with a car and it would be fine, but it is made of a hard breakable plastic

·
Super Moderator
6,405 Posts
That box is pretty sturdy, the back overlaps the lid or I guess you can say the rim of the lid slides inside the base.
Lol I‘d say that when it’s closed you could literally run the thing over with a car and it would be fine, but it is made of a hard breakable plastic
Good to know. I guess the license plate would [continue] to get the beating then.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2,996 Posts
Good to know. I guess the license plate would [continue] to get the beating then.
Yea, some how mine always looks like it was laying in the middle of a trail and 10 people ran over it. I have no clue just why the thing always looks so beat-up.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts